Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Raradolly would like help improving her art!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

raradolly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:05 pm

And by improving, I mean simply finishing.
Please, only post legitimate critiques in response to this, with legitimate suggestions attached.
User Image
and a link to this one because it's larger, although so is the other one, but I resized it to ask for help from some other website where no one really responded to me...
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp253/raradolly/halfnakedindoorway2bwfixwip7.jpg
Background is from cgtextures.com... I plan on changing it to make it "wrecked."
I have a hard time with color and clothing folds. Any reference I look at, since it's not "exact" I cannot mimick it or "guess" where they would be. I can't even scientifically map it out and paint, I'm retarded, I guess.
This is all highly frustrating to me.
I also have problems estimating how light affects different colors and types of fabric.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:04 am

i wanna start out by saying this is an awesome piece and its very good.

as for the highlights its can be tough determining how light color effects different colored objects. but for this piece its obvious shes being hit by a cool colored light source so i'd try to add light hues of blue to the areas effected by the highlight.

as for the wrinkles and creases in the clothes i would think about scaling it back some. i feel that you may gave gone a little overboard with it. i think a less is more would work a lot better in this situation

also the hair around her neck doesn't seem to have the same attention to detail as the rest of her hair if you're just not there yet never mind this XD

lastly it might be a little late for this but be mindful of your hands. but the hand with the white owl in it looks slightly small. and the pink is slightly long. normally the middle segment is shorter then the base and pinky's are normally shorter then the ring finger. but you did do an excellent job on the other hand.

but this is an incredible piece and i really like the face and expression
i wish i was better at rendering pieces myself

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out