Yes!
  No.
  Huh?
  *gold option*
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 pm
I have just recently begun playing a certain online strategy game (OGame), so I'm a pretty new player, just barely three days old. I don't have any defensive structures at all, so basically my planet in the game can be raided at will by pretty much anyone, no matter how strong or weak they are. So I loose reasources that I worked hard to get, and become frustrated for that and other reasons. This happens with many online games, where stronger players take advantage of the newer and weaker players, even if they are completely helpless.

Being attacked at only three days when I have no defensive structures and haven't even found an alliance yet frustrates me, a lot. This is a sort of inevitablitity of the game though. Strong players look for easy risk-free ways to get their resources, and weaker players want the same thing and don't want to get completely devastated early on in the game, well, no one wants that...

What annoys me a bit is that I was defenseless and unable to do anything about the attack. It happens, and there isn't much that you can do about it. The objective of the game being what it is, why not attack weak players?
Just take everything from them before they become a threat, scare them off, life's tough, make them deal with it.

Basically I find many online games to have very Machiavellian players in them....and hey, the internet is anonymous and you want to win, so why not?

What I wonder though, is what the person who attacked me would have done if it was a real-life situation? Would they still have attacked me, a defenseless/peaceful/new planet? Or would they have gone on anyway and attacked...

(I do not want any responses that say "well that's a game and this is real, so no." Please take time to think about your answers and whether or not I have already considered their possibilities but thought them too obvious and mundane to tell you about.)

Anyway...that little incident is not going to frighten me away. Soon I will become stronger, then exact my revenge whilst he slumbers in bed, unaware of the impending destruction of half his world.... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:28 pm
i would at first make an alliance with the planet and see where that takes me  

genji_90

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:57 pm
That sounds quite a bit like the Travian that I play. I've experienced that same problem many times before. They see you're weak, probably with no troops, so they decide that you would be a good farm and they attack you. Sometimes I negotiate with them, and that's saved me a few times.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would do the same thing in real life, but perhaps some wouldn't. I would think twice, I believe, if it were real life.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:55 pm
i got a game better than that , this game is like 3d to and it alsome .
go to www.runescape.com aand add bigmat956 i will help you if needed  

pain of lust

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 am
Your right it does sound rediculous, but honestly, I'd raid you then offer you an alliance, holding your own resources against you, I'd keep you in the alliance until you could offer no more, then I'd throw you to the wolves.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 pm
genji_90
i would at first make an alliance with the planet and see where that takes me

Good plan. Ally with them, assist them, protect them and help them to become prosperous. That way the rewards are much more satisfying when you eventually turn on them, crush them and take everything they've worked so hard for.  

Lucifer Over London

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:09 am
Rellik San
Your right it does sound rediculous, but honestly, I'd raid you then offer you an alliance, holding your own resources against you, I'd keep you in the alliance until you could offer no more, then I'd throw you to the wolves.

*nods in agreement* What I liked doing was help build up lower level players. Especially economy based, give them technology, crops, etc. Help them out and get them on their feet, see who they also ally with and see if it could be of any help to me.
Now, if they turned their back on me, or drop my alliance, I would obliterate them. Take everything and have others continue to attack them til they quit.

I like being an online loan shark biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm
Rellik San

Sounds like what I would do.  

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 am
Macabre_Cogitation

I like being an online loan shark biggrin
That's how I like to play...

cool  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:22 am
-l-GothicBooBitchCrafe-l-
i got a game better than that , this game is like 3d to and it alsome .
go to www.runescape.com aand add bigmat956 i will help you if needed

Runescape is more a development of your character than a work/land/country. Still something to do, but a lot of times it can be tedious.

Lurichan = lurichan either way. ~_^ I suppose you can say in runescape the good point is unless you purposely enter certain areas other players can't kill you, and a good chunk of the mini games if you "die" it doesn't make you loose your items.

All that to the side, I generally don't care much for games that other people can come over and take your resources. I know ceilisidhe has been playing an online game called evony.com that you have 7 days to build up your resources and defenses before anyone can actually full out attack you. It gives you time to build things up first. I'll see how that works out for him on day 8 when it's open season on his little town. ^^*  

lurichan
Vice Captain

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces