Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ikari's Sterf...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ikari-no-baka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 am
I figure I blind you all with my skills. M'kay, here goes:
Strengths: ?
Weaknesses: perspective, high-level action poses, inking smoothly, shading
Examples:
[x] [x] [x] [x] [x]

I'm trying to keep them recent, within this year. I'll post more as I draw of course. Please, critique, harshly if need be. Can't learn if no one says anything.^^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:03 pm
-writing while reviewing- OK! here we go! oh and heavy reading content.... That's just me. biggrin

Thumbnails and guidelines! Great tools to use. You're anatomy isn't bad. The chibi is uber cute. Lol. I'm currently viewing the 1st three of you're samples btw. Uhhm, yes. If anatomy is a focus of yours, and I see that you're into anime... Then going to http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/ is a great place to learn a bit more. But it has to have the /howto/ at the end for it to be the right one. Looks like the 1st bakaneko was a failure so a second was born. lol. Back to art! Since inking is a bit hard for an unsteady hand, you can practice inking with quick strokes. Using your arm more works too, better than getting sketchy lines with the limited movement that your wrist gives you. Honestly, looking at your last samples, you're not bad at much, just practice and experiment with techniques. Shading is basically putting dark where there is no light and putting highlights where there is, but there are in betweens for some types of pictures. The type of shading anime artists use is cell shading, which isn't smooth compare to soft shading, which has the gradient looking shades. Don't use gradients for shading. Shading is defining a shape. Overall, you're good and ready to keep getting better! Good luck! heart

No harshness here. lol.  

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Ikari-no-baka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 pm
Thanks, I'll go check that website out.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:58 pm
I think your art shows a good deal of potential. I liked them all, and the different samples you provided shows that you're very creative. The chibi is utterly adorable, I especially liked the flaming banana. (Showing fire in a sketch isn't always easy, but you pulled it off cutely while showing the banana in distress. xD Which added to the level of adorable.)

Shading wise, yes it could use some work. It helps to look at items around you, or even improvise. (I've had my son hold a flashlight at a few items, to see the way the light hit it from a certain perspective.) Don't be afraid of color while shading, I know that it isn't always easy to pick out the right colors either.

@.@ Eee, you're my first critique here, I hope that was okay.  

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

Ikari-no-baka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm
Thank you Lady Rose.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff