Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
WARNING! Massive Art Dump! [ New Art! 1/18/09 p.5] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Improving?
  Yes, very much so
  Not very noticably
  Not at all, (Comment on Re-occuring mistakes please)
View Results

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 pm
I have two art accounts if anyone want to become friends or anything, or are just interested in seeing more pieces of art.

FurAffinity
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/eclipsedsoul/

DeviantArt
http://eclipsed-soul91.deviantart.com/

Tools of the trade
Line Art/Sketching
Intuos Wacom Tablet
0.5 Mechanical Pencil
Gel Ink Pen

Coloring
Photoshop CS3
Crayola Colored Pencils 50 Pack

I like Redline sketches, because it shows me more precisely what I did wrong, leave Egos and High Class Scientific terms at the door please, I am here to improve, not be insulted/misguided!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 am
i've noticed that you don't use the clavicle correctly

the clavicle starts where the neck ends and the sternum begins. and depending on gender its either has a slight curve(male) or goes straight (female) to the very top of the where the deltoid muscles start.

just so you have a better understanding of the clavicle. the clavicle and the shoulder blade make up the socket part of the shoulder joint. its the reason why our shoulder has so much range of motion

if that was unclear or you didn't understand something let me know

as for your photography have you heard of or read about the rule of thirds or the golden ratio?

ideally having your focus in the middle of the photo is undesirable it makes for uninteresting composition and it makes the eye stop dead. you want to get the eye to move through or around the picture. just remember when making a comp the eye will always naturally go to the brightest thing in the pic 1st.

as for angles for your photography. the best tip for you is to not be timid with it. if you're gonna angle something... angle the crap out it. you don;t want it to seem like it was a mistake  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:27 pm
Okay, the part dealing with the human anatomy, I'd need a visualization to piece the instructions together. I've never heard of a clavicle before ^^; -digs out her anatomy book-

The camera, I promise to post up other ASAP, I know a centered piece is the worst kind to take, but I love how clarity of how the flower took (it was windy and a pain)

Just in case I am mistaking what you said about my photography can you please tell me what you meant?

* Edit
Ohhh the collar bone -feels stupid- I need to bring the breasts lower? or the collarbone higher?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm
Collarbone higher my dear : )

Mmm, for your face style, I'd maybe shrink the eye size a little, because if your eyes are big, it puts focus on it, and if your lips are large also, it makes the face to busy and full.

I redlined and gave you some homework, it'll be due in 7 days : )
I'd like 1 of the headshots colored, and you can look up any tutorial to find a way to shade/color it.
I will give you pointers as well : )
You can draw any characters, as long as there faces have these angles on them.
Watch any anime series that has a pretty dynamic feel for arms and isn't to anatomically off. (like deathnote or something)
And just pause it and then grab a piece of paper and sketch the arms as you see them : )
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I didn't do a superduper job on redlining the arms, but I hope you see where I went with them?

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:30 pm
-Solutes- Aye Aye El Capi`tain! I'll start immediately, and thanks for the input, any advise on tracing the lineart with a tablets so it doesn't come out weird?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 pm
Do you have pen pressure activated?
That can always help.
As well as drawing big then shrinking.
but I don't normally do that -is shunned ;w;-

Does your tablet have a driver installed and is it working properly?
Sometimes when I start up photoshop it won't show my tablet, so its like I'm drawing with a mouse but with more control.
So then I gotta restart and all this other crap gonk

I also don't normally ink with photoshop.
I use Easy Paint Tool Sai.
But before that.
I used OpenCanvas 1.1
Its a free program, and the inking comes out pretty well : )
More tapered and not so thick and bulky like photoshop's stuff.

*With Paint Tool Sai your trial will expire, so you can just printscreen your picture in separates, paste and then group them together in photoshop.

Opencanvas
Easy Paint Tool Sai
Sasha's Line Art Tutorial
OpenCanvas Tutorial search on Deviantart

Just search through that my dear : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:47 pm
I have open canvas, do the layers work similar to photoshop? (I only played with the program, never used it to make finished works)

My tablet works perfectly fine, I just have a habit of drawing long lines on paper, but when I scan in the gigantic image it is hard to make to sweeping lines again ^^;  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 pm
Not so much haha.
OpenCanvas's layers are a bit more simple, photoshop gives you more variety.

Playing around is good, in fact, if you'd like to do your homework in photoshop, I'll extend the due date to 14 days so that way you don't feel rushed and you can play around with it : )

Hmm, that sounds strange.
What DPI do you scan on?

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:16 pm
when i need to make a long line digitally i just zoom out

and am i like the only person here that draws digitally too?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:21 pm
ShejiKakes
Not so much haha.
OpenCanvas's layers are a bit more simple, photoshop gives you more variety.

Playing around is good, in fact, if you'd like to do your homework in photoshop, I'll extend the due date to 14 days so that way you don't feel rushed and you can play around with it : )

Hmm, that sounds strange.
What DPI do you scan on?

If you mean the machine, I use a Lexmark 2500, and I'm quick so no need ^_^ I do not work or go to school at the moment lol!

Folken_Schezar
when i need to make a long line digitally i just zoom out

and am i like the only person here that draws digitally too?

I am thinking so, but I do most of my sketches on paper, I only draw solely on the computer when I am bored and do not care about messing up

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:26 pm
hahah i dunno i like drawing solely on the computer, not counting when i do charcoal stuff, i makes me feel like i'm going green XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 am
Haha nonono.
DPI means Dots per Inch dear.

If you can, try to get a DPI of 600 on your scanner.
That should hopefully help with your line problem : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 am
I have to go somewhere today, but I'll post my open canvas sketches tonight!

* Edit

Here they are ^_^ as well as a new photo, I still need to draw the arm poses though lol!

User Image

The only thing I saw trouble with on open canvas was when I was drawing with the tablet from time to time the "ink" would splatter on the image, what is this from? Is it just pressing too hard on the pen, or are there settings?

Yeah I colored it out of boredom, and the kitty-Girl's shoulder's look horrible 'cause I originally drew wings, but was lazy when putting the sketches on the computer.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 am
Raeyu;
Very beautiful photo! I love it : )

You did really good on your homework, and you realized a small fault which is also very good!
Once you can start sitting back and seeing the problems, addressing them isn't as hard : )

I always had trouble on the up-view too, so don't be to worried about it.
Just some practice and it'll be nothing : )

You did very good on 3/4ths view! the only problem was the ear, and thats pretty normal because elvish ears are longer and hard to measure with guidelines like the eyes.

I don't know why the ink would so to say, spatter o_O maybe your computer lagged? Sometimes mine does that, or my tablet has a seizure and a giant line will be drawn across my picture gonk

For the tapered line, always keep the top bar all the way over to the left, and move the bar underneath it as far as you want for a bigger brush.

I hope that helps wink

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 am
ahh the kitty girl's arm.

its good that you realize the its incorrect. but just so you understand. the reason why it looks funky is that: 1=. the deltoids is misshaped. muscles are named for function, shape or appearance. the deltoids for example is shaped like a triangle like the letter delta...so therefore deltoids. it seems crazy at 1st but it makes sense once you get the hang of it.

2. you drew the deltoids and the shoulder blade as one mass. tho it is true that the shoulder and the shoulder blade moves in conjunction with each other but the difference is that the shoulder blade and the clavicle is what makes up the socket in the shoulders ball and socket joint

also you shaded the bicep and triceps oddly but its not a big deal.

but over i think you did a superb job. your proportions are pretty spot on and you're consistent with your form  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff