Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:57 pm
User Image

What are yours?

Post some things that have inspired you in the past, or the present. Whether it be a phrase, a picture, a feeling, or anything else. Maybe you can inspire someone else.

Currently, I'm working on a story inspired, but not directly related to, a quote from Macbeth. It's just the most beautiful thing I've read in a long time, though, it is about murder.

"...Stars, hide your fires,
Let not light see my black and deep desires,
The eye wink at the hand. Yet let that be,
Which the eye fears when it is done to see."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Music, mostly.... some TV shows, games, other books, ect. I can see/read/hear something, and make an entire scenario around it...

I mean, I don't even REMEMBER how I got Drake Alexnader, the first time I really remember him coming out, was when I was always at my friends to play Soul Calibur 3... after that, I had a defined image for him, and a few others. It's just kinda evolved from there, to where my story is now... Reaper, Toku, Drake, Longshot ect.... kinda weird, but I take a lot of inspiration nowadays, from my own story xD How , I'll never know!  

Fujiwara Kazunari
Crew

Generous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

marda elliot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 pm
I find being in situations or in a place that could resemble the setting really helps me. I usually bring music along on walks and since I'm mainly a fiction writer, most of stories are set in normal towns. It really helps me. I actually just got back from a walk and I can't believe how endlessly amazed I can be at the suburbs!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:20 am
I draw inspiration from music mostly it seems, rock music tends to create action/ adventure type of stories you could say. Slower music, likes some country songs are a bit of a more peaceful tone. I'm weird like that.
But another large inspiration is books, like the Eragon series, Harry Potter, and Halo books, considering I write fantasy, sci-fi, and horror those books give me the most inspiration. But almost anything can inspire me really. It just pops out of the most random places most of the time.  

wolfs shepard

princessrp123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 pm
Just like everyone else what inspires me is music. heart I usually listen to rock/pop when I want inspiration. Also, I don't know why, but listening to the following two instrumentals has given me a lot of inspiration: River Flows in You, and Kiss the Rain. They are both by a Korean Pianist, Yiruma.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm
Aah…my inspiration springs from the most random places. One story was inspired when I read about subliminal messages and watched the Australian version of Linkin Park's "What I've Done" video in the same day. The one I'm currently working on came out of nowhere, when I was devising a future for a character I'd worked on when she was a kid. Never really know, do I?  

The-Writer-Is-In

peterlover14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:09 pm
There are many random and seemingly unrelated things that inspire me to write, like song lyrics, other stories, etc. Music often helps me get into a writing mood. Another thing that really inspires me is going to a place that looks like your setting (if you write fantasy, or in a setting that's not where you live.) For instance, last summer I went to a sand dune. I ended up writing a short story set in a desert for the next two weeks. Another really random inspiration source for me is video games, or just RPG games like D&D. The game Oblivion has inspired me a few times, because of the many different characters you can create. I start to think about their backgrounds. By the way, we're currently reading Macbeth in English class. The writing is great, but I don't enjoy the plot very much.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:56 pm
I'm very observant. The people around me like friends and family really inspire me to think up creative and original characters.

Pictures and music usually inspire me to write when I'm on a writers block. I take tons of pictures and listen to music a lot as a direct result of that.  

dare2bninjacookie

Tink_Bel

Lonely Creature

16,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:58 pm
Just random things, i'll just suddenly come up with an idea and write it down!  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm
Anything and everything. The plot bunnies ravage me constantly. I can get inspiration from anything from learning about janissaries in a history class to thinking about legends and heroes and the typical 'chosen one' to reflecting on all the twins in anime to pondering the metaphorical implications of hunger, etc etc etc.

...it's FREAKING INSANE. And it drives me crazy. And, even worse, I love it. u_u;

*sigh* I'm such a sucker for plot bunnies...  

sabaku_no_rebecca

5,200 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Signature Look 250

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm
sabaku_no_rebecca
Anything and everything. The plot bunnies ravage me constantly. I can get inspiration from anything from learning about janissaries in a history class to thinking about legends and heroes and the typical 'chosen one' to reflecting on all the twins in anime to pondering the metaphorical implications of hunger, etc etc etc.

...it's FREAKING INSANE. And it drives me crazy. And, even worse, I love it. u_u;

*sigh* I'm such a sucker for plot bunnies...

I get that too, I have to cull my plot bunnies sometimes... I painful process...  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm
Names and Colors. Weird, perhaps, but it works.
Names: I think of a name. I fit a personality to that name, and I work the story around the character's attitude, looks, and/or moods.
Colors: colors symbolize mood. The calm blue sky makes me think of summer, gets me thinking about the setting of a story. The angry red of blood makes me think of jealousy, anger, cruelty, makes me think of the antagonist.
Such things are minor details, but it's the little things that make the big picture possible.  

DreamingRoses1224

Gold Milan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:07 pm
I write short stories mostly,
my current darling is Harvey the Octopus, which I wrote as a myspace message to comfort a friend about halfway through her first year of college while she was wrapped up in a nasty breakup with her high school boyfriend.
Typically, insomnia is my muse for short stories. I'll have words in my head and I won't be able to sleep so I write to clear out a few hours of peace. It's my version of dreaming. I need to get it out of the way before I can sleep.

I've had a longer story simmering on the back burner for a while now, my muse for that is whatever philosophical essays I've read lately coupled with various dictionary entries and wikipedia articles on obscure myths and legends. With that, the story is just a cover so that I can shamelessly analyze philosophy and overly it with fascinating legends and an even more shameless mary sue with nifty superpowers. I disgust myself sometimes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:03 am
I think my first novel (still in its planning stages right now) is influenced by everything that has every happened to me, and everything I've ever read or seen. Everything changes us in some small way, and lately I've been reading into Buddhism and books like Ishmael from Daniel Quinn. I think those ideas are going to come through, whether I try to make them do so or not.

Music helps, too, since I usually listen to some while I think or work on my ideas. Lyrics and moods from Tool songs make me want to write about them, like Third Eye, Pushit, Right in Two, 10,000 Days, and Lateralus.  

Only Sissies Write

Horsket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm
Music does inspire me, but usually not the kind with lyrics. Stuff by E.S. Pothsumus, X-ray dog, and one of my faveroutes, "Come with me" by Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page. I love epic music; it usually creates a story for me.
Another thing that inspires me is, strangly, weather. I absaloutley love the fall, and at one point last year, the lighting was gorgeous and is smelt so good. I was riding through a trail and the story ideas would not stop coming. Usually it would just be a scene with this kind of setting. Names inspire me to create certain characters. I love rare names, such as Phoenix, Raine, Lance, etc.
My inspiration for the book I'm currently writing was a nickname given to a certain breed of pony, the Camargue. Their nickname is now the title of the book (no its not a fantasy), even though the book isn't entirly on them. However, they do play a big part in it.
Little sayings are goo inspiration too. I saw a poster in a store one day that said "Field of Dreams" on it. That got me thinking 'What exactley would this be, how would one get to it, what could this mean, etc...'  
Writing Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff