Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Kiru's Sketchbook (6/25/09)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

N a b i j u

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:56 pm

After reading all the guidelines and such of the thread, I'm now typing a loot more than I would have liked, ehe. But, I'm Kiru, fifteen, currently have close-to-no education in art and really no money to study it past what people tell me here, or any other forums off Gaia that I decide to go to. (Before you say, "It's not that expensive," we really have.. no money. I'm only just recently the legal age to get a job (as I'm told; 15 and 8 months), and have no form of independent transportation. Plus, I just don't feel like I'm ready for an art class. All in all, it's really not an option for me yet.)

I'm fairly sensitive about critiques, but I do take them seriously and not as being attacked (to the best of my ability). Bare with me.

I feel like I have a lot of problems with understanding the action line(s) and some proportional/anatomical issues, but I'm sure in seeing my sketches youll find more problems.
I also am very, very bad at gesture drawing, for some reason. I can picture the image in my mind, and I study every curve and line, and yet I can't translate it onto paper as easily as I'd like. Any tips about it would definitely help me out a lot. I'd love to actually reference work, but no matter how simplistic I try to keep it, it all just kind of backfires.
... All of that said.

- - - - - - - - -

The actual sketchbook;;

((newest first))
[ x ]
This one I'm particularly unhappy with. ;/ It was a gesture drawing drawn from here: [x]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:32 pm

haha i'll try to be gentle XD

well i have to say you didn't really capture the gesture very well.
you didn't get the lean angle and the legs are off.

but i do have some good tips for you.

for gesture drawings. worry less about the form (or outline) of the figure. but focus on the gesture. don;t be afraid to make a lot of lines. gesture drawing, if anything, is more expressive then technical. so go nuts and once you start getting it down you can start to gesture more tightly

use more basic shapes. think of drawing the skeleton or basic shapes as the foundation the better your foundation the better the drawing

use a center line. the center line reps the spine and one you get that down pat everything else will fall into place.

try drawing standing up. with a drafting tale would be best but not necessary. this was very hard for me to master at 1st too. when drawing broadly i draw from the shoulder it helps create more organic lines. and of course draw details from the wrist.

if at all possible draw from real life. drawing from photos is infinitely harder. there is just so much more information when the person is right in front of you. it might be hard at 1st but ask a friend or a family member. i'm sure they'd be more then happy to help you

thats all i can think of right now. i'm kinda tried from my internship and drinking too much coffee. but if you have any other questions or anything let me know and i'll help ya out the best i can

Folken_Schezar
Crew

N a b i j u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:17 pm

@@ Folkenn; Thank you <33
Using a center line can prove to be really really frustrating for me x-x; Usually when I do, it makes my the overal anatomy slant forward at a weird angle... I'm not sure if maybe I'm treating it too preciously, or if I'm just terrible at it. xD;

Thank you for all the advice. <33;
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm

no problem. i also forgot about the art school stuff. i know its probably very different where ever you are. but i'm sure if you looked hard enuff you can find some free art workshops. i live in the bay area so there are lots around me=. and as for the art class thats the best place for a beginner. you can get help or feed back instantly and you get the benefit of other peoples experience . they can guide and point you in the right direction

Folken_Schezar
Crew

N a b i j u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:55 pm

To be honest, I had no idea at all that some art workshops were free D= I thought there would always be some sort of fee. But considering the area I live in, I'm not sure if I'd even have one available to me; and transportation would still be a factor. It's complicated.
But thank you for the info, I didn't know that. u_u
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff