Eloquent Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 am
First Hour

There was blood on my hands.

How odd, the thought rolled through my mind, but I can't tell if it is mine.

It was still warm, and wet. It coated my hands, making them slick. I felt the oddest sensation as the blood dripped off of my fingertips. Was this blood mine? Did it belong to somebody else? I considered this, disturbingly calm, but confused. It felt like there was a thick fog in my mind, creating a disgusting haze that laid over everything. My thoughts rolled about in a sluggish mess, and my emotions took too long to form -- it felt as though they were caught in muck. A frown pulled at my lips. My body should not be acting like this. At the moment, I was grateful, for I could feel the rabid fear and horror that lurked just beyond the haze.

If I discovered the source of the blood, would the haze lift?

Hesitantly, I lifted my gaze from my bloody hands. The cause for the stain on my skin must have been close. The blood was still warm. Very warm. Blackness covered the room around me, disguising whatever it may have held. Still wrapped in my eerie calm, I lowered my hands to my sides and stood, straight and tall. Whatever was in the room, I would most certainly handle. My patience stretched as the moments ticked by.

A light flickered on somewhere, coming alive with an electric twang.

What I saw made the haze in my mind blow away; and the horror that I'd felt flooded into me. Shock boiled through my veins, replacing blood with ice. Fear caught in my stomach, twisting and cramping it into sharp knots. Bile rose in my mouth, and for a moment, hysteria broke through the shock. It might have sounded insane, but I actually felt like laughing. Choked sounds escaped from me as I took a faltering step backwards -- they sounded like little chuckles. When I felt my foot come down on some part of a human body, the sounds died in my throat. The need to be sick replaced them. Now I gagged, swallowing and breathing in deeply, trying to calm down.

What surrounded me was carnage. It was horror incarnate.

Blood coated everything like a second layer of paint. Bodies lay scattered, twisted at unnatural angles -- some of them missing parts. Weapons, ranging from guns to knives, were scattered about. . . Some of them were embedded in the people. Inwardly, I wondered just who was capable of doing such. . . Terrible things.

A moment later, I knew the blood on my hands was not my own.

I couldn't help the retching then, as I doubled over on myself and hugged my stomach. Painful heaves racked my body, and my eyes watered. Clearly I hadn't eaten much, as barely anything was expelled. After I was sure that my body was done, I carelessly wiped my mouth with the back of a shaking had. Instantly I froze, realizing just what I had done. I remained like that, frozen, as I tasted the heavy uniqueness of copper on my tongue. Letting out a sharp squeak, I used my forearm and scrubbed at my mouth, rubbing so hard that it became painful.

I am not capable of killing anyone.

(Oh, but you're capable of so much more. . . )

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to calm myself down. No. I was not capable of killing anybody. I stared down at the ground, looking at my feet, grateful for the small patch of blood-free floor I stood upon. My hands remained clenched at my sides, and my cheek was beginning to ache inside of my mouth.

The electrical buzzing sounded once more overhead, flickering. Apparently it had been damaged in the fight that had occurred. Closing my eyes, I breathed in through my mouth, unwilling to subject myself to the stench of death and blood that lingered. The first logical thing to do would be to get out of the room. . . A room littered with blood, corpses, and weaponry. The light flickered on once more, and I surveyed the room quickly.

There. The door.

(There's no reason to run. It's who you are.)

The door couldn't have been more than thirty feet away from where I was currently standing. It was open, and light spilled from it readily, beckoning me to the hallway that surely lay beyond. The only problem? I would have to pick my way across the body-strewn room to get there.

The notion of it nearly made me sick again. Since biting my cheek seemed to help me deal with naseua the first time, I did so again. There was no way around this. Either work my way to the door, I stand there, forever in the presence of dead bodies. The former seemed far more appealing than the latter. Closing my eyes, I mentally steeled myself, gathering together what shreds of courage I had left.

Slowly, I took a step forward.

You can do this. A few steps, and you'll be out of here.

(You will never escape what you are.)

Choking back the sickness that threatened to overwhelm me, I bit my cheek harder, increasing the pressure. Gingerly, I made my way over the floor, using the pain in my cheek to help distract myself from the sick sights around me. It did a good job -- but it couldn't block out the smell. A thick, coppery, cloying scent laid over the air, wrapping around me and making my head spin. It was the stench of death, blood, fear, and war. I did not need any other person to tell me that.

Focusing only on the door, I edged closer to it, fighting my way over to salvation. Nearly losing my balance, I finally placed the back of my hand over my mouth (no blood on it, as I checked quickly) to help filter out the smell, but it did little good. There was so much blood everywhere. . . This room would smell like this for years. . .

(Revel in the red. It is what birthed you.)

Let me find a way out, I prayed silently.

Something shot out and wrapped around my ankle, holding me in an iron grip. My heart stuttered in my chest, and it startled me so badly that I did lose my balance -- and as I fell, I landed directly on another body. A startled scream rose in my chest and began to bubble out of my throat, but. . . The sound didn't come out. Nothing but a breathy whisper emerged, and shock rolled through me once more. What was wrong with me? Had something happened to my throat? Why couldn't I scream? These questions swirled through my head, distracting me from what had just happened. A raspy breath caught my attention in the next second, and I stared down at my ankle, discovering it to be a hand. I traced the limb back to the body of a man, whom was currently glaring at me, blood dripping down his face. He had a gun clutched tightly in his other hand, although it hardly looked like he had the strength to pull the trigger.

(Ah. . . So beautiful. So breathtaking.)

I flinched away from him as he raised the gun, training it on me. His hand shook so bad that the gun couldn't stay locked on me for very long. Instincts inside of me told me to run, to get away, but fear kept me frozen. All I could do was wonder stupidly why he was trying to kill me. I hadn't done anything to him. I'd woken up here with blood on my hands. I stared at him, watched his lips move, but there was blood roaring in my ears. My heart was racing at a million miles an hour, and the drumming downed out his words. I wrenched my eyes shut, muscles tensing, waiting for the bullet that was sure to penetrate my skull and kill me. I'm not certain, although I think I tried to whimper with my non-functioning throat.

His let out a small cry and a pained gurgle, before he managed to groan. I heard the gun clatter uselessly to the floor, but there was no eardrum-shattering bang, no intense pain in my skull. My entire body shook, and I felt like a leaf in a storm. I heard something moving, and curiosity began to rage in me. Why wasn't I dead yet? I was waiting for the end. . . Was he waiting for me to open my eyes? I did so, but slowly, unsure of the scene before me.

Instantly I wished that I hadn't.

(You cannot shy away from the truth. It's impossible.)

There was a man standing over me, garbed in the strangest armor I'd ever seen. In the blinking vision of the light, I could barely see him. I could make out a blade, strapped to his arm, now tinged with red. My gaze travelled to his face, and fear boiled inside of me once more. The man before me had red eyes. The gaze befitting of a demon. He wore a mask stained with blood. He had done this! He had murdered all of these people! I was going to be next. I knew this.

The demon wearing a man's skin stared at me, red eyes gazing at me. I stared back up, too terrified to move and run for the door. Any second, that blade was going to pierce me. It took me a moment, but I realized that concern was shining through those red eyes. He shifted, turning to face me, and the knife strapped to his wrist sank into an invisible sheath. He was absolutely silent, not a sound coming from him. Fluidly, he came to crouch in front of me. Fearing an attack, I tried to back away from the demon, but there was nowhere to go.

Besides, I was sitting on the corpse of a man. I didn't have much choice.

He stretched out his hand towards me, the skin there covered by a fingerless, black glove. Out of instinct, I raised a hand to shield myself, thinking he was trying to hit me. Amidst the carnage, my reaction wouldn't seem too out of place.

(Yet you fear those you hold dear to you?)

"Don't touch me! Don't get close to me!" I tried to say, but nothing came out. My throat made no sound. In a way, it was as if something thick was stuck in my throat. Not a single word would leave me.

I wrenched my eyes shut, just so I wouldn't have to see the blow coming. The pain would hit me, yes, but surely it wouldn't have to hurt as badly if I watched. . .

The demon's hand touched me, gently coming to a rest on my cheek. Curiosity made me open my eyes, made me wonder why the blow had not come yet.

The bloody eyes that stared at me, cold and killer-eqsue, openly displayed some kind of concern. Affection. Silence radiated from him in waves, but there was no malice there. His hand moved slowly, skirting up over my cheek and onto my ear. I felt his fingers brush over something I hadn't noticed -- a small metal device. It was clipped onto my ear like a little headset, although I couldn't figure out why. How could I not have noticed it earlier? I peered up at the demon, questioning.

(Soon you'll remember. Of that I may promise you.)

He seemed to be asking me questions too, although I couldn't decipher what he wanted. The fear I'd been harboring towards him eased, and somehow, I knew that he was not there to harm me. Something akin to a sigh escaped from him, and the hand that had been on my cheek feel to my arm. In a graceful movement, he pulled me up to my feet alongside him, wrapping one arm around my waist in a secure hold. It flustered me, and I struggled against him, not liking this at all. He'd just invaded my personal space, and now he was wanting me to cling to him? I could walk. Really.

Even though my shaking legs told me otherwise, I knew I could do it.

When he started to walk, I frowned. He was forcing me to cling to him -- almost as if he knew I wanted to walk on my own. Giving up after a few steps, I reluctantly allowed myself to be half-dragged out of the room. In a way, I was grateful towards the demon man. He had gotten me to the sanctuary of the hallway much quicker than I could have done myself. We stepped out into the brightly lit and clean hallway, and only then did he release me.

I went from clinging the demon to clinging to the wall, thankful for the support it leant me. My body was beginning to grow sore and tired, exhausted and fatigue running rampant in my muscles. Odd, how I hadn't noticed that before. I wondered how it had come to be -- but then the question got swept away in the tides of others that were running around inside of my head. They buzzed there, annoying me, as I had no answers. I didn't know how I got there. I didn't know who he was.

I didn't know anything.

Glancing up at the demon, I found him staring back at me, red eyes concentrated on my face. I looked away, unable to stand the sight of those strange red eyes. Surely I should still fear him, as he had murdered a man right in front of me. I just. . . Couldn't bring myself to feel any fear. Not when he was involved. It was very odd, seeing as the moment I'd opened my eyes, I had been swept away into mind-numbing terror, and when he was close, it just seemed to be. . . Melting away. It was almost as if a close proximity to him soothed me. Why? I didn't know the demon. . .

Something tickled in the back of my mind, but I brushed it aside wearily. I had no desire to deal with any of this. I didn't want to go rooting around inside of my head, trying to find out answers to the questions -- I didn't know what I would uncover. Surely it would be horrible.

(That's right. Rest your mind for now, cracked and broken as it is.)

The demon moved around me, and stood before me once more. I looked up at him, finding the sight of those red eyes wholly unnerving.

"What do you want?" I asked, but nothing came out. My lips moved, yes, but no sound emerged. Frustration rose inside of me -- how could I have forgotten? One would think that after a failed attempt at screaming, I would remember something like that.

"Zero, what's wrong with you?" He spoke, ending the silent treatment I'd gotten from him. His voice was deep, scratchy -- like he was unused to speaking.

Actually hearing someone talk sent a pang of relief through me. Good. I wasn't deaf. That still left the question as to why the hell I couldn't speak. I didn't bother opening my mouth again, as it would be stupid to try and talk again. What was with this name? Zero? My name wasn't Zero, it was. . . Oh. Oh.

A different kind of fear washed through me.

I don't know my name.

(Let them name you as they please. Only I know your true name.)

"Did you get hurt? Zero, stop acting like this." His tone reprimanded me, and inwardly I felt anger building towards him.

I wasn't acting like anything. I couldn't very well reply to him. He stopped, satisfied that I was uninjured (which was good by my book), and returned to staring me straight in the eyes. I stared right back, feeling a little undignified. It wasn't as if I was purposefully doing anything. I was exhausted, had just walked through hell, and had thrown up. That should have been enough to warrant some downtime, right? No, as apparently he had other plans in mind.

"Come on, Zero, talk to me." His voice sharpened slightly, bordering on a command. I glared at him, emotions twisting together.

"Obviously, I can't, as I have no voice." I snapped back -- or. . . Intended to. Anger had gotten the better of me. I'd forgotten, again.

"I know you don't." He replied back smoothly, and I stared at him, in shock once more. My poor heart. At this rate, it was going to give out on me or something.

"You can read my lips?" I mouthed, with no intention of forcing my voice out. He stared at me, confused, bloody eyes shrouded in it.

"Zero, you know I can do that. What's wrong with you? Did you get hit?"

His hand swept over my head, fingers searching my scalp for any kind of injury. I lifted my hand and batted his arm away (some part of my mind cringed and expected retaliation), and he stared at me once more, gaze conflicted with a manner of things. He slowly stood, took a step back, giving me some room to breathe.

"Tell me what happened." He said slowly, and I blinked at him.

"I don't know. I don't anything that happened." It was the truth. The horror of not being able to remember my name was not all that shocking -- but now that I thought about it, I didn't remember anything. How I'd gotten there, my name, or anything else. It was all an empty, blank slate. Irrational fear tried to grip me once more, but I refused. I wasn't going to fall prey to that again.

He fell silent, and a growing anxiety began to bloom inside of me. Why was he looking at me like that? I couldn't even begin to tell what he was thinking -- I must have been as easy to read as a book -- as everything he thought was locked behind those bloody red eyes. A tense moment of silence passed, and finally, he spoke.

"Tell me who you are."

"I don't know who I am. . . I don't know. . . " I felt like I was being crushed under weights as I lipped the words. It was true. . . But it left me feeling so, so lost. Lost, alone, afraid. . .

(You will never be alone, for you are always under my wing.)

The demon looked as though I'd slapped him across the face. His expression dropped, and as I watched, his eyes revealed a startling vulnerability. It was there for all but a millisecond, and then it was gone once more, replaced with that mask of murder I had come to stare at. e eyes concentrated on me, searching my face -- probably trying to see if I was lying.

". . . Your name is Zero," He began slowly, hesitating, eyes uncertain, ". . . And you're like me. . ."

"What are you?" I could not stop the question on my lips. It rolled off before I could stop it. I wanted to know. It was ripping me apart on the inside. I wanted to know what he was -- what I was. The look in his eyes told me that I was not going to like the answer at all. Seeing as he knew me, and he was a murderer, I figured it wouldn't be all that great anyway.

"You're a weapon. An assassin. It's what we do."

(Never forget who you are.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 am
Second Hour

The demon stared at me from over his shoulder, and I did my absolute best not to glare back.

He thought I was going to freak out again. Upon telling me what I was, he had led me to some pane of glass, where I could see my reflection. When I had seen the armor strapped onto my body (a different varation of his armor), I had freaked out. Since that incident, he had taken it upon himself to grab my hand and lead me about. He would not release me. I had tried to stop and tug, but he had simply overpowered me and dragged me along anyway. Shortly after the third attempt to stop him, he had turned around and threatened to carry me over his shoulder. Not wanting to risk it (since it seemed like he would do it) I had given up and walked along reluctantly. On top of him showing me he could force me to do what he wanted, he kept staring. Giving me looks with those freaky eyes of his every minute or so. That succeeded in irritating me further.

"You doing alright?" The demon asked me, for the millionth time.

No, I was not alright. If he had the impression I was alright, he was sorely mistaken. I had woken up in a room full of slaughtered people, I was exhausted, supposedly I was some kind of assassin, he was towing me behind him, and he was asking me if I was okay every five seconds. No, I was not okay. Especially since we were walking through some kind of building filled with dead soldiers. He seemed to have memorized some route, as he knew what doors to take and when to make turns. But I was coming to the end of my tether. I was fed up with walking, I was tired, my head hurt, and I desperately wanted to sleep. Maybe, just maybe, this would all fade away, and I would wake up in something much more normal.
He turned and stared at me again.

"Stop staring!" I snapped, not bothering to hold my glare. He turned around, pulling my hand behind him. I glared at his back, and it made me feel slightly better that I could somehow vent my anger towards something, even if he might've been undeserving of it. . . Maybe. After all, he had been part of the entire "assassin" bit -- he could be the reason I was in this entire mess!

(Ha. . . You amuse me so.)

He pulled me along identical hallways and through doors, each one revealing at least a single dead person. I didn't try to dwell on that for too long, since I just wanted to get the hell out of the creepy place, and he seemed to be leading me towards an exit. I thought. When he had taken my hand, he didn't really tell me where we were going. I had just assumed. Could I trust him? Should I trust him?

"You doing okay back there?" He asked, demon eyes glancing over his shoulder to stare at me.

Exasperated, I dug in my heels, effectively annoying him enough that he turned on me, red eyes staring down at my face. His gaze must have been naturally intense - but coupled with the red color, it was almost terrifying. Not to mention the fact that he stood about six feet tall ( I think I was somewhere around five foot five), and the armor strapped onto him gave him a very intimidating aura. Black hair hung down in spiky strips, somewhat damp.

"I told you if you tried to stop me, I would carry you." He murmured softly, and as he took a step towards me, I felt my courage buckle a little. I did not want what little dignity I had to be shattered by this man!

(Don't back down so easily. Think and evade.)

"Where are we going?" I hastened to ask, wanting to save myself, and not liking the mental image of him throwing me over his shoulder. From the quiet strength that radiated from him, I could tell that it would be very easy for him.

"I already told you." He said, sounding as exasperated as I had felt, "We're going to the safe house."

"How do I know you aren't going to kill me?" There. I had said it. My inward fear of his strength and cold mask. My question provoked a terrifying reaction. It shocked me as intensely as everything else had.

The demon laughed.

It was an honest-to-god laugh. His mask fell away, and he laughed hard enough that he nearly cried. I stood there, holding his hand, feeling like an idiot. It took a moment for the chuckles to subside, but he stared at me, a smile lingering on his face. Another tickle stirred in my mind, as I knew something about that smile that he gave me. Something that was locked away with the rest of my memories.

(Even lost, you are able to put him at ease. . . Wonders never cease.)

"Zero, if I had wanted to kill you, I would have done it by now." He said it easily, that humor still in his voice, that smile on his lips. True. He had killed that man back in the bloody room earlier. I had seen that. I felt kind of stupid now that I considered it a second time. Then my irritation flickered up to the surface again.

"That's not my name." I said, nearly glaring up at him again. This made his smile grow wider.

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

"My name isn't some stupid number!"

"My name is Wrath, and yours is Zero."

That one made me pause for a moment. I stared at him, taken back. He seemed to be expecting that -- and I could tell he was having a hard time trying not to laugh. Something on my expression must have been triggering that.

"My name is Zero. . . And your name is Wrath." I repeated, having trouble wrapping my mind around it all. He nodded.

"That's right. Ready to start walking now?" He gestured to the other side of the room we were in, where another door waited to be opened. I gave it a glance before staring at him. He said he was taking me to a safe house. He wasn't planning to kill me (right now, anyway), and apparently, he had a very demon-esque name to go with his eyes.

(Go along. I would enjoy seeing you someplace safe.)

Wrath didn't quite give me any time to nod my head or tell him yes. He just turned around, chuckled again, and began to walk. I noticed a change in the way that he held my hand -- before, it held it tightly, as if afraid that I'd run away. Now he held it more gently, but it was still a strong grip. I was thankful for it. My hand was beginning to ache anyway.

When we stepped through the door, I found myself sucking in nighttime air. Cool, refreshing, not-coppery air. Like a fish starving for air, I sucked it in, feeling the coldness brushing against my lungs. It was heaven. With every breath, I could imagine it purifying my lungs of the stench of death and blood. It was one of the most wonderful things I'd ever experienced in my life. Before I could stand there and beg him to let me breathe in all the air in the world, he was tugging me along again, pulling me across a parking lot of sorts. I followed, more willingly, curiosity growing. Where were we? Why had there been soldiers everywhere? Why was the parking lot empty?

(Ever the curious child. Put it from your mind.)

He approached some kind of vehicle, and I took a moment to examine it.

For all intents and purposes, it looked like a go-kart. A hybrid between a jeep and a go-kart. It had doors, and a top, a windshield, mirrors, but some of the sides were missing. Wrath found me eying it, and he gestured to the passenger door.

"We modified it a bit, but it's safe. I'm driving." He said it in a way that made it sound like he never got to drive. Like the six-foot-tall, armor-garbed assassin would pout if he didn't get to drive. I had to suppress rolling my eyes.

He released my hand, and I immediately went over to the passenger side, opening the door and getting inside. I didn't harbor a single notion of running from him, or doing something else rash -- and that kind of shocked me. I had been entertaining notions of running away before Wrath's laughing-bit, and the fact that I wanted to go willingly now. . . Well. Surely there were surprises waiting around every corner?

(Relax and rest. You need it.)

If Wrath was surprised by my actions (or pleased), he didn't show it. He got into the driver's seat, pulled a key out of somewhere on his person, and jammed it into the ignition. The machine started with a stealthy purr. Before he pulled it into gear, I glanced over at him. That assassin-mask was back on again. He was concentrating. He pulled out of the parking lot easily, driving onto some well-worn road made of dirt. We passed by a guard station of sorts, and I noticed that the entire complex had a metal fence lined with barbed wire. So. . . It had been a military instillation. Kind of what I had suspected, but I had just wanted to make sure. . .

The cool night air distracted me again, and I closed my eyes, sucking in another lungful. I could literally feel the cold wash away all the traces of fear and horror. Relaxing into the seat, I kept my eyes closed, breathing in deeply. Wrath said nothing. He picked up speed, and soon the wind was whipping my hair about, into my face and. . . Opening my eyes, I looked at my hair. It was a very dark shade of brown -- nearly as dark as Wrath's. I hadn't noticed that at first when I had seen myself. I'd been too preoccupied with the armor. I turned to look at him, but he wasn't paying any attention to me. He was looking at the road, driving in the dark without any faults.

I tapped him on the arm.

"Don't you need the headlights?" I mouthed once I had gained his attention. He shook his head and turned his gaze back to the road.

Oh. So his eyes weren't a natural red! I knew it. I stared at him for another moment, and then at my knees. Black gleamed back dully at me. I bit the inside of my aching cheek, prompting more blood into my mouth. I grimaced at the action, but it made me feel slightly better. It made me feel slightly normal, anyway. Like I wasn't some weapon to be used in the murder of people. But this armor. . . I could hardly feel it on my body. It felt like it was a part of me, and so strange, that the armor wasn't laying on top of my clothes -- I reached down, wondering if the shin-armor was strapped there with quick release buckles.

Wrath grabbed my shoulder.

(No more fear from you. You're at your limit.)

"Let's not try to remove that right now. I'll help you when we're at the safe house."

I nodded, unwilling to argue with him. Sitting up straight again, I stifled a yawn, my eyes slowly drifting shut. It felt nice, the air in my face, Wrath driving us somewhere safe, and I was tired. . . I closed my eyes, letting my mind sink into black.

. . . I awoke, blinking, disoriented. I was no longer in the machine that Wrath was driving, there was no wind in my face, and I was not moving. I was surrounded by black. Curious, as I could not see the surface that I was sitting on. I felt it, but nothing visible was there. Looking around, I peered into the darkness surrounding me. Nothing. Not a whisper of movement. Slowly getting to my feet, I turned around, searching for something -- anything.

A hand drifted over the nape of my neck.

I whirled around, trying to find the person who'd touched me, but I could see nothing. Only the blackness. In that moment, I wished that I had a voice to speak with. I would be able to call out, ask who was there. . .

But you already know.

The voice was deep and ancient and powerful. It froze me to the spot. My heart picked up, and I found my fists clenching, eyes trying to find the threat. Surely the owner of the voice was here to hurt me? I heard some kind of deep rumbling, and it vibrated in the air, making my heart stutter in my chest. It was laughter. The owner of that frightening voice was laughing.

Now, tell me, my child, why would I want to hurt you?

My child? I turned my gaze, trying to find the person, but my weak eyes could not see into the darkness. I was getting a headache just from trying. Closing my eyes, I felt another featherlight touch on my body -- my hip. I shivered. My skin felt cold there, as if I had brushed against the hand of death itself. Who was it? Who was I talking to? What did they want? Had I known them before I'd woken up in the room? That rumble came again, shaking the questions from my head.

In due time, all of those questions shall be answered. For now, you must rest. I must rest.

I felt fingers, then, touching my forehead, resting there. Instead of the freezing cold I'd felt before, a warmth spread there, from my head down to my toes. I felt tired and fatigued all over again. I opened my eyes, blearily, and I saw the strangest flash of something in the dark, large and white against the shadows that surrounded me. I fell asleep before I could try to figure out what it was.

"Hey there. You alive?" Wrath's voice penetrated my sleep-fogged brain, and I blinked my eyes open slowly, not liking reality at all. I was tired. Sleep was good. Apparently, though, Wrath didn't think it was that great an idea. I looked at him, trying halfheartedly to keep my eyes open and interest piqued.

"How long was I asleep?" I managed to get my mouth to move. I'd had some weird dream, so surely I must've been out for a while?

"Not that long." I interpreted that as long enough.

"Come on. Let's get you up." He began to get me up, tugging me here and there, guiding me out of the machine. Sometime during my nap, we'd parked in some kind of garage. I could smell oil and metal. . . With a faint taste of copper. I couldn't quite help the shiver that crawled down my spine on that one. I had smelled enough copper to last me a lifetime.

He began to walk, and I groaned mentally. More damn walking. Sure. I might have been wearing the armor that should have belonged to a soldier, but that didn't mean I was one. Even if Wrath told me I was a weapon. . . Which I wasn't. I wasn't capable of killing anyone, anyway. Great weapon made.

We entered a door, and warm air gusted over me. I was grateful for it. After all I had been through, I was glad to finally be someplace safe, where I could get some rest, get this damn armor off of me and --

"Sissy!" A voice called, filled with childish glee. Surprise took me, and I tried to squeak in terror as something attacked me.

Wrath caught me, knocked-off-balance as I was, and straightened me back up. The rabid thing that had pounced on me was now squeezing my hips, small arms wrapped around me. Absolutely bewildered, I just stood there. There, beaming up at me, was a girl no older than eight years old. She had beautiful curly blond hair, and the most amazing pair of green eyes I'd ever seen. White teeth flashed again as she giggled.

"Oh, sissy! I was waiting for you and big brother to get home. What took you so long?"

I blinked.

"Rune, let go of Zero. She's very tired, and it's bedtime for you." He murmured gently, extricating the girl from my frozen body.

What. The. Hell?

Wrath looked at me, and he gave me the signal to wait. I did, standing in a room that I didn't recognize, but it felt faintly familiar. It was a kitchen of sorts, but it looked far too tidy. Didn't anybody bother to use it? Returning my attention to the doorway Wrath had come through, he appeared again, beckoning me forward. I followed. He led me through a living room, and back into a hallway. I heard someone talking behind a closed door, sounding quite masculine, but I paid it no heed. If Wrath was no worried, there was no reason for me to be, either.

Opening a door at the end of the hallway, I stepped in a bedroom. I felt like crying in relief right then and there. Wrath stepped in behind me, flicking on the light. I made my way over to the bed before I turned and looked up at him.

"Alright. We'll talk in the morning. Just sleep in your clothes tonight, okay?"

I nodded my head, not caring about the clothes bit. A bed was a bed. I would be able to sleep. Wrath hesitated for another moment, hovering, before he nodded as well. I wanted to ask him if anything was wrong, but I was too tired. I would be able to ask him tomorrow, anyway. He didn't say anything as he left, flicking the light off. Only after the door closed did I dare to get on the bed.

I didn't curl up under the covers. Just being on the mattress felt like heaven incarnate. With a grateful sigh, I curled up on the pillows and closed my eyes. Instantly I asleep.

Kyoshoku

Eloquent Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Generous 100

DreamingRoses1224

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 pm
I've only read the first hour so far, but it's good. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath at the end. It was, of course, a bit confusing, but that's really what made it so interesting! I have to admit though, that I did get tired of reading about the smell and and such over and over. A little to much describing in that area. As soon as the other guy showed up, it was well-balanced. No other critiques to offer you at this point. I'll read your second hour tomorrow... biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:29 pm
Well... I finished it... hmmm... it's good, that's for sure, and i want to read more. The storyline is sketchy at the moment, but you have elements in it that keep the reader enthused. The second hour was a bit jerky. It was stop go stop go throughout the entire section. I'd work on smoothing it out. Nice job. =)  

DreamingRoses1224

Tink_Bel

Lonely Creature

16,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:23 pm
this is really good! you should definitely publish it, and i don't say that about much writing  
Novels/Novellas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games