Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Posing help ;_;

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 am

Ok so I can draw a straight up pose pretty good but I have a hard time with poses that are....er...in diffrent dimintions I guess? Like someone reachin out for something or someone sitting with there feet in front of them, does that make since? sorry if it doesn't. Anyway heres some of my work so you can get the basic Idea of what I can do burning_eyes

User Image
These are my husbands chars in a alice-in-wonderland theme

User Image
Random boredom drawing

User Image
Another random boredom artwork
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I think it would help you a lot more to learn the structure of the body and some more of our basics like perspective. With those two skills, you can draw any pose you like.

User Image

Take the large pieces of a skeleton and make a very simple skeleton to pose.

User Image

This will help you keep things in proportion as you move them. (I noticed that you're getting lengths of body parts are changing as you pose them differently.)

User Image

Perspective comes from not just drawing things flat. Don't just draw it from the side or the front all the time. Do you see the different seeing depth makes in the shapes to the side? A square becomes a cube. And triangle a cone. A circle a sphere. A rectangle a box. These are the building blocks of everything. From 4 simple shapes, you can make anything in existence, by putting them together.

Notice how boring the guy is from the front or the side. But when you draw him in perspective, he comes to life, even though he's in the same exact stiff pose. You can see the distance between his feet and that makes a world of difference. Because he's not flat, you can turn him around in your head, and know what he'll look like and how far things are from you and how far they are form other parts of him.

It will take some time to get this stuff, but it's very worth knowing.

When things are farther than others, they look a bit smaller.

edit: Dammit, wrong link. Fixed.
sample

There is a sense of her moving forward because the other leg is back and it looks back as it looks smaller as it gets further back. (Perhaps I'm over simplifying. Let me know. Ask questions.)

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 am

Ok thanks that helps some, I'll work on it
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items