Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
"Rooting" Witchcraft Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:47 pm
Wassail!

So...I was on youtube under a witchcraft video and I saw one of the users scoffing and saying that everyone was an idiot and that what the video was doing was not witchcraft. He claimed to be a mage of some kind that was taught by witches and taught them things as well...or something along those lines.

Well...I saw him a couple times, questioned him on various aspects of witchcraft and finally I asked him what the Hel he was referring to. He called it Rooting Witchcraft.

Rooting witchcraft? Didn't sound familiar so I did some snooping and I found this site. An online school...validity coming from where? In my own experience online schools are simply not worth the time. So I did some more snooping to find out exactly what this Rooting witchcraft was.

And I discovered this led by this man.

Hm...interesting. A crack-pot man claiming to know of a tradition of witchcraft founded in the 1100's who can't decide whether or not to spell magic with a k. Historical background? None. No validity whatsoever. Also for his "private copy" of HIS book you need to find their coven wherever they were and pay $35.00. Not a lot of money of course, but it can lead to problems. Witchcraft is supposed to be free.

So, I ask you fellow scholars of the occult and otherwise, what do you think of this? I find it to be complete nonsense and they have been playing a biiiit too much D&D or something.

Angus  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 pm
Are you actually supposed to be telling people to be whole?

And why is witchcraft supposed to be free?  

Gho the Girl

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:56 pm
Gho the Girl

I think witchcraft should be free of compensation. That is why I don't agree with teens who find the need to buy a bunch of expensive equipment. It should be paid in hard work, not money.

I am going to start refraining from saying "Be whole" it is meant as a blessing, be whole in mind, body and soul always. But it seems to not carry over well so I will stop saying it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:04 pm
Angus of the Crooked Way
Gho the Girl

I think witchcraft should be free of compensation. That is why I don't agree with teens who find the need to buy a bunch of expensive equipment. It should be paid in hard work, not money.
Yes, but, why? Why can't people earn a living off of their spiritual work?
Quote:

I am going to start refraining from saying "Be whole" it is meant as a blessing, be whole in mind, body and soul always. But it seems to not carry over well so I will stop saying it.
Be careful with what greetings you give people. You don't know what they believe, or what would offend them.  

Gho the Girl

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:23 pm
Gho the Girl

Number one reason I believe you should not ask for compensation is that if the compensator ends up thinking that this is not right for them or if they disagree with the teacher's teachings said compensator can sue them for fraud. Other reasons for this might be that the compensator might be from coven x and have xx amount of degrees but coven y won't let them progress in their specific tradition which leads to compensator leaving in a huff and threatening with fraud etc.

I think this goes very well, if not more so, for psychics or people claiming to be psychic for profit who could easily be charged with fraud.

Quote:
Be careful with what greetings you give people. You don't know what they believe, or what would offend them.

Yes I have learned this quickly whilst here.

Thank you very much indeed.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:27 pm
If someone tries to sue you for magic, then you ask them, in court, to produce the written contract.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:57 pm
Angus of the Crooked Way
Gho the Girl

Number one reason I believe you should not ask for compensation is that if the compensator ends up thinking that this is not right for them or if they disagree with the teacher's teachings said compensator can sue them for fraud. Other reasons for this might be that the compensator might be from coven x and have xx amount of degrees but coven y won't let them progress in their specific tradition which leads to compensator leaving in a huff and threatening with fraud etc.

I think this goes very well, if not more so, for psychics or people claiming to be psychic for profit who could easily be charged with fraud.

I would think you could only be charged with fraud if you were actually scamming someone. You being wrong about your own spiritual abilities doesn't mean you are fraudulent.

Now if someone makes it abundantly clear that you are wrong and provides good evidence of such, then willful ignorance isn't an excuse.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 pm
Angus of the Crooked Way
Gho the Girl

Number one reason I believe you should not ask for compensation is that if the compensator ends up thinking that this is not right for them or if they disagree with the teacher's teachings said compensator can sue them for fraud.
No, no they can't, there is no "spiritual malpractice" thing. Further, if you disagree, unless they're teaching something that is historically inaccurate or rapes cultures, they haven't harmed you in any way that a court would give you compensation for.

So no.
Quote:
Other reasons for this might be that the compensator might be from coven x and have xx amount of degrees but coven y won't let them progress in their specific tradition which leads to compensator leaving in a huff and threatening with fraud etc.
Which again, will fall through unless actual fraud has been committed, and if it's merely a matter of "we don't want you in our coven" they have the law on their side. Covens aren't businesses just like churches aren't businesses, even if they recieve money for their services.
Quote:

Well, there you have possibly some sort of case, but only if the "psychic" specifically tells you to do something that ends up harming you financially, emotionally, what have you, or if they give a very specific prediction that doesn't happen, maybe. But most psychics wouldn't do that, so if you do something stupid or get harmed from their advice, they can argue that you misinterpreted what they said, in which case it would be your fault.

And even with the possible scenario of them giving a specific prediction that backfires, it's pretty unlikely you'd be able to win a fraud case.
Quote:

Quote:

Yes I have learned this quickly whilst here.

Thank you very much indeed.
Welcome.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 pm
Angus of the Crooked Way
Wassail!

So...I was on youtube under a witchcraft video and I saw one of the users scoffing and saying that everyone was an idiot and that what the video was doing was not witchcraft. He claimed to be a mage of some kind that was taught by witches and taught them things as well...or something along those lines.

Well...I saw him a couple times, questioned him on various aspects of witchcraft and finally I asked him what the Hel he was referring to. He called it Rooting Witchcraft.

Rooting witchcraft? Didn't sound familiar so I did some snooping and I found this site. An online school...validity coming from where? In my own experience online schools are simply not worth the time. So I did some more snooping to find out exactly what this Rooting witchcraft was.
Did anyone else notice that the sigil on the site looked like a slot machine?
Quote:

And I discovered this led by this man.
Huh. What a crappy appeal to emotion.

Quote:

Hm...interesting. A crack-pot man claiming to know of a tradition of witchcraft founded in the 1100's who can't decide whether or not to spell magic with a k. Historical background? None. No validity whatsoever. Also for his "private copy" of HIS book you need to find their coven wherever they were and pay $35.00. Not a lot of money of course, but it can lead to problems. Witchcraft is supposed to be free.
Supposed to be? According to whom?

Wica is free. But last I checked, they weren't the beginning and end of witchcraft.

Quote:
So, I ask you fellow scholars of the occult and otherwise, what do you think of this? I find it to be complete nonsense and they have been playing a biiiit too much D&D or something.

Angus
Looks like they are pulling the same thing Gardner did, only they did it in an era when people were better educated and thus can see the flaws in it.

Angus of the Crooked Way
I think witchcraft should be free of compensation.
This comes across as selfish entitlement and greed. While I'm not a witch, I think the idea that you should deny someone who is investing their time and energy in teaching others their due is absurd.

Quote:
Why are such things a good thing independent of context?

Angus of the Crooked Way

Number one reason I believe you should not ask for compensation is that if the compensator ends up thinking that this is not right for them or if they disagree with the teacher's teachings said compensator can sue them for fraud.
The Law Suit issue has been addressed.
That said- they're being paid for their time and effort. Not for the empirical value of their position.
Quote:

Other reasons for this might be that the compensator might be from coven x and have xx amount of degrees but coven y won't let them progress in their specific tradition which leads to compensator leaving in a huff and threatening with fraud etc.
They can threaten all they want. In a free market, people have the right to refuse service. This includes advancement.
Quote:

If you know the laws of your local government and don't break them, you'll be fine. Sometimes this means posting "For Entertainment Only", sometimes it means outlining a ministry.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:49 pm
Angus of the Crooked Way
Gho the Girl

It's one thing to want too d*** much money on a religon. You know, like those Christian ministers who's sermons have constant guilt trips about how, "you're not giving enough for your Lord!" Meanwhile, they drive THREE $100,000 vehicles, three story house, their own crappy little set of stores attached to their church (I call them "Jesus Malls")! You know, some idiot who's just milking all of us for money. Pagans have that too! Lewelyn publishing is just one example, but I'm speaking more of Conmen that I've met in person.

Its another thing altogether to expect a leader in your faith to pay for everything for you.

You know, I've seen a lot of organizations that find a happy medium, that lets each person carry their own weight, but not too much else. I can even remember a couple of them!

What does your gut tell you about this Agnus?  

Movin on Up

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 pm
[quote="Movin on Up"Pagans have that too! Lewelyn publishing is just one example, but I'm speaking more of Conmen that I've met in person. Ummm... authors have to eat too.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:11 am
TeaDidikai
Movin on Up
Pagans have that too! Lewelyn publishing is just one example, but I'm speaking more of Conmen that I've met in person.
Ummm... authors have to eat too.
Yes, but they don't have to bastardize religions, pretending to be the real thing.

Since when is Wicca a traditional Irish religion, as Edain McCoy says in her books? When an author is flat out wrong, a publishing company won't publish it or correct it to cover their arses from liability. Yet, their BS slips by.  

Movin on Up

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 am
Movin on Up
Yes, but they don't have to bastardize religions, pretending to be the real thing.
And not all of them do. I'm taking issue with your generalization.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:07 pm
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Movin on Up
Pagans have that too! Lewelyn publishing is just one example, but I'm speaking more of Conmen that I've met in person.

Since when is Wicca a traditional Irish religion, as Edain McCoy says in her books? When an author is flat out wrong, a publishing company won't publish it or correct it to cover their arses from liability. Yet, their BS slips by.

how do you sort the credible authors from the frauds?  

DemoniaFairy

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm
DemoniaFairy
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Movin on Up

how do you sort the credible authors from the frauds?

I would say a good way to detect good stuff from crap is to see what kind of works the author uses in the writing of their book.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff