Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
reita art. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

reita do urden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:06 am

ok so I have been drawing the same pose of years and they are always just standing so this is my frist attempt at some kinda movement
so tell me what you like/don't like about it.

User Image

this is kairn she is a new breed of vampire and she is supost to be running from other vapires that are trying to catch her.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:10 am

User Image

I'll just mention some simple stuff. If you want to express motion, you don't want to have things that are at rest. You want to push things so it looks like they're heading into a next position.

See how you have her arm pretty much resting straight down? Well, if you were climbing up something, you'd be pulling yourself. The best way to show that you're dragging yourself is to have the contact point (in this case, her hand) still in the place she placed it, while her body (the mass that's being pulled) has moved past it. To go forward, she's got to move her hand, and you anticipate that she will because her body is past it. Same with her leg that's on the beam. If the knee and foot line up, she's at rest. If the knee is past the foot, she's moving to pull her body up to balance over the foot and you anticipate the next position.

It also helps to push motion a bit by not having anything stay flat. Her arm in your drawing is flat out. If you raise the hand above the shoulder, there is a sense of her actually doing something.

I think you did very well. I think you'll do better if you use refrence and act things out. (You obviously have no idea what a crossbow looks like or how it's held. That's why we use reference. We can't be expected to know everything, you know?)

Errol McGillivray
Captain

reita do urden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

wow that was really detailed thank you
I never thought about useing a refrence
any way you gave me a lot of good info here so I'll try it out
thanks again
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:28 am

ok here is another pic that I have done I know that her shoulders are to short. but I am not good with shading so if any one has any tips it would be helpful. it's for my watercolor class so it is going to be turned into color so tips?

User Image

reita do urden

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Her shoulders are very narrow. Shoulders should be atleast as wide as her head, depending on age and build. Also since it's a 3-quarter, the character's left shoulder would appear alittle wider, so it comes out at the viewer.

Also, learn face proportions (drawing from life would help). There's alot of negative space in her chin and cheeks. Her whole lower face infact. Drawing her features larger would help. Again, examine regular proportions and you will understand what the lines that form the face mean. Her eyes are high on her head, eliminating much-needed forhead room, and there isn't enough head space between her hairline and the top of her scalp. Looking at a human skull would help. There are distinct shapes and proportions to our heads that have to be addressed, even if you aren't realistically rendering.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

reita do urden
ok here is another pic that I have done I know that her shoulders are to short. but I am not good with shading so if any one has any tips it would be helpful. it's for my watercolor class so it is going to be turned into color so tips?

User Image

It looks flat, especially the face, because your hightlights and shadow's are inconsistant with the light source. It seems like you kind of understand the prinicple but not completely. Study anatomy to make sure you give body parts structure (like the breast area for another example).

You want certain parts of the face to look as if they were slightly rounded and protruding more, such as the cheeks. Therefore you wouldn't shade the entire cheek the way you have and simply leave the area around the mouth highlighted. Make sure the lip area has structure by using shadows and highlights there too. Once you understand facial structure this will all become clear.

You might want to practice hair also. Give it depth by using the same prinicples of light and shadow.

mangachan

reita do urden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

ok thanks for the tips
I'll take a look at that
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Your shading looks very... random on the cheek, for lack of any other way to put it. More is not always merrier, which looks to be the approach on your latest piece. However, the necklace came out excellent, as did the shoulders and arm pieces. I'd suggest sticking to one light source, as it seems like you're all over the place with them. If you take more time to fine tune, I think it would show. Since I'm going to guess you've gotten your grade by now, how'd that go?

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

reita do urden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 am

Kumi Caelos
Your shading looks very... random on the cheek, for lack of any other way to put it. More is not always merrier, which looks to be the approach on your latest piece. However, the necklace came out excellent, as did the shoulders and arm pieces. I'd suggest sticking to one light source, as it seems like you're all over the place with them. If you take more time to fine tune, I think it would show. Since I'm going to guess you've gotten your grade by now, how'd that go?

I got good reviews on it butI haven't started painting it yet. I still have some fine tuneing to go. thanks for your input
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 am

ok heres another picture that I did and I need some one to look at it and tell me if there is any thing I need to fix.

User Image

reita do urden

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:33 pm

What's the skin colored thing behind her?

Just a general thing to keep in mind: everything casts shadows, before you start coloring, pick a light source (direction your light is coming from) and try to keep that in mind while you color so that everything remains consistent, and think of objects in 3D.

Her legs under her skirt(?) should be more shadowed than her arms, the back part of the skirt should be darker than the part in front of her legs, she should be casting shadows on the ground, etc. It might be hard to keep track of lighting the entire time, but eventually it'll become natural.

I think that's the biggest 'fix' I would like to see for your art. Keep up the good work biggrin ~ hope to see more!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:33 am

T i r a e l

What's the skin colored thing behind her?

Just a general thing to keep in mind: everything casts shadows, before you start coloring, pick a light source (direction your light is coming from) and try to keep that in mind while you color so that everything remains consistent, and think of objects in 3D.

Her legs under her skirt(?) should be more shadowed than her arms, the back part of the skirt should be darker than the part in front of her legs, she should be casting shadows on the ground, etc. It might be hard to keep track of lighting the entire time, but eventually it'll become natural.

I think that's the biggest 'fix' I would like to see for your art. Keep up the good work biggrin ~ hope to see more!

the skin color thing was supost to be a sandy color rale
yea I really suck at shadding (in this one I did try the light source....but I guess I failed.)

reita do urden

Aalagon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:33 pm

User Image

Yeah I'm going to agree with everyone here. THe biggest thing is to work on your shadows. If you look at the pic you will see that the light is most likely coming from the upper right corner. The shadow will always be on the oppisite side, and in this case the lower left. If you look at her right arm(left side of the pic), you see that there is no shadow on it. There needs to be a shadow there.

What I do if I get confused while I'm drawing is get myself in somewhat the position of the figure in the picture, and look where the shadows are on my skin. So for you I would say stand with an overhead light over and infront of yourself. Pay attention to the lights and darks that show up.

Pay attention to the face and how the shadow lays on it. You know your light is coming from the oppisite direction than she is facing. So, maybe think about darkening the outside of her face a little on the left side of the pic.

Your blacks don't always have to be solid black. Throw a touch of dark gray for mid tones and light gray for highlights. This will give your picture a little more depth.

Another thing, anytime you have organic shapes(balls, apples, folds, people, anything that is round or has curves) there is always a area of reflected light. I very roughly drew on her leg where that reflected light is. Light always reflects off of other things and hists the object you are looking at. The reflected light doesn't have to be a huge spot, or as bright as I made it, but it has to be there on every organic shape. This will help the viewer believe that she is a real human; although, she is a cartoon.

Sorry if that's a lot to throw on.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:29 am

not at all I love very detailed hints.
ok I;ll try what you said on the next one I do ^.^

reita do urden

Aalagon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:51 am

Just remembered this.

I was looking through this guild and I saw this link: http://saetje.deviantart.com/journal/10466792/

It has a lot of stock photos of people and other things, you should try to draw some of these things.

By the way I like your character's costumes.
Just keep practicing, and everything will work out. biggrin
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces