Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Super cravings...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lizzica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 pm
I've been a vegetarian for two years.
I'm pregnant and have horrible horrible morning sickness. I can't handle mushrooms anymore, which were my everything substitute. I'm having horrible cravings for meat ... which grosses me out talking about it (lol), and it's one of the only things that sounds good that doesn't make me sick at the same time... except right now...ANYWAY can anyone recommend good substitutes that aren't strongly mushroom based?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:49 am
lizzica
I've been a vegetarian for two years.
I'm pregnant and have horrible horrible morning sickness. I can't handle mushrooms anymore, which were my everything substitute. I'm having horrible cravings for meat ... which grosses me out talking about it (lol), and it's one of the only things that sounds good that doesn't make me sick at the same time... except right now...ANYWAY can anyone recommend good substitutes that aren't strongly mushroom based?

Tofu is most people's main one, but I like chick peas and black beans, I also have a recipes for (vegan) burgers:

*1 cup Fiber 1 cereal (original)
*Dash of salt
*2 Cups Flour
*Your favorite seasonings (I like oregano)
*Appox. 1/2 cup water
*Oil

Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl, stir in water (add more or less depends on flour). It should be a thick paste, not chalky or runny. Heat oil in frying pan. Form mixture in two patties. Flip when bottom is browned and continue to fry until inside is cooked (About 10 minutes). Eat by itself or serve on a bun with your favourite burger toppings. Enjoy!

I made this recipe out of curiosity one day and was amazed at the results! I have more if you want, just pm me!  

Mei Megami

simianwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 am
Maybe try seitan? I remember having some at this nifty vegetarian restaurant by me.... it was made with some kind of awesome barbecue sauce, and I swear, I couldn't tell it wasn't meat.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:05 am
I like Morning Star "chiken" Nuggets they are made of soy only I think but I swear I can't tell they aren't meat! I like them with ketchup super yummy! whee  

berryCherry1332

2,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

` iLor x Morphine

4,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:29 pm
berryCherry1332
I like Morning Star "chiken" Nuggets they are made of soy only I think but I swear I can't tell they aren't meat! I like them with ketchup super yummy! whee

I wish Morningstars "chicken" was vegan, but it isn't.

Boca has delicious animal-free ones. <3  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff