Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
new to Wicca Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ember Mist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:34 pm
okay so I'm new to Wicca and I don't really know that much about Wicca' I've read lot of books on it so far, and I was wondering if there was any way I could be initiated as a student by myself before I'm a full fledge Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm
Beware. You called it "Wicca".  

Chaos Blue

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm
XxMist1x
okay so I'm new to Wicca and I don't really know that much about Wicca' I've read lot of books on it so far, and I was wondering if there was any way I could be initiated as a student by myself before I'm a full fledge Wiccan.

Welcome to the guild.

Which books have you read?

Are you talking of self-initiation?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 pm
I read a few websites, it's impossible to self-intitiate but there IS self dedication for something that I also looked up on. Neo-Wiccans are Solitary and don't require covens and thus, no initiation. Here's something I saw when I looked it up:
Quote:
What is Neo-Wicca?
The term Neo, means New. Neo-Wicca, which is based off of Wicca, is considered a new “form,” of Wicca. It is however not Traditional Wicca. Many Wiccans are adimant that others who have not been initiated do not call themselves Wiccan. Initiated Wiccans go through intense training processes to reach initiation, and I assume, go through an intense spiritual expierence during initiation, in which the Inner Court material is transmitted to them. Therefore it would be wrong and unjust to call oneself Wiccan when one has not gone through the training and initiation, nor knows anything of the Inner Court material, or the Wiccan Mysteries. So those who base their spiritual practices off of the Outer Court are called Neo-Wiccan.
The springboard for Neo-Wicca, was the Outer Court material. Gradually however, and especially in the ‘90s, new material was added. A lot of it seemed to come from the Celtic beliefs, also Norse, Egyptian, Greek and many others. So the face of Neo-Wicca changed. It now became something that changed with each practiconer, adopting other mythologies and beliefs, and molding them to Outer Court teachings. A lot of Neo-Wiccans happen to be solitary, perhaps because they like the freedom of being able to chose from a wide variety of beliefs. If however, the basis is not Wiccan, it can no longer be called Neo-Wicca, instead it would be a form of Paganism.

Quote:
But what about initiation?
It is impossibe to be self-initiated.
To be Wiccan, you must be initiated. To be Neo-Wiccan you do not. However there are Neo-Wiccan covens, that have their own initiation rituals, but they are not Wiccan, those who claim to be are fluffs and frauds. So what about the solitary Neo-Wiccans. There has been a lot of debate over self initiation. I will say here, that the general consensus is that initiation into a specific religion cannot be done by oneself. However, many Neo-Wiccans have a cermony called Self-Dedication, which is like initiation, but is when a Neo-Wiccan, dedicates themself to a certain path that they have clearly defined for themselves and dedicate themselves to whatever deities they are honoring. Self-Dedication should be respected by all others and seen as valid. It is a personal connection with the Gods, and should not be scorned, however if the person claimin to be self-dedicated is a fluff, you can be sure the Gods are laughing, as you should be too.

I'm not sure if it is 100% true but so far it makes sense. I'm a newbie at the Pagan religions too but hey, at least you won't be alone smile

Also, from more reading (and help from Vi) Wiccans must be in a coven to be initiated.

I think I might look more into the Neo-Wiccan because I am interested in Wicca but I'm fairly young to be in a coven so I think I'll study up think about becoming a Neo-Wiccan until I am old enough to look into becoming a Wiccan.

Good luck though!!  

Miss Ubiquitous

Sparkly Smoker

7,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm
That "Neo-Wicca" seems an awful lot like calling yourself a "Neo-Catholic" because you want to be a priest but don't feel like going through the training. :/ Or a neo-doctor, because real medical training is hard.

Even if you base your religion off of confirmed Outer Court Wiccan information, you're still an eclectic neopagan. There's nothing wrong with that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 pm
Yea, Neo-Wicca...is frustrating.
It's not Wicca, for sure. And the Neo is misleading; all of Wicca is fairly new.

I agree with Collorwrath; most of what makes up "Neo-Wicca" is outer-court, non-oath-bound materials. These materials are only a fraction of what Wicca is. Granted this information is a jumping off point for many people in making their own eclectic paths, it is a far-cry from actually being Wicca and as such, shouldn't be called Wicca.

Also, self-initiation is not possible. Initiation is the process of performing rites/rituals in order to be accepted into a group. If one is "self-initiating" then there is no group and thus not an initiation. Self-dedication is fine, but understand that dedication =|= initiation.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Miss Ubiquitous

Sparkly Smoker

7,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 pm
At least I got one thing right, right? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:04 pm
Whatever goes on here, keep it civil. Deal?  

maenad nuri
Captain

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:13 pm
Tsukiko Tenka Sasaki-
At least I got one thing right, right? sweatdrop

It's a start biggrin

Nuri: Will do 3nodding .
I didn't think we were getting out of hand sweatdrop .  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm
maenad nuri
Whatever goes on here, keep it civil. Deal?

Deal. 3nodding If I seemed standoffish or something, I'm sorry, that wasn't the intention. My word choice can be awkward sometimes. xp  

Collowrath

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:18 pm
I wasn't saying you were, just that I want it to stay civil. Y'all are cool.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 pm
Didn't someone suggest at some point that Neo "wicca" be called British Witchcraft (especially instead of the pejorative Tvaan?)

It seems like that renaming could solve all of the issues here while giving them a title they can use and feel fully attached to as a source of group identity.

Because like it or not, eclectic neo-pagan doesn't really evoke a feel of group identity because of how diverse it is. It's basically the protist kingdom of religion.  

Recursive Paradox

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 pm
There is already British Initiatory Witchcraft, and Wicca itself is British Traditional Wicca, so it would probably be just as confusing. gonk

I think part of the problem in naming it, is that while there are certain "defining" features of these paths, the eclectic nature of them makes coming up with a specific name difficult at best.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:11 pm
Recursive Paradox
Didn't someone suggest at some point that Neo "wicca" be called British Witchcraft

Why British Witchcraft?
Why not American Witchcraft?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:32 pm
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox
Didn't someone suggest at some point that Neo "wicca" be called British Witchcraft

Why British Witchcraft?
Why not American Witchcraft?
Depending on the style, it might actually be British in nature, as opposed to American developed witchcraft?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff