I've been doing a lot of reading lately so I thought I'd recommend some of the books I've read to those who actually like reading enough/can be ******** to seek out these books.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.
The blurb- The narrator of Atwood's riveting novel calls himself Snowman. When the story opens, he is sleeping in a tree, wearing an old bedsheet, mourning the loss of his beloved Oryx and his best friend Crake, and slowly starving to death.
He searches for supplies in a wasteland where insects proliferate and pigoons and wolvogs ravage the pleeblands, where ordinary people once lived, and the Compounds that sheltered the extraordinary.
As he tries to peice together what has taken place, the narrative shifts to decades earlier.
How did everything fall apart so quickly? Why is he left with nothng but his haunting memories?
Alone except for the gree-eyed Children of Crake, who think of him as a kind of monster, he explores the answers to these questions in the double journey he takes- into his own past, and back to Crake's high-tech bubble-dome, where the Paradice Project unfolded and the world came to grief.

Maus I and Maus II by Art Spiegelman.
The blurb- Maus is the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his fathers terifying story, and History itself.
It's form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews are mice), succeeds perfecly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive.
... Moving back and forth from Poland to Rego Park, New York, Maus tells two powerful stories: The first is Spiegelman's father's account of how he and his wife survived Hitler's Europe, a harrowing tale filled with countless brushes with death, improbable escapes, and the terror of confinement and betrayal.
The second is the author's tortured relationship with his ageing father as they try to lead a normal life of minor arguments and passing visits againts a backdrop of history too large to pacify.

In Watermellon Sugar by Richard Brautigan.
The front- "In watermallon sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermellon sugar".

The blurb- In Watermellon Sugar
is a story
of love and betrayal
that takes place in
an extraordinary environment
where the sun
shines a different
colour every day.

(Spooks Review: this is a ******** weird book.)