Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Suicide Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yelimi Kughdi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 am
Ok so I was wondering what the Bible says about suicide, now I know what it says about murder, but it never really mentions suicide, or even assisted suicide.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am
THIS link has a pretty good list of Biblical figures who either killed themselves, or asked someone to help them do it. Almost none of them have a negative slant.

And yet...
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10).
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28.

So no, the Bible doesn't ever give explicit instructions not to kill yourself, or even to assist someone else in it. But it DOES say that no matter how bad things get, God is there for you, is giving you this trial to make you a better person, and has a bright future planned. You are HIS, and throwing away yourself is a tad disrespectful.  

Xandris

Yelimi Kughdi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 pm
I agree with what you are saying, however why then when I pray to God for healing does He not heal me from wanting to kill myself. I even sometimes pray "God, if You are God, if You can heal, then please heal me..."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:20 pm
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, (James 1:2-7).

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12: 7-10).

I know it's hard. I've been there myself. I don't know what exactly this part of your life is supposed to teach you, but teach you it will, and you'll find it important in the next stages of your walk, your entire life. Perhaps somewhere down the line you'll be a great witness to someone who feels like all hope has been lost. Perhaps after this 'thorn' has been removed, you'll feel a greater freedom, a greater strength to do things you didn't think you could. God has his reasons for allowing you to feel the way that you do, and it all fits into his plan. I know that doesn't make it less sucky in the NOW, and if you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me or any of the crew. xd  

Xandris

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:51 pm
Ditto to that. I those thoughts, too. And now that I look back on it, I'm glad I didn't. And all those things that made me want to? They seem so minor and trivial to me now. I might be hard now, it's very hard to see past one's current suffering, but there is always something better later on down the line, even if it's something one has to reach out and take. And while, the Bible isn't very specific on the topic, I do see suicide as taking one's life into their own hands, rather than trusting God.

Just hang in there, I'm sure things will get better. You'll find a way to make it through this. 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm
I oppose suicide for personal reasons.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm
Jkopps
I agree with what you are saying, however why then when I pray to God for healing does He not heal me from wanting to kill myself. I even sometimes pray "God, if You are God, if You can heal, then please heal me..."

You are a human, and these are human issues. God helps us along, but he doesn't outright do things for us. He's not going to simply heal you. He also didn't give those desires to you. It's all part of your very human condition (that condition is being human).

Consider this, though.... Here is a bit of my story. I'm an arrogant guy. I'm impulsive, I'm pigheaded. And I'll tell you why.

My mother was a drug abuser. My father worked two jobs, and was overstressed, and become verbally abusive at times. He was a good man gone bad by a really bad situation. My mother's problem got so bad that she ended up letting dealers hold my sister as collateral while she found money for the rest of what she already put up her nose. We grew up poor, even went without heat and electricity for a while. I wanted to die. You bet I wanted to die. I was depressed.

My problems didn't end there. Besides being a fat guy and physically deformed, school wasn't great. Plus, I was put on pills. Lots of them. To the point where I literally can't remember ages 10-16.

I never blamed God for any of this. Well, briefly, but I don't now. But that's the work of man. To quote the movie "Oh God", our hero asks God why he allows so much suffering in this world, he says "I allow it? No, YOU allow it."

But here's what I'm trying to hammer down for you. It's worth it. The pain, the suffering, the depression, all that junk. I live every day knowing that I got through it. That I got through tough crap in the past, and I can get through it in the future. If you keep fighting, all you do is get stronger, and better. You can rise above your surroundings. If you have knowledge of who or what is wrong, then guess what? You can rise above it. God has given us strength to do so.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm
Jkopps
God works in annoyingly frustrating, yet unexpectedly wonderful ways. when you pray for healing, God will hear it, but he may not answer in a way you might expect.

there was a time i wanted to kill myself more than anything in the world, and all i could do was hate myself for it.

when i got into middle school, i was innocent, and i had really frizzy hair. well, by the time seventh grade was half way through (the school was only 7th and 8th) almost the entire school hated me for no reason other than my hair. i got called names, i got beaten, and i had no friends in a school of 400. i found friends outside my school who introduced me to perscription drugs that made me feel good and allowed me to escape my pain for a while. however, when i came off a high, i always felt worse than before. all i could think about was offing myself to make it stop. during that time, it felt like God wasn't real. my home life sucks too, so i had no safe place.

well, since i'm here today, you can assume that i got through it. everything you're feeling is temporary, and one day God will heal you and give you the way out you need.

just remember that God will never make you carry more than you can bear.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 pm
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Jkopps
God works in annoyingly frustrating, yet unexpectedly wonderful ways. when you pray for healing, God will hear it, but he may not answer in a way you might expect.

there was a time i wanted to kill myself more than anything in the world, and all i could do was hate myself for it.

when i got into middle school, i was innocent, and i had really frizzy hair. well, by the time seventh grade was half way through (the school was only 7th and 8th) almost the entire school hated me for no reason other than my hair. i got called names, i got beaten, and i had no friends in a school of 400. i found friends outside my school who introduced me to perscription drugs that made me feel good and allowed me to escape my pain for a while. however, when i came off a high, i always felt worse than before. all i could think about was offing myself to make it stop. during that time, it felt like God wasn't real. my home life sucks too, so i had no safe place.

well, since i'm here today, you can assume that i got through it. everything you're feeling is temporary, and one day God will heal you and give you the way out you need.

So you rock around and think that
Youre the toughest
In the world, the whole wide world
But youre streets away from where
It gets the roughest
You aint been there

Keep that in mind. Your fight is not over, nor is his, nor is mine.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 pm
Matt Pniewski
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Jkopps

So you rock around and think that
Youre the toughest
In the world, the whole wide world
But youre streets away from where
It gets the roughest
You aint been there

Keep that in mind. Your fight is not over, nor is his, nor is mine.
so true. i struggle still sometimes, i know, but i'm in a place where i know i can handle it now, mainly because God has blessed me with not only more friends than i'd ever had before, but a wonderful boyfriend as well.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:27 am
Personally, I consider suicide the greatest blasphemy. Life is the only gift that we can truly call our own, and to reject it is folly.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 am
Galad Damodred
Personally, I consider suicide the greatest blasphemy. Life is the only gift that we can truly call our own, and to reject it is folly.

Personally.  

Priestley

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm
Galad Damodred

Well, it is kinda like returning a really elaborate, expensive birthday gift, and not getting anything in return for it.......  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 pm
Galad Damodred
but does the bible not say that all sin is the same? so, by that statement, a guy who tells a white lie then gets hit by a truck is in the same boat as the girl who threw herself off a building.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 am
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Personally.

Yes, personally.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas