Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
- Digital Art - Arachnophiles! -[NUDE BEACH]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alo?
Hola.
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 11

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:00 pm
*Awkward throat clear* Hhii... I'm Kumi and I'm... a digital painter.[/Artists Anonymous Intro]

Currently I have a piece of work I'd like to get further with than I currently have, so I'm going to try my luck at having people point out danger spots before I botch it up too much. As for my art history, I'm mainly self-taught though I've dabbled in a few books and countless online tutorials. A class would do me well, but I can't find the time or place. Traditional is not something I use often aside from doodles, but I've digitally painted weekly for the most part for probably the past ten or so years.

My current piece is...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Digital art: Corel Painter IX
Primary goals: Male, movement. Secondary: Background, tattoos (once finished with the basics), distortions (future).
Materials: Potential Background reference.

My observations are...
Something's wrong with his right side: arm currently too small compared to the other, and that hip's certainly not going to jut out like that. Facial complexion and body's will need to be matched and paled, blue shine to black hair is not working out the way I'd intended. Not sure how to connect the hand to our left appropriately to the rest of his body.

Anyway, any pointers on those matters and more are appreciated. Always looking to improve, and I don't particularly find sniping offensive either. I have iterative saves if anyone thinks it would help to understand my process better. But for now, you have a 270% view which is what I've been working with. I won't be smoothing over until after the details are meshed out. Have at it!

Edited March 16th '09 for over-rating.
Edited August 3rd '09 for pests and breasts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 am
My only advice is reference. His head looks fine, but I'm wondering if he's supposed to have some kind of club arm and his skin reminds me of the Rock guy from Fantastic Four.

(Also, please read the forum guide sticky and be sure you understand how the forum works. These are sketchbooks, so it's not going to go like Picture post. You don't have to put a warning in your title. We're artists here. As long as it's not rule breaking sexual content, nudity is not an issue. It's expected with figure work.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm
Thankye kindly (albeit belatedly). Head's a keeper then, and I'm still in the process of highlighting up the body as you can tell. Not to mention some disproportions (ignore right side all together for the moment). As my access to Painter is extremely limited at the moment, that picture is indefinitely on hold though I do plan on returning to it in a couple months. Arm shall likely get slimmed down (or the rest of him beefed up) in the future.

You guys'll probably be seeing more sketches like so (not sized down yet). Properly attaching head to neck is an ever reoccuring problem for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:52 pm
I have that problem too sometimes. It helps just take a week or so sketching necks and shoulders and looking at an anatomy book to see how they attach.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm
While one arm's a little bumpy, I think most of her anatomy turned out alright aside from her abs. The jean shorts are a disaster, and I've been told it needs more volume.

If anyone could give a red-line on the abs or anything else that looks off, that'd be great.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 pm
Alright, not quite a beach. Critique away!

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:06 pm
On the first pencil sketch/drawing, she looks as though she's walking on a balance beam or other similarly narrow object. It that's the idea, then it's conveyed well.

What I think needs practice are the hands. Granted, I understand that they're not as important as the rest of the picture, but they caught my eye almost straightaway. I think they could use a little more defining; my advice would be to do a few hand studies using the hand you don't use to draw. Or grab a friend and have them pose their hand(s). The only advice I can give regarding female abs is that they are generally softer and less conspicuous than a male's abs, unless she works out and has some obvious tone. I'm not very well-versed in humans, so do forgive me. ^^;

On the one with the arachnid, I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out exactly what the arachnid is. It looks like a spider, but I'm not very sure. Its thorax and abdomen more closely resemble a beetle or scorpion. If I may ask, what arachnid were you aiming for?
On the girl, what caught my attention again were the hands. Or at least one of them; the one resting on the bug. Again, it's just a matter of defining the fingers more clearly.

Other than that, I envy your ability to draw people and draw them pretty well. Keep up the good work, and keep practicing. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:55 pm
Eizoryu - I meant to answer this a long, long time ago, and thank you as well. Apologies for the delay, thought I had. So thank you doubly.

As for the insect, it's actually a fictional beetle of the Ultima Online variety. This one was supposed to be a chocolate brown in color, with a crack riddling its back.

As for my latest, it's just lineart at the moment. Based on the D&D physiology of an elf/drow (longer, almond eyes, slim as bujeebus, etc.). Redlines are welcome.

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 pm
User Image

Well, I am happy with the contrast, s'a little bolder than I've tended in the past.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:59 pm
Good evening ladies and gents. Been a while!

The latest work in progress (click for process):

User Image

Good to be back.

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 pm
I return yet again.

WIP IT GOOD.

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff