Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Aalagon's Art

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aalagon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 am

These are some rough sketches of a character in a manga that I am thinking about drawing. Tell me what you think. If you have a tip please explain it.
User ImageUser Image
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Before I start, let me say that I'm not telling you how to draw. You draw however you're gonna draw, HOWEVER look to real life for what you're drawing. The problem with the dinner plate eyed manga character is that generally, that feature that we're most drawn to, that takes up most of the face is empty and dull.

Study your own facial expressions in the mirror. Carefully note what your brows do, how your mouth moves. This will help you greatly.

This book can be found at pretty much any chain bookstore. Sit a while and give it a read. It will read very quickly and you can learn just what I mean, using your own face and your friends as reference.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Aalagon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tip. These were some of my first attempts at drawing this stuff. It seems that I have a problem with not being able to think outside of realistic as far as drawing manga goes.

LOL I'm turn into too much of a perfectionist.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:27 pm

I feel like there's a major problem with just how bland the expressions are. If you're going to make a character have such massive eyes then you should have those eyes show some sort of emotion rather than just having them exist as massive glass beads on her face. The thumbnails at the top of the first image are the only ones that I feel any real connection to.

This character's face in the larger images is generic, and I'm not sure how much she would appear to be different from any other character that you draw. I feel like the more you draw the more you'll develop your own style, and maybe these problems will sort themselves out.

Oh, there's another nitpicky thing based on one of my pet peeves that I feel I should bring up. Why name her Katsuko? Is there any real reason to have the character be Japanese? Do you know enough about the culture to pull it off? She certainly doesn't look Japanese. This doesn't have anything to do with your art, but it's just something you might want to think about.

Out of everything I like the rotation thumbnails at the top best. The eye size is more realistic, and the facial expressions are done fairly well. I also like the hair design, unrealistic though it may be. It seems to be when you go larger that you run into problems.

Griffonage

Aalagon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:55 am

Thanks for the comment!

This is a rough sketch as I said in the opening statement, and this is my first real experience with manga style drawing. So, I was really just trying to get the proportions right, and make the face look at least decent. I think like you said that the problems will work themselves out.

The name was the first one thrown on the table, and I just really haven't had the time to bother, nor have cared to come up with anything else for this charcter. No, in this case there is no reason for her to be Japanese. I know a good amount about Japanese culture; however, I am not an expert. In any case, that is not the question that I asked when I made this thread.

So, I would like to say that pet peeves should be left outside the thread since they don't hold any real concern to me. Only art related comments please.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games