Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
The Works of Carin

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CariRae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:30 pm
I could really use some constructive criticism of my work. Feel free to say anything you want.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:07 pm
Here is some line art that I'm working on. Is there anything I should change about it before I start coloring?

User Image  

CariRae

Ikari-no-baka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:55 am
The art in the first section is good, but, to me, it seems as if your people are a little...hmmm...stiff, I guess in both posture and facial expression. The concepts of the pictures is really good, though.
In the second, I'd try to better convey what's in the background.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 pm
Hmm... you are right they do look stiff. And in the second the background is supposed to be blurred so you focus on the center, but its not done so it doesn't look right yet.  

CariRae

CariRae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:29 pm
I just did this one of my avatar. It's just a sketch but any advice?
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm
The coloring is really pretty in the last colored image in the first post, and I adore the first image. Very creative. I like that you take the time to do real backgrounds (something I find that I don't have the patience to work on) and they're nicely done. The area below the ninja girl's feet could be a little less round perhaps, it looks at odds with the proportion of the rest of the stone, and the girl. Sort of like from the viewer's point of view, the round stone is at sharper angle.

The sketch you just did is pretty nice. Feet! I admire good feet, they're not easy to do without looking super deformed. The spires of the umbrella could be a bit straighter... The tree is going to turn out very prettily, considering your coloring skills.  

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

CariRae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 pm
Here is the colored version. I went for a kind of watercolor feel. Tell me what you think.

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:49 pm
Rose Koneko
The coloring is really pretty in the last colored image in the first post, and I adore the first image. Very creative. I like that you take the time to do real backgrounds (something I find that I don't have the patience to work on) and they're nicely done. The area below the ninja girl's feet could be a little less round perhaps, it looks at odds with the proportion of the rest of the stone, and the girl. Sort of like from the viewer's point of view, the round stone is at sharper angle.

The sketch you just did is pretty nice. Feet! I admire good feet, they're not easy to do without looking super deformed. The spires of the umbrella could be a bit straighter... The tree is going to turn out very prettily, considering your coloring skills.

Yea my friend Matt said the same thing about the stone, but I haven't fixed it yet. And thanks for the praise. XD Feet are kind of hard to draw and I can't ever seem to get them perfect. They are kind of deformed looking in real life if you ever make an observation of it. If you don't have the attention span to make backgrounds just do something simple. For the first pic the background is just blue with a white center that I smudged and the water is just a mix of shades all smudged together, nothing really difficult or time consuming.  

CariRae

CariRae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 pm
Here are some of my newest ones in need of critiquing.

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 am
Hi.
I'm just going to give you a few quick pointers on colouring...
Colouring is a very difficult thing to learn, expecially with the big pieces you're doing. Each object you've coloured seems to be just one colour made darker or lighter. Everything, for example skin, is made up of lot's of colours.
Skin has blues, and purples and greens, as well as pinks and yellows and browns. Using these into your artworks makes everything more dimensional. If you need a more detailed tutorial this one here is very helpful.
Also keep in mind the shadows that things like capes and hair would cast. There should also be a lot more shadow on the face.
Finally, the backgrounds are a bit blurry, which looks quite awkward.
They are getting there though. I hope I haven't been to harsh. razz
Good luck!  

no surrender

CariRae

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:23 pm
Thanks that's good advice. I never really thought to add other colors. That's kinda pointless in pencil sketches which I've been doing forever, I just started digital coloring two years ago.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm
User Image

I realize the shading is a bit off around the tree, but I could use some critique other than that.  

CariRae

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm
In terms of ratios, I would definitely recommend making the woman smaller. As it is, it looks like she could cross the bridge in about seven steps, which makes it look too small to be impressive. It reminds me of the small bridges in Chinese palace gardens that are only there for decoration.

Additionally, you should keep gravity in mind when drawing people. Even ignoring the implausibility of her pose in general, it looks as though one second after this image she'll be in the water. The ratio of arms:torso:legs is all out of whack. The legs seem to be an okay size, but then the torso is too top heavy and her arms are too long.

All that criticism though is really a bit nitpicky in terms of the piece overall because this environment is very well done. The trees and their spacial distances are conveyed well, and the details on the bridge are fantastic.

Sorry about the wall of text! Basically, the environment is great, but the girl confuses both the balance and mood of the piece.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 pm
I like your use of atmospheric prospective were the bridge and closer trees are defined and the trees further back are just values. That same definition should be in the girl. Right now it seems like she should be back there with the 1st tree since the bridge is so dark.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 am
Nice details on the tree leaves! smile

The girls left lower leg (the one that's further away from the screen) might need to be a bit thicker, with a bit more emphasis on the 'divot' at the ankle joint. to further delineate leg from foot.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games