Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Pyro Philebas's skecthbook -06/01/09- Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Penlink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 pm
Hello, my name is Pyro Philebas, and you guys can call Pyro for short, as I'm your friendly neighborhood lurker. Anyways I aiming to be an animator in the future, and I get the feeling that will be a lot of things to learn. So I really do hope that this guild can help with that. Oh, I also have a DeviantArt account.

My skill set is: rofl funny, I can't think of anything for this now...
Education level: still in college
What I want to grasp is: understanding light source, understanding color theory, how to draw animals; getting a more natural pose for humans; how to work perspective and understand it, Drawing nature.... and getting better lineart with cross hatching!

Any helpful comment or critique is always appreciated.

And now without further ado....
User Image
What I was trying to do for this picture was get practice with the lineart and some crosshatching with painter X; I was practicing with things like line-weight and rough marks or areas on the clothes. I want to know what could be improved.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Okay, I have another image.... Although it's incomplete.
User Image  

Penlink

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 am
heya pyro hows it going? i'm an animator too. what kind of animation do you wanna do?

well lets get to it shall we?
the 1st one is pretty good you have a good sense of your style but the waist is long and her stance is kinda too far forward. not that its impossible but its gonna be way uncomfortable. you can fix it in one of 2 ways. either move the front foot back or the tip of the sword forward. and your shading is kinda all over the place. prime example would be the sword. its casting a shadow but the shadow on the blade is on the opposite side. also you wanna start thinking about line quality in your work. in general thinker lines are reserved for things that are closer to the viewer and thin for further
but over all i think you succeeded with your idea with this piece.

as for the second one i don;t have much to say but its looking really good i like they way you colored it and its turning out well one thing to try to keep in mind that most people starting out painting tend to forget is highlights and reflective light. but i can;t wait to see it when its done.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:04 pm
It's nice to meet you too, Folken. The kind of animation that I want to do would be computer or 3d animation then I also hope that they still have room for guys who want to draw out their animations.

Well, I guess for the first one that I need to study the length of the weight, or found a better way to balance the body. Okay, I see what you mean.

Then the second one, I still working on, and I think I'll do what you said; since I think most artists get a better grasp on where to place their light and shadows with their backgrounds painted first. I guess this is what happens when one doesn't practice for months on their computer. sweatdrop

Anyways, a little update... with some more color, which will change later on.
User Image  

Penlink

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:55 pm
sounds awesome man. and as for the 2-d 3-d animation you wouldn't think it but it's not just good to know both but kind of a requirement. both 2-d ad 2-d animations use the same principles of animation the only difference is 3-d you spend more them making characters and 2-d you spend more time animating.

but yea man just keep pluging away. as i was 1st taught in my art class, "it's all about mileage." tho i would highly recommend a anatomy book. one for an artist would be best but i've found having both kinds to be very beneficial. and once you have a good understanding of the human anatomy it will translate every easily into drawing animals. our basic structures are incredibly similar once you know how to see it. then you can translate that into drawing them ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:48 pm
Not much of an update this time around, as I have to use someone else computer to draw. I wish my laptop didn't crash on me.... so I can scan stuff...

User Image

Fourth attempt with the Gimp to produce this one.... it's a pain to ink with and it takes sometime getting use to....

Err, by the way, does anyone have any tips on making the upper body closer to the viewer, and the lower body closer to the nadir - downward vanishing point-.  

Penlink

Morrosseth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 am
It is late (5 AM and I haven't slept. LOLFAIL) and neither anatomy nor perspective are my strong points (also LOLFAIL). So I'll attempt to let pictures do all the talking while we wait for someone better than me to come by. :'D

User Image
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:31 am
Thanks for the advise Morroseth, especially on the breasts, since I rarely draw people from a birdeye's view or even with that angle. sweatdrop smile

I also get what you're saying about the geometric shapes and muscle, as I draw that way. smile

Although, I keep thinking that if the legs were more slender it might help, but I'm not sure about how the pelvis could be drawn better from that angle though.  

Penlink

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 am
well morroseth is very close imo

when drawing the pelvis, tho it doesn't seem that way. is the shape of a thimble or a basin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:22 pm
Not much of a update this time around.

User Image

Again, I used the Gimp *chuckles*, and I found a new tool to do the lineart; However this tool is more sensitive than some other inking tools, so the line art came out sort of bad. I'm not angry, as I wanted to test this tool.

Lineart and body isn't the thing I'm mainly concerned about this time round, but rather the background in the sense of painting. Okay, I think if the sun is reduced and if there are less clouds then the girl's composition might be better. Then is there a better way to paint clouds that look like they are being past by a high speed jet?  

Penlink

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:14 pm
I find your adventurous use of perspective both refreshing and admirable. Time to start learning the technical aspects of it though so you can make it work for you more.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:01 pm
Errol, you have a point there with me learning it, or rather me understanding how to do it.

User Image

I'll say Sai has some interesting brushes, although I really F**ked up on the shading....
Then a little extra this time, and so I don't confuse you guys, Penlink is my username at DA.
User Image  

Penlink

Penlink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm
User Image

Hmmm, sorry I don't have much to say this time around....

Oh, have you guys ever read something called, Perspective! for comic book Artists, by David Chelsea? It's a good book on perspective that is set like Scott McCloud's, Understanding Comics, which reads like a comic.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 am
Do you draw grids or anything when you do perspective drawing? Your parallel lines aren't parallel and your vanishing point is unclear.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Penlink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:40 am
I did do the one vanishing point to the side of the girl; however I didn't work on the grid too much. Although, I have to admit I'm not use to perspective, or drawing it on the computer.

Well, at least I have an idea on what i need to improve on.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff