Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Maus art

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LadyMausCogworth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi.

Name:steampunkmaus
Age surprised ld enough for college
Art skill level:Life time of art runs in the family. 3 years at AICA LA santa monica(1 more year till graduation YAY). 1 year SMC for photography.
Goal(?): Character Modeler/rigger UT scriptor
Why I'm here: Even though I wont be drawing much in my work I still want to be good for my own enjoyment and side works.

smile

All my art examples here

Nice to meet you hope we can be friends and that we can help eachother get better. smile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:51 pm

I actually need this art C&C. I am not that satisfiyed with the coloring. Coloring not the colors. If someone can tell me how I would use textures that'd be great I see them used but I don't really get how to make the work for non-3d stuff. ^_^;; PS noob.

Thats the art. It's a art trade for a lovely person here on GAIA. And so far thats as good as I can do. Help.

User Image

LadyMausCogworth

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 am

What are you going for with the colour? If you're looking for a more cartoon look, I usually choose a less saturated version of the color I want as well as a darker, less saturated version. Then I go by places where the object is kind of blocking light on itself with the less saturated color. And then I do the shadows with the darker one.

I think the shirt looks pretty good. The skirt is very flat though and could use some light/dark to define it. Keep in mind that cloths will have shapes of shade and light. Not just lines. It's not how folding cloth works. A great way to see that is to hook two corners of a sheet on something and look at how it drapes. Or just throw it over anything and see how the shapes go.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:05 am

Errol McGillivray
What are you going for with the colour? If you're looking for a more cartoon look, I usually choose a less saturated version of the color I want as well as a darker, less saturated version. Then I go by places where the object is kind of blocking light on itself with the less saturated color. And then I do the shadows with the darker one.

I think the shirt looks pretty good. The skirt is very flat though and could use some light/dark to define it. Keep in mind that cloths will have shapes of shade and light. Not just lines. It's not how folding cloth works. A great way to see that is to hook two corners of a sheet on something and look at how it drapes. Or just throw it over anything and see how the shapes go.

thank you! I will keep that in mind as I go back to this. It is cell style shading I was trying to go for. hum....Will add more darks and lights. Thanks again. smile

LadyMausCogworth

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 am

Just remember, think in shapes, not lines.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games