Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
FullyArmed's Art Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FullyArmed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Hey, my name's FullyArmed or Steve, IDRC what you call me. I draw mostly anime and cartoon characters. I don't have much art, a lot of it got burned on accident (long story, don't ask). I've only got one piece scanned on my computer, I'll post more soon.

Roxas - Kingdom Hearts II

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:05 pm

It looks rather copied. Looking at things and drawing them are a great idea to get a feel for the tools and line and such, but not so to copy directly from artwork that won't teach you anything.

What I do when I reference things is just study what I'd like to capture. In this case, get a feel for the direction of the hair. I could do the same pose and make the face you want in the mirror. Study that too. Then draw. (Keep the mirror to look at so you can get the shapes of the eyes and such right.)

Your lines will be smoother and the image won't look all disconnected. Imagine mixing liquid vs mixing marbles. This is like the marbles. They're together, but not really. They can't blend to make one solid piece.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

FullyArmed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Errol McGillivray
It looks rather copied. Looking at things and drawing them are a great idea to get a feel for the tools and line and such, but not so to copy directly from artwork that won't teach you anything.

What I do when I reference things is just study what I'd like to capture. In this case, get a feel for the direction of the hair. I could do the same pose and make the face you want in the mirror. Study that too. Then draw. (Keep the mirror to look at so you can get the shapes of the eyes and such right.)

Your lines will be smoother and the image won't look all disconnected. Imagine mixing liquid vs mixing marbles. This is like the marbles. They're together, but not really. They can't blend to make one solid piece.
Thanks, it was copied from a screenshot. I'll work on doing more original stuff.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games