Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[ munoki's artpad ♥ crits appreciated! ]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

munoki

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:43 pm

♥ about munoki
Hello (: I've been drawing on and off for about 4-5 years (it certainly doesn't show, lol).
I have had no "proper" art education/training whatsoever... whatever I know, I picked up mainly by observing others.
I hope to be able to reach a certain anime/realism balance someday (somewhat like ippus@DA or ionen@DA),
but right now I'm drawing in an anime style.

My understanding of anatomy & shading is especially weak.
Red lining over my current art pieces would be exceptionally useful.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you! (:

♥ latest
(updated 05/05)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 am

Well, I can say that once you start to learn the skills it takes to communicate things effectively, you're going to make some great looking art.

I'm not going to get into anatomy in this round. ((edit: Honestly, the anatomy isn't that bad at all. It's uneducated. That's all. As you learn by observing people, reading books on anatomy, and doing figure drawings, you'll improve there.)) I'm sure someone else will come along and do that. If not, then I will in a later post. What I want to focus on is the fact that this looks like a disjointed set of features.

Next time you do a figure, think of a story for it. The story doesn't have to be more than a sentence. For this kind of image, I'd say go with "The girl is saying hi" or "the girl is happy to see you".

Not sure what this girl is doing, but when you make a story, you can communicate it to the people looking the image. The image then means something to them and engages them. It makes your work more interesting when there is a relationship with the viewer, or the viewer is deducing what relationships are in the image. We communicate relationships with expression. Expressions are both facial expression and body language.

This chic is kind of all over the place in that respect. The features look alright when you cover the others, but when you put them together, they make no sense. Start carefully looking at yourself and others when they see someone they are happy to see. (You can act it out in a mirror.) Don't all parts of your face change when you are genuinely pleased? Smiling isn't just the mouth. It helps to start thinking about how the muscles of your face move when you make expressions.

(What is that thing she's doing with her hand? It looks like she's telling a buddy about her drunken lesbian fling last spring break or something.) When you draw people, it's really important to consider what you want the viewer to think about this person as you draw and make sure the body language is appropriate as well.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm a little nervous to give anatomy critiques as I'm not exactly stellar in that area...

WOW, the lines are really clean. The eyes are nicely done, and the cel shading on the hair is spot on. I'm not quite sure what is wrong about the mouth, but it just seems kind of... off. The neck should be thinned out, perhaps. If she were a young woman, the neck would tend to be thinner, older women seem to have a thicker neck. (If you're going by anime style, that is.)

Really, it DOES show that you've been drawing for that long, and I think from this image and *cough* what I saw in your freebie thread, you have a HUGE amount of potential. Your art is already very pleasing to the eye, and while the shading is a bit sparse, the background and your other strengths out balance the weaknesses.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games