Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Animist Views Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animist?
  Yes.
  No.
  Maybe so.
View Results

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:36 pm
I'm curious how animism would affect the way one interacts with and moves through the world on an everyday basis. If one believes that inanimate objects have souls or even awareness, I imagine that would have a notable impact on how a person does everyday things like going to a museum or shopping at a garage sale. I just don't really know what it would be.

So, here are my queries:
-Did you grow up with animism or is it something you came to on your own? (In the latter case, how?)
-What are some ways that the animist aspects of your belief system affect your day-to-day life?

I may add more questions as I think of them. Right now, I'm just trying to fill in some rather conspicuous blanks in my mind. If you have any favorite books or articles that are written on or from an animist perspective, you're welcome to recommend them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm
as a kid i treated my stuffed animals with respect. i never threw them around. when my brother would fling my pikachu doll all over the house, i would get violently upset.

if i bump into things, break things, or knock things over, i feel really, really bad. i feel like i've neglected to take care of something.

perhaps this is a gateway to animism? i have not given it enough thought to really sit down, concentrate, and feel if objects are not as lifeless as they seem. i have just always treated them like they do.

aoijea23487

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:35 pm
I apologize to any books I drop when I'm shelving in the library.

I'll answer your questions in more detail later when I can think of how this actually fits into my overall perspective. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:08 pm
Wow! There's an actual word for it? (I just found this from thread surfing smile )

I wasn't brought up with it but it was there. Books don't like it when you fold their pages! (No matter how hard you looked for your book mark!) I used to sing to my Dads' Sumb (I don't know how it's spelt but it's a really biog vehicle that's apparently french smile ) whenever she seemed like she was about to break down- a habit that has gone through into other vehicles and whenever we can get the car to star it's "come on, baby! You can do it!" I cried when my laptop crashed because it was ill. sad I thought it was going to die... well, become very, very ill anyway. I say sorry to the house whenever I slam doors and start throwing stuff. I've got one stuffed animal who comes with me whenever I'm scared... I'm seventeen, it's a really big problem. smile But Semmy (the teddys' name smile ) keeps me safe.

Just stuff like that, really. (*whispers* My parents think I'm mad)  

breuddwyd

4,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:18 pm
I grew up with animism.

I habitually apologize to my car, grumble at my computer, chatter at my books as I read them and the like. Most of the time, items in daily life aren't "awake", so it has no consequences.

Things like my computer or car however can develop attitude problems.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm
I tend to talk to pretty much all my stuff and any so called "inanimate" objects around me. Some people have commented that I'm a bit odd.  

Recursive Paradox

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:27 pm
TheDisreputableDog
I apologize to any books I drop when I'm shelving in the library.

We're supposed to respect books and writing in Hinduism, by never touching them (n purpose) with our feet.

I've learned that everyone's printers hate them. My printer hates me especially. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm
TeaDidikai
I grew up with animism.

I habitually apologize to my car, grumble at my computer, chatter at my books as I read them and the like. Most of the time, items in daily life aren't "awake", so it has no consequences.

Things like my computer or car however can develop attitude problems.

I've always done this as well, but as I said in the other thread, I tend to be pretty inconsistent. My mother is the same way.

Our attitude may be similar - books, cooking utensils, etc, are chattered at but not expected to "respond", while we're careful how we speak to our computers and I'm always begging my car to be nice to me because they seem to have personalities. It might have something to do with things like cars, computers, etc, functioning in some way that might make them appear more alive?  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 pm
Collowrath
It might have something to do with things like cars, computers, etc, functioning in some way that might make them appear more alive?
For me, it's a matter of awakening the item. My car is awake. My computer is drowsy. He is getting on in years after all.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:28 pm
EDIT *content removed and replaced* - i am thankful that during conversations with Tea i was able to put a name to something that i seemed to already be doing.

i didn't realize that i view some things in my life regularly as "alive" and either will converse with them, or smile in a genuinely friendly manner, towards them, when i see them.

since then, i've recognized a few many things that either seem to instantly connect with me (certain pens or pillows or blankets), others i will feel nothing, and some just a cursory "oh, okay" from it.

specifically, a few of my stuffed animals (i think a couple i've actually created thoughtforms that might dwell within the container), my sword (for show, but damn if she's going to let you think that for long), and my car (such a fey thing when i think about how we interact) are typical things that speak to me often. i've felt an affinity with some books, but can't tell if that's my desire for what's inside, or if it is the book.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 pm
I grew up with some amount of animism. Two of four parents are light animists, and as a child without a lot of friends, I spent an inordinate amount of time talking to things and figuring out what talked back. I went through a really weird period where I got spooked and fearful in general and deliberately didn't pay any attention. I was rude, and sometimes downright harmful at that point. Then I got better, and went back to chatting away.

Day to day, it's just something I do. It's helped me conquer fears (I used to be really afraid of bees until I got to know them), but that's a rare occasion. Mostly, it just goes on and I don't think too much about it because I'm so used to it.

Hey Tea-- are there things that you awaken and then put back to sleep? I've started thinking about that because after helping with some indie filming, I think that kind of happens on film sets. I've been on buzzing, alive sets, but after filming and you're taking everything down, the same life isn't in everything.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm
TatteredAngel
Hey Tea-- are there things that you awaken and then put back to sleep?
Nope. Awaken then kill, yes. But it's a willing sacrifice.
Quote:
I've started thinking about that because after helping with some indie filming, I think that kind of happens on film sets. I've been on buzzing, alive sets, but after filming and you're taking everything down, the same life isn't in everything.
If it isn't there, it isn't there.

In a similar situation, you can explain to things that they did a good job, and that some of them will be echoed in others experiences while others of them will be taken elsewhere and given a new vocation/will work somewhere else now or soon.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:52 pm
saint dreya
i "blame" Tea for my official realization of my typical things i do that i see now as animism.
Either take that back or pay me.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 pm
Toasty Marshmallow
as a kid i treated my stuffed animals with respect. i never threw them around. when my brother would fling my pikachu doll all over the house, i would get violently upset.

if i bump into things, break things, or knock things over, i feel really, really bad. i feel like i've neglected to take care of something.

perhaps this is a gateway to animism? i have not given it enough thought to really sit down, concentrate, and feel if objects are not as lifeless as they seem. i have just always treated them like they do.

I think I'm like this too, maybe I'm leaning towards animism and didn't know it? I've always regarded the living, regardless of human or not in higher regard than the inanimate, but some things I get an emotional attachment to, in the context of a friend or a companion, rather than just sentimental value. I'm terrible with stuffed animals, I feel like such a terrible person after I sit on one T-T, maybe in my case ADD/whatever kills my motor skills, is a bad mix with animism, I'll feel even worse when I trip, stumble, accidentally sit on, or bump into anything. :  

Adalyna

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 am
TeaDidikai
saint dreya
i "blame" Tea for my official realization of my typical things i do that i see now as animism.
Either take that back or pay me.
i would feel compensation to be appropriate. i didn't intend for a negative effect - you bringing up your experiences made me realize that i already did some of that. kinda gave me a name or action to identify within my own life.

if i offended, i apologize, but would love to compensate you because i've had much fun talking to my car and iPods.

edit: what word would be better clarification, without offense, for what i've said above? i am willing to edit the phrasing, but would still want to give you something for the wonderful experience you've opened my eyes to.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff