Ironic...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goths are Devil worshipers
  yes
  no
  *laughs evily* I don't know what you are talking about.
View Results

Gabriel_503

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm
Ok, so a lot of goths are accused of being followers of Lucifer, and yet a lot of the goths I see where big crosses... how does that work? confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:05 pm
Cos lucifer is still a christian creation as for the wearing of the cross its meant to be in some peverse irony or something, or the goths you know just aren't smart enough to realise its meant to be an ankh then wear.

Or like me, they see it as simply a geometric, which it is.  

Rellik San
Crew

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:37 pm
Personally, I see it more as a symbol of punishment than "salvation", so I can see the connection to Lucifer in that respect...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:02 pm
That seems logical.  

Gabriel_503

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:39 pm
Well, I wear an ankh and no one in my family was ever from Egypt. I don't think someone really has to belong to a certain code of belief in order to appreciate its symbols.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:37 am
I wear what I am in the mood for, each thing has a different personal meaning for me.  

Gabriel_503

Ametrin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:54 am
No specific religion is a part of goth culture. There are people of many different religious belifs [or none.] But satanists are just a very small part of it, and those who believe in the real person of Lucifer an even smaller part.
The most goths are probably agnostics or atheists but I don't know if any statistics have been made on this subject, probably not, so we can't know for sure razz
As for why they wear cross, they may have various reasons: Some are Christians, some aren't but find some aspects of Christianity appealing/interesting, for some it's just a nice decoration to wear.
And as for wearing an ankh, I also consider it fine even if you don't worship acient Egyptian gods or anything. It's a symbol of life after death, so many people like this symbolics, including myself. [and I'd say it's up to your interpretation what life after death means to you, it doesn't have to be just vampirism like some people think.]  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 am
marie503
Ok, so a lot of goths are accused of being followers of Lucifer, and yet a lot of the goths I see where big crosses... how does that work? confused

Most people who wear crosses (goth or not) just do it for the fashion statement. I am actually a Christian, and so is my little gothy friend at school (some find it amusing the two goths at school are actually the leaders of the Christian Club.... which I really need to start working more on my own life a bit ^^; )
But there are several goths who actually are Christian, they are not a majority, but there still are alot of them. (Keep in mind, there is no certain religion that is specific for Goth, although Christianity from what I've seen is by far the closest in basic theology and what not)

For example, the cross is a symbol of living through death. The Bible says you should be "dead to the world", and not attached to the things, but only the people, in it. It is a symbol of power over death, which ultimately means control over your own fate by the power of free will, and that you believe there is more than just punishment... as well as more than just the human eye can see. It is a symbol of faith, devotion, love for others even when the others hate you. Last of all, it is a symbol of hope, which completely destroys the fear of torture, mockery, or even death.  

Angel of the End

valadus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 am
I personally think that maybe the people who think goths worship Lucifer, have seen a lot of satanists dress like goths hence the confusion. Kind of like people think the pentagram has satanic meaning when in fact it has nothing to do with satanism. Its a symbol of Wicca.
So it is perhaps only a reult of ignorance on the assumers part.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:49 am
I agree with what people have stated above.

However, the cross wasn't originally a christian symbol. It was actually an old pagan symbol for the four quarter days (the solstice's and equinoxes). So, I know a number of people who wear it for that reason.

Then of course, there is the view that beauty can be found in or come from pretty much anything. Whilst there are a number who I'm sure would disagree, a lot of beauty has come from christianity. Not just as the religious structures; but the hope it has given people to not give up on life, the comfort that it can bring to the ill and dying who believe in the concept of heaven and the way it brings together all ages, classes and cultures.  

broken_joker

SADERR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 pm
Not at all true.Are there goths that are satanists? Yes. But there are also gothic christians, buddhists, jews, wiccans, muslims, catholics, athiests, agnostics, and whatnot else.

I myself am Wiccan, and I often wear my pentagram necklace. I do however find crosses beautiful, as are many religious symbols. I've always wanted an ankh, but I can't find one in the city (Nor can I find a pentagram -- I got it when I was up in Toronto).

And there are MANY gothic christians. I have a gothic, lesbian, christian friend, and she is one among the many christians I know often clad in gothic clothing. Goth is a subculture, NOT at all connected directly to a religion.

Would I myself wear a cross? Probably not. Nothing against christianity, but I wouldn't care to wear anything referring to christianity. I like christians, but I would hate to have to talk to a nice old christian lady commenting me on my cross, only to have to tell her I'm not christian. It would break my heart to do it, and it would annoy me not to.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:35 am
Well, I think everyone else pretty much answered your question. I myself wear crosses because I am Catholic and they look nice.  

vElvET pUPpet

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff