Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Casanova Rodeo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 am
Okay, I just watched "Jesus Camp." I have to say that movie was
actually pretty scary to me. I thought how the sermones were directed
was just wrong. I mean, telling a bunch of kids they're fake and phony?
Making kids feel bad so you can get a reaction out of them religiously
seems wrong to me. I understand a strong Christian teaching while you're
young is important to give you the foundation for life, but I think teaching
and brainwashing are two very different things. I also believe kids should
be able to learn about Jesus without being guilted into it. I think a lot of
churches have become very corrupt. Jesus is love, and we all know that.
So if Jesus is love, and we're trying to learn to be like him, why do we use
scare tactics to teach kids? I also understand connecting kids to the idea
that we are sinful is crucial but I think a lot of people go about that wrong.

Sorry for the length of this, I just feel as though it's such an important subject.
I'm also sorry if this has been done.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:59 pm
I've always felt that no matter what the chruch has used scare tactics, if you piss god off yougo to hell and the devil will torture you for eternity. on the other hand i think that the forceful endoctrination of youth is absolutely wrong. they are attempting in my oppinion to raise the same kind of fanatics that the so-called "War on Terror" is fighting against.  

Lazarus The Resurected

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:58 pm
I actually LOVE Jesus Camp because I find it so completely fascinating. I mean, I agree with what some of the kids say and then they just take it too far and it's just... very interesting to me. I really like the one part where the kids says worldy pleasures are like candy and God is like meat. Too much candy will make you sick, and you need food that's good for you, like meat, to live.

But I agree. Some of the part are horrible. Scare tactics are a horrible way of bringing anyone to Christ, much less children. I also think some of the things they have no business discussing with the kids, like abortion. Most of them are ever too young to really understand the issue and it's prevented in a completely biased way. I'd be very interested to see where some of those kids end up though.

I also love the part where the lady tells the devil to get out of the powerpoint rofl

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 pm
I have not seen this movie yet but I know that scaring people into faith actually would more likely scare them away, its more like planting the wrong type of fear,These people that preach like that they know they are also guilty of what they are condemning people for. Most of the time they don't admit it themselves.

They may speak the truth but its worthless if they sit on that stage condemning their audience.That is not God and Love is not always tough. God gets angry but only once in a great while, God is often heartbroken by mans ignorance towards him.

RekaG

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:20 pm
This belongs in the media discussion subforum; please reply to this and I will move it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
This belongs in the media discussion subforum; please reply to this and I will move it.

Kay, move it. Sorry. I like barely post here, I didn't know.  

Casanova Rodeo

Casanova Rodeo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm
freelance lover
I actually LOVE Jesus Camp because I find it so completely fascinating. I mean, I agree with what some of the kids say and then they just take it too far and it's just... very interesting to me. I really like the one part where the kids says worldy pleasures are like candy and God is like meat. Too much candy will make you sick, and you need food that's good for you, like meat, to live.

But I agree. Some of the part are horrible. Scare tactics are a horrible way of bringing anyone to Christ, much less children. I also think some of the things they have no business discussing with the kids, like abortion. Most of them are ever too young to really understand the issue and it's prevented in a completely biased way. I'd be very interested to see where some of those kids end up though.

I also love the part where the lady tells the devil to get out of the powerpoint rofl

I found that thoroughly entertaining. And her object lessons were kind of... strange. Like the sticky hand to the brain.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 am
Movie was thoroughly disturbing. It's pretty much fascism with the name "Jesus" attached to it....  

Matt Pniewski

Lindsey B3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:27 pm
I thought the ideas descussed in the movie were fascinating.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:04 am
I haven't seen it, and from the way you guys are all talking about it, I'm not quite sure I want to. eek Sounds terrifying.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:00 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I haven't seen it, and from the way you guys are all talking about it, I'm not quite sure I want to. eek Sounds terrifying.

you should check it out just to see what is being done in the name of god and to note how scary some of you religionists can be.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 pm
I'm gonna have to say that first, I'm personally offended by "you religionists," because it's obvious you meant it to be derogatory. I'm not a "religionist." I'm a Christian. If you want to make a point to say that some religious people are sometimes scary and clinically insane, say that; don't make the point specific to people in this guild, or to people who identify as Christians, or to people who identify as any other specific religion.

That said, I'm aware of the things that go on in the name of God, and I realize how scary those things can be, and how wrong most of those things are. I'd rather not lose the rest of my faith in humanity by seeing what other awful brainwashing is going on- I know it's happening, and all I can do is not do it in the name of God.

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 am
Matt Pniewski
Movie was thoroughly disturbing. It's pretty much fascism with the name "Jesus" attached to it....

I agree, and that was brainwashing at it's finest.
That documentary thing disturbed me.

I am all for religious camps & introducing kids to God, but they made those kids cry..And said way too heavy things to kids at that age.

'Highlights'

This reminded me of some backwater church that had people hold venomous snakes, telling them that if God loved them they wouldn't die.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I'm gonna have to say that first, I'm personally offended by "you religionists," because it's obvious you meant it to be derogatory. I'm not a "religionist." I'm a Christian. If you want to make a point to say that some religious people are sometimes scary and clinically insane, say that; don't make the point specific to people in this guild, or to people who identify as Christians, or to people who identify as any other specific religion.

That said, I'm aware of the things that go on in the name of God, and I realize how scary those things can be, and how wrong most of those things are. I'd rather not lose the rest of my faith in humanity by seeing what other awful brainwashing is going on- I know it's happening, and all I can do is not do it in the name of God.

you should lose the faith in God before faith in humanity.  

Lazarus The Resurected

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:25 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
you should lose the faith in God before faith in humanity.

But humanity's the one going around mucking things up, including the name of God. We're well on our way to destroying the planet, ourselves, and just about everything we've ever created. We're a bunch of lying, cheating, whoring, bigots and zealots. There are very few redeeming qualities about humanity as a whole.

Or, at least, I think so.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces