Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New to Paganism - Don't know where to start. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am
Hello!
Like my title says, I am new to Paganism and I don't really know where to start.
I've been looking for the recommended books at my library but I just can't seem to find any, except a few. Alas my library fee is unpaid so If I was to do that I would have to spend all day at the library, I don't have that luxury.
My college library does However have Two Scott Cunningham Books and a Raymond Buckland book, I have read Scott's books. (I probably should re-read them).
I just don't know where to start. I know the easiest way would be online research, but then since I am new I don't know how to separate the "fluffy-ness" from the non-fluffy.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 am
Paranormal Zombiiie
Hello!
Like my title says, I am new to Paganism and I don't really know where to start.
I've been looking for the recommended books at my library but I just can't seem to find any, except a few. Alas my library fee is unpaid so If I was to do that I would have to spend all day at the library, I don't have that luxury.
My college library does However have Two Scott Cunningham Books and a Raymond Buckland book, I have read Scott's books. (I probably should re-read them).
I just don't know where to start. I know the easiest way would be online research, but then since I am new I don't know how to separate the "fluffy-ness" from the non-fluffy.

welcome to the guild!

well, what aspects of Paganism are you trying to learn about? is there a specific path you feel called to, or just want to learn more about?

some of the books you might need to take with a heaping dose of salt - particularly Scott Cunningham. sadly, i would not recommend Raymond Buckland, as he does not truly cite reputable sources.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 am
Hmm, I heard Buckland is good. Ahh well.

Sadly, when I say new, I do mean new. I don't know many of the paths, and some of them I have heard of, but don't know anything about. SO I don't know what path, but I am willing to learn about them. :]  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:23 am
Then you should check out the pathways forum. You may find something in there, but remember some members belong to closed traditions.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:29 am
Paranormal Zombiiie
Hmm, I heard Buckland is good. Ahh well.

Sadly, when I say new, I do mean new. I don't know many of the paths, and some of them I have heard of, but don't know anything about. SO I don't know what path, but I am willing to learn about them. :]
definitely agree with Shearaha.

what do you know of paganism right now? what paths have you heard of?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 am
Err.
Wicca (I assume that is one, right?)
Eclectic paganism
Shamanism?

And then I know there are a few people that kind of go off and do their own thing. I also know a few people choose dieties related to their ancestors, like Celtic, Greek, Roman, Mythology things.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 pm
Wicca is one, yes. as is Eclectic Paganism. Shamanism, i'm not very schooled on it, so, i will leave someone better versed to discuss that with you.

otherwise...hmm, let me see. for a general idea, take a look at Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today by Margot Adler and Being a Pagan: Druids, Wiccans, and Witches Today by Ellen Evert Hopman, Lawrence Bond.

more specific, i'll go ahead and take this to PM.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:55 pm
Paranormal Zombiiie
I also know a few people choose dieties related to their ancestors, like Celtic, Greek, Roman, Mythology things.

Some of these are anscestor or even ethnically bound, but not all. You'll find that the Greek and Roman gods care not one inch if your are Greek or Roman.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm
maenad nuri
Paranormal Zombiiie
I also know a few people choose dieties related to their ancestors, like Celtic, Greek, Roman, Mythology things.

Some of these are anscestor or even ethnically bound, but not all. You'll find that the Greek and Roman gods care not one inch if your are Greek or Roman.

Yes, I have heard that. I am welsh / Celtic. Well, and Part native american but I don't know what tribe I am from.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm
One of the reasons Buckland isn't considered a good source (among others) is that he cites himself as a source in his books. How pompous is that, ya know?

If you happen to find a pantheon that interests you, I would recommend reading the myths of that particular pantheon 3nodding . I wouldn't rely too heavily on "Beginners Guide to -insert pantheon-" books. I mean they're good for getting a general feel for the gods and getting an idea of some of the myths...but I don't think they should be the bulk of the reading wink .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

RubyLight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm
The Germanic gods (most commonly referred to in their Norse form), don't care who you are or where you're from.

Is there a particular pantheon of gods that interests you?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:10 pm
Paranormal Zombiiie
maenad nuri
Paranormal Zombiiie

Yes, I have heard that. I am welsh / Celtic. Well, and Part native american but I don't know what tribe I am from.

Croeso! Ugh... I wish I could remember more Welsh - I was very interested in my dad's ancestry for a while. The resounding message I got from their Gods was "No thanks," though. Might have something to do with being raised by my mother's Slovak immigrant family?

That being said, Slavic mythology is rich and quite interesting. I wouldn't be in a position to say whether Slavic gods have closed themselves off - however, I think it might be difficult to quite understand the myths if you aren't at least familiar with Slavic languages.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:56 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
One of the reasons Buckland isn't considered a good source (among others) is that he cites himself as a source in his books. How pompous is that, ya know?
ninja I don't condone that bit... but I have bigger issues with him. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:09 pm
TeaDidikai
Violet Song jat Shariff
ninja I don't condone that bit... but I have bigger issues with him. sweatdrop

-nod- I know.
I figured that you could expound on those issues better than I could so I would let you have at it ^^.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 pm
Paranormal Zombiiie
Depending on what traditions you are searching for, we may be able to provide links to electronic source texts.

Vi>> I was going to limit my bitching to a single line. sweatdrop  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces