Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Foreshortening?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm
I'm not an art student and never have been. But I would love to know how to improve my foreshortening. Can anyone suggest exercises? Bar drawing poses? Is there a particular way to do that?

I tend to go for detail first, which I'm told is bad. Is that an issue?

Thanks everyone in advance...tell me if I posted in the wrong place..  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:47 pm
well 1st off yes details 1st is always bad. the reason for this is if you draw in the details 1st and then the form later your details will always be off. you always want to put off drawing details as long as possible.

i the best advice for foreshortening is if at all possible to draw it from life. to see its is to really understand it.

if that is not really possible having a good understanding of the form and its nature will really help you make educated guesses in how it should look and how to draw it.

i hope that helps in general. if you have specific questions or something particular in mind let me know.  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 pm
if your trying to forshorten the human body, such as hand, arm, leg, etc. Think in circles/ovals. The human body is made of 100% organic shapes. So the easiest way to foreshorten is to draw in circles/ovals. Try drawing a simple leg of a man sitting. Draw the upper leg as a complete circle (kinda ovelish) and draw the leg coming straight down from it. That is the first exercise i did in forshotening. Do that first then the harder 3 1/4 views of for shortening.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:02 pm
also, dont just think in circles and ovals but also in cylinders too. Simplify the shape then add detail later.  

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff