Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
Music to address true life issues

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Casanova Rodeo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:08 pm
I've always wondered why Christian artists aren't afraid to address hard subjects like
eating disorders and cutting in their songs, while non-Christian artists sing about nothing.
Is it that we as Christian's are not afraid to address the hard truths in life?

Songs that I've heard talking about these issues -
When She Cries - Britt Nicole
The Way She Feels - Between The Trees
Beautiful Tonight - Krystal Meyers
Hero - Superchick
Courage - Superchick
Scream - Zoegirl
+ others

So, what is your opinion? And if you don't have one, then what are some other songs you've heard that have really struck a chord?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:00 am
I think it's because, as Christians, we're called to minister to those who suffer from these real life demons. A secular world doesn't know how to address those issues from a spiritual front, so it's not important. Secular music tends to glorify oneself (though some of it is pretty good and it's not all Devil music); Christian music tends to glorify God.

The Last Night by Skillet is also a good one that mentions these issues. I love that song. Another song by Skillet- called Open Wounds- touches on it slightly; it's more about the lead singer's past as a victim of abuse at the hands of his father. They're two of my favorite songs, actually. sweatdrop

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Casanova Rodeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:19 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I think it's because, as Christians, we're called to minister to those who suffer from these real life demons. A secular world doesn't know how to address those issues from a spiritual front, so it's not important. Secular music tends to glorify oneself (though some of it is pretty good and it's not all Devil music); Christian music tends to glorify God.

The Last Night by Skillet is also a good one that mentions these issues. I love that song. Another song by Skillet- called Open Wounds- touches on it slightly; it's more about the lead singer's past as a victim of abuse at the hands of his father. They're two of my favorite songs, actually. sweatdrop

Woops, I forgot "The Last Night." It used to be one of my
favourites, but it gets kind of boring in my opinion.

I think you have a really valid point though. A lot of popular
music today is terrible for putting self first... Sadly that doesn't
stop me from listening to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:45 am
I don't think it's bad to listen to secular music. There's alot of really good stuff out there.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm
Casanova Rodeo
I've always wondered why Christian artists aren't afraid to address hard subjects like
eating disorders and cutting in their songs, while non-Christian artists sing about nothing.
Is it that we as Christian's are not afraid to address the hard truths in life?

The Clash address important real life issues all the time. Unemployment, economic exploitation. System of A Down has several songs about enviromentalism and much more personal issues, like our generation's obsession with sex.

I've heard a song by the rock group Filter about Eating Disorders. Queen had a hilarious stab at the suicide problem with "Don't Try Suicide." Then again, many rock musicians handled that one. Alice Cooper, Blink 182, REM. Bob Dylan sang frequently about Racism.

Before you make such rash statements, listen to these songs-

Everybody Hurts- REM
Hey Stoopid-Alice Cooper
Hurricane-Bob Dylan
Career Opportunities- The Clash
Skinny-Filter

I'll come back and recommend some more Punk Rock. Punk Rock is all over this, despite the drugged up sexed up image they get thanks to idiots like "The Sex Pistols."  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games