Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Your family and your healthy lifestyle?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family play a role in your weight gain?
  yes, it's all their fault for not teaching me healthy eating habits when I was young
  yes they play a role in it since they don't make healthy choices and I can't buy my own food.
  no, most of my family are healthy
  No, it's no one's fault but mine.
  Other
View Results

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm
How many people think they're family plays a large role in their weight gain?
Or maybe your group of friends?

My family is for starters, a very bad example when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle. Our household contains plenty of fatty sugar filled foods with little to no nutritional value. My mother usually makes enough food to feed an army. With huge helping of fatty red meats, fries and only a couple veggies on the side maybe. My mother does no from of physical activity AT ALL. She's very overweight. She's tried to lose the weight a couple times. Usually cutting out carbs for a couple of weeks before giving up, even if she was loosing weight.

During holidays when the rest of my family comes over. We have sooo much food, and we never have any healthy options. It's all hotdogs wrapped in bacon, deep fried cheese etc. We usually have a huge roast beef dinner and then you have about 5 different extremely fatning deserts to choose from.

Now, it's one thing to say there's a lot of temptation and not many healthy choices in my house. But, it's not my house, so I'm not about to ask them all to change too. The least they could do is be supportive. Instead they are completely the opposite. Poking fun at me, saying one cheeseburger is not going to ruin my diet whenever we pass through a drive through. Saying I need some meat on my bones and that's why I'm always cold. Constantly ridiculing my healthy lifestyle rather than being proud of me from breaking away from a family's tradition of unhealthy habits. emo

Luckily I don't eat at home very often. Breakfast, but that usually consists of cereal like honey nut cheerios. Occasionally supper as well but usually I'm at work or school for both lunch and supper. With a Subway right next door to my work, this works out well for me.

Today for example, being a holiday everyone was home. I just snacked on left over salads all day. Okay, a couple chocolates too. The rest of my family is having hotdogs with cheese and bacon and french fries right now. stare  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:22 pm
I am asuming that I'll be one of the few that has a family that eats healthy and I don't.

I don't eat whatever my family does mainly because I'm a vegetarian (laco-ovo) and they're not. Since there meals usually consist of some sort of meat, I don't really have a choice.

Because of this, I am afraid I've gotten into a bad eating habits. My meals usually consist of some sort of pasta. For the most part I eat pasta, cheese and sauce. Not the most healthiest things, obviously. I am a terrible vegetarian. xp

My parents have even tried to motivate me by buying me some vegetables, but I'm been too stubborn to try it. I guess it's mainly the motivation am struggling with.

Though, I guess I could say that my grandparents were a bad influence on eating unhealthy, since they always took my brother and I to McDonalds I swear like everyday when I was little. Thankfully, fast food makes me sick now whenever I eat it, since I don't eat it anymore for the most part.

I am amazed on how big the sizes are there! eek I got a small drink and french fries and it was way too much food!

Plus, I'm a very picky eater in general, which isn't very good. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive my trip to Costa Rica. lol

Sorry for my rant-like post. I felt like rambling on a little.

Kittymutt

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:34 pm
I wouldn't say that my family has a unhealthy lifestyle; but its not bad either. My family is pretty active. My mom and dad especially. I, though, am quite lazy. sweatdrop We eat a lot of not so healthy foods sometimes. We eat a ton of meat in our family, mostly beef and chicken. We raise our own meat. But we also eat a lot of vegetables sometimes, my moms garden is huge. I spend way too much time in the house. I need to find a hobby or get a job to just get me out of the house.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 am
Gotta admit it was definitely my fiance that caused my gain. When I moved in with him I didn't bring my rice cooker so ended up eating what he did for about two months and gained far too much so now I'm losing it all.

My parents have always encouraged me to be healthy and eat a good mix of things (ie. there's nothing wrong with having chocolate or take away as long as it's done in moderation) and because of my IBS I've never had a problem with maintaining a weight perfectly luckily. My dad is fairly over weight but he used to eat a lot of junk food late at night and didn't have the time to work it off but got me into swimming and karate. My mum tries to exercise as much as possible (with a failed quad heart bypass she can't really manage going to the gym or anything) and is definitely a healthy weight.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 pm
My family eats sort of healthy. I wasn't taught regular meals, in fact 'jump up' was a common response for "What's for dinner" "Jump up... and get it yourself."

What's more is that my mom doesn't like a lot of vegetables. My dad has an unholy relationship with cheese. And my brothers are HOGS.

However, they eat healthy by default. It's very peculiar.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 pm
Kittymutt
I am amazed on how big the sizes are there! eek I got a small drink and french fries and it was way too much food!

Only in the U.S. The portions in Canadian McDonalds are somewhat normal.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Kittymutt

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:15 pm
Crazy Cat Reincarnated
Kittymutt

Only in the U.S. The portions in Canadian McDonalds are somewhat normal.

Well, this summer I might be taking a trip to Canada. I might check out a McDonalds to compare. wink

Oh course than again, the last McDonalds I went to was in Chicago and apparently some of my friends who work at a McDonalds said that the sizes were larger than where they work. I'm not sure, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 pm
My room-mate just asked me if I'd start cooking for him if he were to buy vegetables and stuffs. The poor guy wants to eat healthily, he just doesn't have a clue...  

Tandahda
Crew

delete_my_existence

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 am
luckily I live on my own with my husband, so I get to decide what to eat,
but whenever I go to my mother-in-laws.. >.> ugh.
I feel repulsed by the unhealthyness of her food.

today there was shredded carrots as a side with dinner
so ofcourse I was thrilled and started taking it.. the next moment
she says "it's just carrots and a little bit of SUGAR"... >.> and
when she says little, it means A LOT.
I tasted it. it was really really sweet >.< didn't eat it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:02 pm
My family eats horribly, sweets, sweets, and more sweets. My mom is a good cook, but she would rather go out and buy fried chicken egh. She NEVER runs out of them, I swear... Luckily, I didn't grow up liking them too much. If I lived on my own, I would only have things i would have to cook. Healthy food, meat, veggies, fruits. I would be a lot better off on my own. I love her and all, but i cannot stand this food lifestyle they choose. And they don't even care that they are big. My mom is like "it's not good to lose so much fat, you need some fat in your body." True, but not that much...  

ol_evil_eye_Riddle_box

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games