Reply The Music Artists Guild
Jazz guitar?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tragedies_at_Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 pm
I just currently got accepted into a jazz band in which I'm playing lead guitar. I'm pretty good at improv, so that's not a huge problem. But I'm playing a Fender Strat, which I don't think is a typical jazz guitar. What kind of guitar would you reccomend for a jazz guitarist?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:45 pm
lets get this out of the way. . . there is no rule in any way shape or form that says you can't use a Strat for a jazz guitar. use whatever guitar you are comfortable with, man. but if you're looking for a guitar just for jazz, look for two words: hollow body. even semi-hollows like Gibson's ES-335s are good for jazz.  

Space_Monkee

skumskull

Dapper Businessman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 pm
if your on a budget, i'd say to check out the ibanez artcore series... they are only around $300 and they are pretty great guitars... if you get really serious with one, though, i'd recommend replacing the pickups...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 pm
awesome guitarplayer
I just currently got accepted into a jazz band in which I'm playing lead guitar. I'm pretty good at improv, so that's not a huge problem. But I'm playing a Fender Strat, which I don't think is a typical jazz guitar. What kind of guitar would you reccomend for a jazz guitarist?
User Image
Praise to Him With Strings...

Stick with your Strat. Its the guitar of choice for many jazz/blues players.
Also while every guitar is different and pickups and strings and all that will effect the sound, the only truly important part is you.
If you've played a Fender you might want to stick to it for the sake of familiarity. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jeff Beck use Starts and Telecasters ,respectively.
A Fender's bright sound is probably going to be more useful to you than the darkness of a Gibson; and every thing else is just trying to emulate those two so they are the only brands I care about personally.

...oh, by the way I'm Awesome!
User Image

C0FFIN

smarteepants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:34 pm
you can get a perfectly fine jazz sound out of a strat.
most pros play hollow bodies.  
The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff