Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Seichi's sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like my art?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You need to improve (please comment)
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm a 1st year college student and love drawing in anime/manga style. I want to improve my art skills so that I can do more with it in the future and help out my buddies in their projects. I'm also chasing after some of my favorite artists, too redface

Skill set: 9+ years of experience, but I haven't even improved much crying

Education level: 1st year in college (just graduated HS!)

What I want to learn: Color theory, understanding light source, perspective, how to draw animals/inanimate objects/backgrounds, anatomy, shading

If my art doesn't make your eyes bleed, my older sketches can be seen here.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 pm

This is the sketch that sent me on a trip to Art Block Land TAT

I've been trying very hard to reference Iris-Zeible's picture, but I can never get the back of the foot right. I tried drawing the other leg correctly, too, but I can only get the right foot the way I want it crying Could someone please help me? It would be helpful to draw red guidelines or something if it isn't too much trouble. =(

User Image

As you can tell, it's similar to CLAMP's style (I've been a fan of them since childhood!)

seichinoyami

Penlink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:50 am

Okay, I gotta say that I like how you did your character design of this girl from your sketchbook.

I think what you need to do for the right foot is angle it towards your character more. I'm saying this because the right foot looks flat to me. So I think if it has a better angle with the the front ball of the feet touching the ground, while the back heel is more directed to audience it could look better. Then I think you could draw ankle in with the right foot, but I'm not too sure cause I never drawn a pair of boots in my drawings. sweatdrop

Not too sure if my critique is helpful, so if I'm wrong or off mark then someone please correct what I said..... cause it's been awhile since I critiqued anything.....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm

no, I agree with pyro.

make the foot on the right just the back view and angle the foot on the left slightly. that should help. (:

also, your person has no butt! I understand it is styled after CLAMP (I love them, too) but the person is missing critical rear mass! ...yes, I'm being silly, but work on that tush please.

alsooo, this is a lil nitpicky, but your person's left eye is a lil too wide. since you drew the face in three-quarters view, the left eye should be a little more narrow than the right eye. since you drew the eye like that, the face shape is also thrown off a little.

I actually like your style a lot. I've always liked really anime-geared styles; I just never pulled them off well.

KotokoPlum

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 pm

[alight=center]User Image

Is this better? I doubt it is...but I'm trying my best! (It's causing me to have artblock sweatdrop )

Could someone show me where the light hits, too? I don't know where to shade... Please forgive me if I'm bothering anyone with this >.<

P.S. It's actually a guy...a really girly one sweatdrop I made him look gay on purpose...He has more to his wardrobe, though. 3nodding
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:21 am

i think its really coming along i think the foot works but i dunno maybe i'm just picky but i would have done it a slightly differently. unless he's like in mid turn? normally feet are parallelor they angel outward i'd also think about incorporating some twisting creases in the shirt.

as for the light it depends where is the light coming from?

Folken_Schezar
Crew

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Folken_Schezar
i think its really coming along i think the foot works but i dunno maybe i'm just picky but i would have done it a slightly differently. unless he's like in mid turn? normally feet are parallelor they angel outward i'd also think about incorporating some twisting creases in the shirt.

as for the light it depends where is the light coming from?

He is in mid-turn, kind of. I wanted this to differ a bit from the reference that I used.

Could you show me where the creases would go? I really am ignorant about those things crying

The light is supposed to be coming from the top left corner, but I can never get the lighting right on the body/clothing/everything else. emo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:26 am

sure i'd be more then happy to. but i'm out of town atm. so if you do;t mid waiting till mon/tues ish. i'll try to get my hands on a scanner or tablet before then but no promises =

Folken_Schezar
Crew

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Folken_Schezar
sure i'd be more then happy to. but i'm out of town atm. so if you do;t mid waiting till mon/tues ish. i'll try to get my hands on a scanner or tablet before then but no promises =

Thank you so much! whee And I don't mind waiting but would understand if you're busy. 3nodding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:18 pm

haha okay i have good news and bad news. i found a scanner where i was staying but i only had line paper and a pen. i hope its clear enough.

User Image

okay in fig. A i made a sphere in the way you would like to light your character. it's shaded slightly more realistic then how you would want to shade your anime style character. the reason i did it that way was for you to understand the difference in how light creates the shadow. basicly what you need to understand is the reflected light. in this instance core and secondary shadows will be the same for you. reflected light is light that is reflecting off of a surface near what you are shading. it also usually takes on the same color of the reflecting surface. this is very important to shading faces because it almost always happens on the underside of the jaw.
okay in fig 2 i made a mock up of all the possible shaded areas. the reason i say possibles is that in art we can make choices of what to show or what to omit. its a lot like watching a movie. what we see isn't always what's happening right? i went ahead and included the lip shading so you know what its like. tho it is usually omitted on men and children. the upper lip is always gonna have a slight shading when it comes to an upper lighting situation. even in the case of women it is usually hard to spot cause the shading is always very slight. you'll prolly what to skip the lip thing anyway but i thought you'd like to know. fig 2A is just a close up of what it would be like to shade that area

User Image

okay this one will be shorter, i hope. okay for the twisting body i went ahead ad drew the muscle groups so you can understand what's happening i our body's. the second one is with the shirt and how i'd prolly make the wrinkles. now that i'm looking at it i'd add maybe 2-3 more in the middleish area. if you're stuck and don't know what it looks like put on a shirt and strike a pose XD. i know you'll feel kinda silly but it works i do it alot when i need to do facial expressions.

well i hope that helps and i didn't bore you too much and good luck ^_^

Folken_Schezar
Crew

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Folken_Schezar
haha okay i have good news and bad news. i found a scanner where i was staying but i only had line paper and a pen. i hope its clear enough.

User Image

okay in fig. A i made a sphere in the way you would like to light your character. it's shaded slightly more realistic then how you would want to shade your anime style character. the reason i did it that way was for you to understand the difference in how light creates the shadow. basicly what you need to understand is the reflected light. in this instance core and secondary shadows will be the same for you. reflected light is light that is reflecting off of a surface near what you are shading. it also usually takes on the same color of the reflecting surface. this is very important to shading faces because it almost always happens on the underside of the jaw.
okay in fig 2 i made a mock up of all the possible shaded areas. the reason i say possibles is that in art we can make choices of what to show or what to omit. its a lot like watching a movie. what we see isn't always what's happening right? i went ahead and included the lip shading so you know what its like. tho it is usually omitted on men and children. the upper lip is always gonna have a slight shading when it comes to an upper lighting situation. even in the case of women it is usually hard to spot cause the shading is always very slight. you'll prolly what to skip the lip thing anyway but i thought you'd like to know. fig 2A is just a close up of what it would be like to shade that area

User Image

okay this one will be shorter, i hope. okay for the twisting body i went ahead ad drew the muscle groups so you can understand what's happening i our body's. the second one is with the shirt and how i'd prolly make the wrinkles. now that i'm looking at it i'd add maybe 2-3 more in the middleish area. if you're stuck and don't know what it looks like put on a shirt and strike a pose XD. i know you'll feel kinda silly but it works i do it alot when i need to do facial expressions.

well i hope that helps and i didn't bore you too much and good luck ^_^

Not to worry, you didn't bore me at all. I understood most of it. I'm sorry that I forgot about this for several months due to summer school, though.
x___x My current one is http://kage-ouji.deviantart.com/art/Gothic-Guy-127860883
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:41 pm

User Image
I love his hair and face and eyes. Loving that hand, too! XD And the details in the clothes are beautiful *w* ! Now for some advice/guidelines that you wanted XD hahahahah~
1. Someone probably thought he was a girl because his chest was poking out or something. xD That is a no for guys. Unless you purposely gave him boobs.
2. The human body doesn't have straight lines. biggrin Someone told me to make my arms less pointy.. So don't let that happen to you!
3. He srsly needed a butt. xD Someone told you this before I think. Yes, guys have round butts. Some of it can be hidden by his shirt, yes.
4. His thighs were like, crazy short compared to his shins. xD They should be near the same length~
5. I forgot to put the five. Direct your attention to that curves arrow thing near his right leg! It should have a little curve at least. I shouldn't be straight even though it's a stylistic choice maybe? :3 Iunno, but if you start off drawing certain parts straight because it's part of the style, you won't understand the basics~
6. I think this is the desired angle for the foot. :'0 I drew some diagrams for you, too!

Yulo-chan

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff