Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
❁ Kalevel's mentor thread ❁ no slots

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm
User Image

intro
Hello, folks. Welcome to my mentor thread. I've had the fortune to go to an art-oriented highschool in my area, which I've attended for the past three years (I graduate in May). I have -

¤ One year of Digital Arts
¤ Three years of Drawing
¤ Three years of Costume Design (focus on 2D media)
¤ Two years of Life Drawing
¤ A year and a half of Life-Drawing outside of school (over sixty hours)

other info
Over the summer I went to Columbus College of Art and Design's College Preview program, where I majored in animation and won an award for Digital Media. I am one of fifteen students accepted to the pre-illustration program at the university (public, not art school) I intend to go to.

links
Mah deviantART - ConceptART Sketchbook Thread - Art Shop
I included my art shop link because it has some art that I haven't posted elsewhere, and some of the posts there are WIPs.

timezone and being online
I'm on MST and am usually online after 2:30, but not every day, because I've got homework, art projects, etc.... But at least three times a week. I will be gone (as in, offline, on vacation) May 31st through June 19th this year.

what I'm best at (teaching)
¤ anatomy, posing, referencing from photographs, and the related tricks
¤ proportions, some design
¤ drawing from life (still life, life-drawing)
¤ preliminary stuff: thumbs, planning a piece
¤ Photoshop, the GIMP, Adobe Illustrator
¤ watercolor
¤ charcoal rendering
¤ inking with pen and ink
¤ inking digitally with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
¤ character design
¤ costume design (2D media)
¤ comics

what I'm frankly not so good at
¤ color (I'm basically stumbling around in the dark here)
¤ acrylic and oil media
¤ Corel Painter
¤ graphite rendering
¤ stylization (I'm lousy at cartooning, believe me.)
¤ realistic color/painted backdrops
¤ and so many other little things :P

level of mentee
My only criteria is that you want to learn something from me and that you take critique gracefully. If you consider yourself beginning or on the cusp of intermediate, it works.

mentees
Only two at a time right now. I think there will be some general mentoring in this thread but the majority will take place via PM
¤ Aalagon
¤ laurieneth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm
resources & tutorials

books available online
¤ Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis
¤ Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis
¤ Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis
¤ Drawing the Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis
¤ Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy

other online resources
¤ Posemaniacs.com - Thirty Second Drawing

books worth finding
¤ Gottfried Bammes - Der Nackte Mensch
¤ Andrew Loomis - Fun with a Pencil
¤ Bridgeman - The Human Machine
¤ Harold Speed - The Practice & Science of Drawing

artists you ought to look into
¤ Jean-Léon Gérôme
¤ Edward Burne-Jones
¤ Lord Frederick Leighton
¤ William Bouguereau
¤ John Singer Sargent

The One and Only Kal

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:47 pm
mentee info

how to apply
¤ you may either post the application here, or PM it to me.
¤ be fairly specific with what you want. I will treat mentoring as if I were your teacher, come up with a "lesson plan", post assignments, etc... all for you. :P

mentee application

username.
what you want to learn. Look at what I'm good at teaching, and list a couple things that interest you. (Also look at my gallery for more ideas.)
gallery or art. I need to see something you've done recently to get an idea of where your skill level is at.
where you're going. What do you want out of this, ultimately? A portfolio for art school, the skill to take Gaia commissions?
time. How long do you want to be mentored? How much time can you put into learning?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:17 pm
username. mcm_Maricrism
what you want to learn. I want to learn coloring a sketches...
gallery or art. My journal
where you're going. I want to learn so I can offer in my shop a colored arts... Please help me with that?
time. As long as I already knows how to...
Please PM me...  

Maricrism

600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:51 am
I'm full at the moment. :)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:19 am
Ok.. Thank you so much redface

Maricrism

600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 pm
When I'm back in July, I'll take on another student. Feel free to apply in the meantime, anyone who's interested.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 pm
username. jazzr
what you want to learn. I'd like to go for a more realistic style...I'm getting there I think...also help with anatomy and more complex poses, and colouring/shading techniques.
gallery or art. http://afia.deviantart.com (most of these pics are drawn with mouse but if you want to see pencil drawings I can upload them)
where you're going. I'd like to create my own comics. Failing that, I want to create one-off fantasy/scifi paintings. I have no plans to make art into a career (but if I can earn money as well that would be a nice bonus).
time. July and August, mainly. September I'm in spain and after that I start uni again so things will be busy...  

Kitsyu

laurieneth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm
username. Laurieneth
what you want to learn. I really admire your work on DA and I hope you can spare some time to pass some knowledge on to me! I would like to learn about anatomy, drawing from life, character design and inking digitally
gallery or art. http://sa55y.deviantart.com
where you're going. I do a lot of gaia commissions to motivate me to practice but I'm realizing it's only helping me to develop a style and not improve fundamentally. I want work as a freelance artist or concept artist. My dream is to work for a pc game or tcg game company!
time. I am free 5 hours a night and on weekends to draw. I don't know how long I want to be mentored smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm
It says you have mentees already, but the title says you have a slot open, so I figured I'd try out anyway...

username. the titanium spork
what you want to learn. anatomy (muscles especially), composition/planning, watercolors
gallery or art. gallery
where you're going. umm... I'm still a sophomore, but I want to be able to get into art school.
time. indefinitely would be awesome, realistically, though, a couple of months would be pretty cool as well. I'm usually on gaia a couple of hours every day.  

The Titanium Spork

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm
The Titanium Spork - My resources & tutorials section is a good way to get started. :] You could easily look through those books, draw from them, study them, etc....

That said, mentees tend to drop off, so I'm sure I'll have slots (but I do need time as well as slots. That's pretty limited right now.) Feel free to PM me with specific questions until August 16th. :)

jazzr - I'm starting up university this Fall.. and I'm taking a class right now. But my resources & tutorials section is a good place to start. Feel free to PM me with specific questions until August 16th. :)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:40 pm
Kalevel
The Titanium Spork - My resources & tutorials section is a good way to get started. :] You could easily look through those books, draw from them, study them, etc....

That said, mentees tend to drop off, so I'm sure I'll have slots (but I do need time as well as slots. That's pretty limited right now.) Feel free to PM me with specific questions until August 16th. :)

jazzr - I'm starting up university this Fall.. and I'm taking a class right now. But my resources & tutorials section is a good place to start. Feel free to PM me with specific questions until August 16th. :)

Ok thanks for replying, if anything comes up I will do smile thank you  

Kitsyu

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 pm
Made a tutorial.

Digital Painting, my method.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:19 pm
Whoo! Tutorial!
*bookmarks*  

The Titanium Spork

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Manage Your Items