Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Metagenetics and Me

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:51 pm
So I've read McNallen's article, but I still don't get it. I'm confused as to what he's trying to get at. In his article, it seems like he already expects the reader to have background information on what Metagenetics are. If that's the case, where can I find said information?

If not, then could someone break it down for me? Or redirect me to someplace that does break it down? (Everytime I google Metagenetics, I just get McNallen's stuff).  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:23 pm
moved to a better spot  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm
Metagenetics is, in essence, the notion that for whatever reason, the gods of a people are bound to the line of descendants.

Some religions attribute this to oaths. Some to the gods personal preference. Some to the notion that the people themselves are literally the descendants of said gods.

When it comes to things like the Gael, it's by oath that encompassed the land and it's people. The gods could have phrased it differently. They could have limited it to the land itself, thus opening the tradition to anyone who lived in Ireland. They could have bound it in total to the people themselves, thus making it possible to easily practice it abroad by people of proper descent.

There are gods that have a mythos suggesting that they are literally the biological parents of a race of people. This makes me twitchy personally, but I have to acknowledge that it's part of some world folklore.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Metagenetics is, in essence, the notion that for whatever reason, the gods of a people are bound to the line of descendants.

Some religions attribute this to oaths. Some to the gods personal preference. Some to the notion that the people themselves are literally the descendants of said gods.

When it comes to things like the Gael, it's by oath that encompassed the land and it's people. The gods could have phrased it differently. They could have limited it to the land itself, thus opening the tradition to anyone who lived in Ireland. They could have bound it in total to the people themselves, thus making it possible to easily practice it abroad by people of proper descent.

There are gods that have a mythos suggesting that they are literally the biological parents of a race of people. This makes me twitchy personally, but I have to acknowledge that it's part of some world folklore.
Would the twitchy stem from this possibly being used to pass themselves off as better, or as Gods?

Greece can said to be full of Gods being genetic ancestors, and while they generally think it makes them awesome (Sparta's claim to descent from Herakles for example) it doesn't make them Gods.

I can say that humans trying to make the claim to godhood thanks to far off genetics is a little twitchy to me as well.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:09 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Would the twitchy stem from this possibly being used to pass themselves off as better, or as Gods?
To be painfully honest, it comes form being twitchy about people thinking of the Rroma as not human- and thus, it's legit to murder us, because it wouldn't be murder if we aren't human.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
To be painfully honest, it comes form being twitchy about people thinking of the Rroma as not human- and thus, it's legit to murder us, because it wouldn't be murder if we aren't human.
Ah yes, that mess.

People can have really dumb logic.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 pm
TeaDidikai

So it's dependent on the specifics of the belief system if it was land, people, or literally descendants. How do you know?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 am
Synnthetika
So it's dependent on the specifics of the belief system if it was land, people, or literally descendants. How do you know?
The lore itself. The Annals contain the oaths of the Gael.
The folklore of the Rroma contain the oaths made by Del, as well as the tales of the conception of the Rroma people.
The Torah contains the establishment of the covenant with Abraham and Moses.

The list is pretty short.
In the case of Shinto, there are direct wards against non-Japanese people, addressing those who aren't Japanese as Oni.  

TeaDidikai

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 am
the only relevant thing i can think of is Mars and the Romans, but worship of Mars is open and not limited to only the Romans.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ah yes, that mess.
Some of the mythological parallels are completely contradictory to boot.

I can't honestly say which I personally appreciate, because the kind of revisionism that surrounds Beng is really complicated.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff