Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Just what is a witch anyway? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm
Through out history, mythology, ect the term witch is scattered about.
My question is: what makes a witch a witch?
The dictionary definition is not helpful at all. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:20 pm
To be honest, I have no clue.

Probably bad considering I'm a regular in the witchcraft thread in the GD.  

Recursive Paradox

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm
I doesn't help that popular usage of the term shifts over time, but here's my understanding of it. Take it for what it's worth; about two cents.

In mythology and ancient history the term "witch" is generally used to refer to those casting evil spells or otherwise working magic against individuals or the community. Positive magic and superstitous practices seem to be generally accepted as part of the culture and there isn't really to be a separate term for that.

There was a gradual shift by the european cultures that denounced all magic as being from the devil and evil, so anyone practicing magic was a witch.

Then you have the modern movement to "reclaim"* the term, accepting the newer definition of witch being someone who practices magic with the understanding that not all magic is evil.

*I put this in quotations because this has always puzzled me, how can you reclaim a word that didn't have that particular usage to begin with?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 pm
Hmm. . .

Perhaps this wasn't as stupid a question as I thought it was.
I see where the word evolution would make things difficult.
By today's standards: what makes a witch a witch?  

RubyLight

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:35 pm
A witch is someone who practices witchcraft. 3nodding Before someone babbles on about how useless my point is- I have to say, the only thing that witches have in common is that they practice witchcraft. There is no unified theology, there is no unified mythology as to their nature historically and no consensus as to the nature of modern witches- the summation as to what makes someone a witch is that they practice a style of magic considered to be witchcraft.
The problem with that generalization is that it cues up the unwashed masses to denounce everything from prayer to Ceremonial Magic as witchcraft- when this is clearly not the case. So we compound linguistic origins with the meaning- since other traditions have their own names for those who practice magical arts and the arts themselves. We then add the root of the practice in the time the term was coined to get something that amounts to Western European Folk Magic, largely stemming from the popular culture of the peoples as opposed to the traditions of various cults and priesthoods and we begin to have an inkling of what should be considered witchcraft. Extend it to the people who practice such things and you have a witch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 am
Would witchcraft be limited to just performing spell work? Or is the definition more complicated than that?  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 am
Well, before we disscuss what a witch is, I think it would be beneficial to establish whether we are talking about modern witches or not.
I think the definition has changed somewhat.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:21 pm
We are talking about modern witches.

Quote:
A witch is someone who practices witchcraft. 3nodding

Alright let's expand the question. What is witchcraft?  

RubyLight

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm
It's sort of hard to define, because I think there are a lot of things that fall into the category of witchcraft, and one doesn't have to do them all to be considered a witch. Not only that but many of the practices aren't necessarily witchcraft in and of themselves, but when grouped with the other things would be seen as such.

To me a witch is someone who in one way or another practices some sort of magic, meaning that they (through spells, prayer, incantations, etc...) try to influence outside events. They make charms, talisman, amulets, potions, do divination (of some sort), they may or may not have a spiritual side to their practices (either by having a deep connection to the elements, spirits, or deities...or a combination of them).

I also think that an exact definition will depend on cultural perspectives.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm
The cultural element is the most confusing to me. Anybody who practices magic is a good definition. I just didn't know if it was really that simple or not.  

RubyLight

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:24 pm
It's not quite that simple, though. The main problem is that not everyone who practices magic is a witch, so you sort of have to add the qualifying statement to go along with it or it doesn't work.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:52 pm
RubyLight
We are talking about modern witches.

Quote:
A witch is someone who practices witchcraft. 3nodding

Alright let's expand the question. What is witchcraft?

User Image  

TeaDidikai

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:38 am
TeaDidikai

User Image

That about sums it up. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 am
Considering that most of the dictionary definitions I've seen say that "witchcraft is what witches do" (or some variation) and the definition that you gave for a witch is "someone that practices witchcraft" is it any wonder there might be some confusion. gonk

I think she is looking to see what each of us considers to be included in the practice of witchcraft (which from what I've seen in other threads where the topic has been raised, has varied), or at least that is how I took it (I could be wrong)  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:29 am
too2sweet
Considering that most of the dictionary definitions I've seen say that "witchcraft is what witches do" (or some variation) and the definition that you gave for a witch is "someone that practices witchcraft" is it any wonder there might be some confusion. gonk
If she had properly quoted the post- we wouldn't be here.

But that's neither here nor there.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces