Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Tablets?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FullyArmed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:59 pm
I'm looking into buying/getting for my birthday a tablet. I'd like something pretty cheap but reliable. I was looking at Wacom Bamboo Small Pen Tablet, Black its 5.8" x 3.7" (of touchable space) and it costs 65 bucks. It's gotten great reviews and most of the stuff I read says the size isn't a problem.

I'd like something less than 100 dollars if it's possible, I don't have much money  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm

I'd go for the bamboo if you're on a tight budget 3nodding until this year I'd been using an old wacom graphire around the same size you're getting and it was sufficient - towards the end pieces and buttons were falling off and the connection wasn't so good but that's after 3-4 years of hard use... I hear that the intuos's are more durable though.

Wacoms are generally good investments and they've actually gotten cheaper over the years for equivalent specs 3nodding

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Rezseni

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:34 pm
I agree with T i r a e l, wacoms seem to be the way to go.

I use a graphire 3, the old non-bluetooth one and it works great. I got it about 6-7 years ago? The only thing I have a problem with is the pen nib is scratchy but I haven't replaced it since I got it. XD; The bamboo looks awesome. :>  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:47 pm
Wacom is the best brand for tablets. They're compatible with windows and mac and have touch sensitivity and last long, etc. I've had wacom for years now and never had any trouble with it. One of my friends has tried other brands and they've all had various problems.

I've got an ituous 3 right now, but if you're looking for a more afordable model, the bamboo looks really nice. The bamboo fun, would of course, be better for drawing because that's what it's designed for (it has more features better for artists than the normal bamboo). Getting a tablet makes computer art so much easier. :3  

PinkRainCloud

Cpt Issa Kazuma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am
Sup I'm new
But I have the tablet you are looking at
and I say go get it
I have not had any problems with it, the sensitivitly of the tablet is great
I run it on photoshop and its great.
The size is great for me, and the price is just right for it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 am
I have a Bamboo and I'm really satisfied with it. At first I wanted to buy a Genius but at the shop they told me that if I want something good then it should be Wacom...  

Kristina-chan

Mr Enigma Girl

Wheezing Capitalist

6,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:45 am
I use a Bamboo One. It's my first tablet and it's great for learning with! The program that comes with it, ArtRage 2, is great as well.

On top of that, this tablet is CHEAP!

Two big thumbs up!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:50 pm
I have both a wacom bamboo and a wacom Intuos 3. Both work just fine after several years, and many spills. I very much prefer my Intuos in terms of pressure sensitivity, but the bamboo (which is technically my boyfriend's) is far more useful for travel. Honestly, I don't care much for the way the bamboo draws. Most likely he either has it calibrated weirdly or I'm just spoiled by the Intuos.

Still, that said, wacom's being considered the #1 tablet company means that they charge a lot more, even for their lower quality models like the bamboo. In other words, it's reliable, but it isn't as sensitive.

By contrast also have tried (just for a day) an Adesso cybertablet, and I found it more comparable to the Wacom Intuos in terms of sensativity, while being INFINITELY cheaper. For the price of a small Wacom bamboo, you can get a large and more sensitive cybertablet. Still, I know nothing of the cybertablet's reliability.

In the end it's your call which is more important to you: reliability or sensitivity.  

ichie-ichiko

4,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Apprentice-S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm
I own a bamboo, it's great actually.

Not my skill doing it favors though. Just be careful of the pen nibs. They're sensitive sometimes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 pm
I have a Genius tablet, the G-Pen F610. I haven't had any problems with it, it works just fine.

Pretty cheep too. I got it for 75 euros... I think that's 105 dollars. All the others (which were all Wacom by the way) were at least 120 euros, ie 168 dollars. (of course, keep in mind that in this country nobody cares about art, so art supplies are pretty expencive and rare)  

nekys

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff