DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 pm
What about non-GW books? I tend to like old-school Sci-fi stuff from decades past, though I'm also starting to read more military non-fiction. What sort of stuff are you all reading?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:05 pm
I prefer satirical and less than serious works myself such as My Tank Is Fight!, the Alphabet of Manliness and the COMPLETE worst-case scenario survival handbook.

I've also been dipping into the comic scene a bit, but I can't get into DC and Marvel comics, no matter how hard they try. Same with Manga, where I'm sticking to the absurdly good Excell Saga, Basilisk and Valkyria Chronicles.

And dirty, dirty pulp from the 30's, crap it's bad in a good way. Especially when printed on that cheap format of paper.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:07 pm
I just ordered some Niven classics that I haven't read in years, "Smoke Ring" and "The Integral Rings," anyone read them?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12 pm
I read the X-wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston. That's about it.. ):  

Sir Kyle Aziz

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:17 pm
Sir Kyle Aziz
I read the X-wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston. That's about it.. ):
Oh wow, -that- brings back memories. whee I read two of those, I think. Wedge's Gamble and one other.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:29 pm
I've only read the Thrawn trilogy and the first Republic Commando novel, after that I lost taste in Star Wars. crying  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Lt. Brookman
I've only read the Thrawn trilogy and the first Republic Commando novel, after that I lost taste in Star Wars. crying
I used to read a bunch of Star Wars when I was a kid, especially the Young Jedi Knights bit.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:33 pm
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
I used to read a bunch of Star Wars when I was a kid, especially the Young Jedi Knights bit.
Eh, to me the whole Expanded Universe thing is a bit too crowded. The Thrawn trilogy was a fine read though, a damn fine read. But Republic Commando blew hard, a total discredit to that great game it's based on.

However, there's always worse, like the DOOM novelization! They named the DOOM guy Fly and made him a mormon! gonk  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
Eh, to me the whole Expanded Universe thing is a bit too crowded. The Thrawn trilogy was a fine read though, a damn fine read. But Republic Commando blew hard, a total discredit to that great game it's based on.

However, there's always worse, like the DOOM novelization! They named the DOOM guy Fly and made him a mormon! gonk
Hah, I thought the Doom movie was bad enough.

The Halo book series isn't half bad, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm
Oh dear... That's absolutely dreadful.

I liked the X-Wing series, because it's dog-fighty. I'm a big combat sim buff. (Oh, why hallo IL-2 1946)

You can't name the Doom Marine. He's just 'Marine'. ):

Edit; I guess this warrants being mentioned. My mother and sister both thought Twilight books were good books. They didn't see the flaws in them..

And they love Dean Koontz ect.. : They keep pushing that on me and I'm like. "Lol, no."  

Sir Kyle Aziz

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Alright. All of you manga lovers/ lovers of grimdark, gore, and very, very questionable themes:

*cough*

READ BERSERK, GOD DAMMIT!

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/berserk/

It's fantastic. The artist/writer is a brilliant man, and the series just...it defies explanation. Go read it.

For solid novels, I've been reading the Ranger's Apprentice series recently upon my girlfriend's recommendation. They're fairly simple reads, but the characters are enthralling and very well fleshed out.

For fun, I bought Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies. To quote the back of the book, "This work has taken a truly fantastic piece of literature and made it into something that you'd actually want to read." It's ridiculous and takes plenty of jabs at itself, but is thus far a solid read.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:47 pm
I'll be honest, I'm not a manga man. I prefer text.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Totally understandable, but Berserk is one of those rare ones where the imagery is so damn powerful that it's hard to imagine. There are scenes in there that I don't think I ever would have gotten my mind to wrap around without a visual aid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:57 pm
I've read Berserk, it gives me nightmares. The Band of the Hawk arc is a good read, but it gets so depressing afterwards!  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 pm
Lt. Brookman
I've read Berserk, it gives me nightmares. The Band of the Hawk arc is a good read, but it gets so depressing afterwards!

It's gotten better again. I will admit, yeah, it gets really depressing, but...Well, how far up did you get? Was Ganishka conquering Midland by the time you quit? Can't remember the name of the story arc.

General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff