Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Dance (give me a cooler thread name) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you dance?
  *caramelldansen*
  *shimmy*
  *macarena*
  *stumble stumble trip fall*
View Results

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:20 pm
So.

A few people suggested a thread about dancing (any kind) after I had mentioned belly dance.

To make this thread relevant to the guild's interests, who else here dances? Do you incorporate it into your practices (it can be a good way to raise energy, for example)?

Also, non-religious discussion and questions are welcome here too ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
So.

A few people suggested a thread about dancing (any kind) after I had mentioned belly dance.

To make this thread relevant to the guild's interests, who else here dances? Do you incorporate it into your practices (it can be a good way to raise energy, for example)?

Also, non-religious discussion and questions are welcome here too ^_^
Used to do ballet. But the movements are so reserved, and I like being very expressive. I use what I've been trained in and free it up so to speak. I usually do it to show my joy, sometimes as a part of prayer/moving meditation, depends on the music.  

Gho the Girl

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm
Gho the Girl
Used to do ballet. But the movements are so reserved, and I like being very expressive. I use what I've been trained in and free it up so to speak. I usually do it to show my joy, sometimes as a part of prayer/moving meditation, depends on the music.

Oh cool! I wanted to learn ballet when I was little.
I think it's possible to be expressive while being reserved...but that might just be me sweatdrop . Or maybe I'm thinking of something different.
I'm glad that you've retained and are re-working what you learned in ballet.

I hadn't thought to use dance as a part of meditation. It makes sense though, now that I consider it xd  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl

I think it's possible to be expressive while being reserved...but that might just be me sweatdrop . Or maybe I'm thinking of something different.

I hadn't thought to use dance as a part of meditation. It makes sense though, now that I consider it xd
Most meditative dance when I do it is very simple, slow, and doesn't challenge my balance so much. I use "Rise" a compilation track of Yoko Ono and DJ Spooky.  

Gho the Girl

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 pm
Gho the Girl
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl

Most meditative dance when I do it is very simple, slow, and doesn't challenge my balance so much. I use "Rise" a compilation track of Yoko Ono and DJ Spooky.

This might be a dumb question, but where do you usually do your moving meditation? Is there a cleared space in your house where you can do this? Or do you usually have to take it outside?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:13 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl

This might be a dumb question, but where do you usually do your moving meditation? Is there a cleared space in your house where you can do this? Or do you usually have to take it outside?
When I was in college, I did it in my dorm room. Here, we have a yard, and creaky floors, so I do it outside. Mother and Father are nearly everywhere in some form or another. I did a dance in the snow a couple days after I came back, it was night and my parents were ranting about their conspiracy hobby, and it was really hexing me, so I went out to clear my head. Ended up dancing barefoot.  

Gho the Girl

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 pm
Gho the Girl
Violet Song jat Shariff

When I was in college, I did it in my dorm room. Here, we have a yard, and creaky floors, so I do it outside. Mother and Father are nearly everywhere in some form or another. I did a dance in the snow a couple days after I came back, it was night and my parents were ranting about their conspiracy hobby, and it was really hexing me, so I went out to clear my head. Ended up dancing barefoot.

Oh wow eek . Barefoot??
I'll have to go read your Pathways thread because I was confused for a second when you mentioned Mother and Father being everywhere xd

How long do you dance for, usually? Or do you just keep going until you've achieved what you want?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl
Violet Song jat Shariff

Oh wow eek . Barefoot??
Myar. Snow is from Father. After the first few minutes, your feet actually don't hurt anymore. Also, I has calusses.
Quote:

I'll have to go read your Pathways thread because I was confused for a second when you mentioned Mother and Father being everywhere xd
Yarly. It's not done, but it does explain Mother and Father.
Quote:

How long do you dance for, usually? Or do you just keep going until you've achieved what you want?
Depends. Sometimes I dance til the song is over, or until I feel "done." Sort of like stopping eating when I no longer hunger.  

Gho the Girl

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:02 pm
Gho the Girl
Myar. Snow is from Father. After the first few minutes, your feet actually don't hurt anymore. Also, I has calusses.

Ah I see ^_^

Quote:

It's well done so far.
I look forward to seeing what books you put on your reading list!

Quote:
Depends. Sometimes I dance til the song is over, or until I feel "done." Sort of like stopping eating when I no longer hunger.

Makes sense 3nodding .

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:40 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Gho the Girl

Ah I see ^_^
It actually hurts most when you go inside, the feet feel all prickly for a minute or two.
Quote:

Quote:

It's well done so far.
I look forward to seeing what books you put on your reading list!
To be honest, they were mostly fluff books, and the only one I have that is reputable is "Totem Magic" by Yasmine Galenorn, who has less to do directly with my faith but more about where I learned how to prepare a proper ritual.
Quote:

Quote:

Makes sense 3nodding .

Thanks!
Yepperoonies.  

Gho the Girl

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:53 pm
I used to do jazz, years ago. I do remember moves and the like. This weekend, I did a whole bunch of the exercises we used to do before doing the classes and it felt good.

I've never really done anything ritual dance wise, unless you count Navaratri and Dandiya-Raas.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm
Gho the Girl
It actually hurts most when you go inside, the feet feel all prickly for a minute or two.

Understandable.
Blood-flow is returning to the toes and such 3nodding
Quote:
To be honest, they were mostly fluff books, and the only one I have that is reputable is "Totem Magic" by Yasmine Galenorn, who has less to do directly with my faith but more about where I learned how to prepare a proper ritual.

I've heard of that author before I think.
Does she have a website with a couple of "free" books on it?
Quote:
Yepperoonies.

blaugh

*pokes Gho's Pathways thread*

STD
I used to do jazz, years ago. I do remember moves and the like. This weekend, I did a whole bunch of the exercises we used to do before doing the classes and it felt good.

I've never really done anything ritual dance wise, unless you count Navaratri and Dandiya-Raas.

What are the Navaratri and Dandiya-Raas? sweatdrop .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:07 pm
Very, very occasionally, I dance as a way to center myself. Always alone. Some training in ballet and belly dancing proved to me that I really have no skill for it, so dancing for me is incredibly personal; with even one observer, I feel like the biggest dork in dorktown.

That said, the few times I've gone that route have been wonderful. The times when I have been too emotionally overwrought for anything else to bring me back to a stable state, dancing has been sort of a ritual action of collecting myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 pm
I just dance. I like to kinda bellydance.

I used to do ballet and tap-dancing when I was little.

But to get my a** up from my chair...I actually listen to some hip hop or rap. If I can make my butt do what they do in the songs, then I'm doing something right. XD

I like being energetic and spontaneous, but with structure.

I love anything have to do with moving your ankles a lot. I'm pretty flighty when I try to practice something. I used to pick up on dance styles very fast.  

Falhalterra

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

STD

What are the Navaratri and Dandiya-Raas? sweatdrop .

Hinduism. Navaratri is a festival that's held around October. You perform garbaa, a sor of ritual dance, where to the music of prayer songs (bhajans), people dance around an altar in circles. Dandiya-raas is where you basically dance to the rhythm, clacking dandiyas (like these drum stick kind of things) with a group.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff