Submit

dream sequins

Glittering Star

8,050 Points
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:02 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned in any publishing articles I found while searching Google, so forgive me if this is something I should know. XD

Would a publisher refuse to publish my book if it had previously been posted on something like Fictionpress.com, my own personal Livejournal, here on Gaia, etc? I do remember hearing something about a girl writing a fanfic on FF.net, changing the names of the characters and basically making it original, and then publishing it (that was done through a self-publishing website though, but I figure the same question would apply).

I eventually want to post my novel on my LJ, or somewhere public to get feedback and con-crit before I send it off to an editor/publisher, but I don't know if they would refuse to publish it since it would have been accessible elsewhere. I'd take it down off the websites before sending the manuscript out, though.

Just asking for future reference. ^__^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:48 pm
Geez, I hope that's not a problem. A friend and myself both put up our stories on deviantART. If we aren't able to get published because of that, that'd be horrible. I'll have to keep up with this to see what kind of answers you get!  

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:56 pm
I have heard this question before, and I think it really depends on the publisher. There shouldn't be a problem it you take it down from whatever website you have it on if it is going to be published, as long as its not freely available when you want to be selling it, I don't see why it would be too much of a problem.

Of course, if it's serious work that you're posting, there is the worry of theft, and that could cause some problems with publication.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks, Stelle. smile That helps ease my worries.

dream sequins

Glittering Star

8,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

peterlover14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:53 pm
If you're just looking for critique of your work, you could try a site like http://www.critiquecircle.com. I know there are several published authors who post their work there. I'm really not sure about the other sites but it seems like it wouldn't be a problem as long as it wasn't available at the time of publishing, like Stelle said.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for the link, Peterlover14. ^__^ I'll keep that in mind.

I did a little research regarding this question, and the unanimous opinion seemed to be "You're screwed if you post it elsewhere" because the publisher wants first publishing rights, and if you've posted it elsewhere, even if you take it down, it's still considered as being published. gonk

So I'll just play it safe and email it to any prospective editors. And if I post excerpts, post like one or two chapters. confused

dream sequins

Glittering Star

8,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Alanora Calaran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:12 pm
I had that worry at first too, but I use Wordpress to post my novel for feedback and I get to control who sees it and who doesn't. It's a useful little privacy option. That way, even if you're only posting it so that a couple friends can give you feedback, it's not available to the general public. And of course I would take it down before I even submitted it for publication.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am
Oh god, I'm gonna help you before something horrible happens. DO NOT POST ANYTHING YOU WANT TO PUBLISH ON THE INTERNET. Putting aside the obvious issue of potential plagiarism (as there is NO copyright on ideas, and someone could use your plot without using anything else and possibly get away with it), any publisher you submit to will want First Publishing Rights, meaning they want to be the first person to publish it. They aren't likely to check around, but if you're seriously looking into the publishing world--especially for a novel--don't use the internet for feedback. Rely on teachers, friends, family, or writing communities to get solid critiques. Even non-writers will know if your plot doesn't make sense or your characters have sudden and inexplicable changes of heart.

Besides, publishing is about making money. If people can read your work for free, why should someone pay to publish it? It backfires for the publisher. So my advice is to leave it off the internet and find local sources of feedback.

Creator of Destruction

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250

Creator of Destruction

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:35 am
Oh, phew. Just noticed your research post.

Good girl. smile Everyone should research before entering the publishing world, anyway, since those who don't give all of us prospective writers a bad name. >.<

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm
Let me just say that a lot of companies are going to flat out say it in the submissions webpage on their site: We are not accepting books that are currently available 'on the web'. On the web includes sites like fictionpress.com and etc. You should not post anything on the web at all if you intend to have it published. I'm not saying that all companies refuse to accept material on the web, but it reduces their profit dramatically, making you a much less valuable author to them. They want profit, and they won't get it if everyone can just get on the computer to read the book.  

Writer Selbe

Invisible Conversationalist

SpunkMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:33 pm
Writer Selbe
Let me just say that a lot of companies are going to flat out say it in the submissions webpage on their site: We are not accepting books that are currently available 'on the web'. On the web includes sites like fictionpress.com and etc. You should not post anything on the web at all if you intend to have it published. I'm not saying that all companies refuse to accept material on the web, but it reduces their profit dramatically, making you a much less valuable author to them. They want profit, and they won't get it if everyone can just get on the computer to read the book.

This is true. Yes, I also have my works up on wordpress but sadly they are so outdated that I seriously I don't they count. Even if you have a webpage on private it does not matter it can still be viewed, thought not by everyone (you have to know where to look). The only reason I have part of my writings on wordpress is because a friend of mine also found a place to get a license which is featured on my site. So pretty much no mattter what if someone tries to steal my idea I can legally get them back.  
Writing Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games