I LOVE RINGO. RAWRAARARARAWRR!
View Results

Beccaecka
Crew

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am
"The original 'fifth Beatle' Pete Best has spoken out about his bitter heartbreak at being dropped by The Fab Four just before they hit the big time ahead of his new album.

Pete, 67, is a world-famous music legend, not for what he managed to achieve - but for what he missed out on for the sake of a few weeks.

He was the drummer famously sacked by The Beatles in 1962, in the month before they shot into the stratosphere. He was left on the launch pad, sticks in hand.

It's rock history now, but suddenly the Pete versus Ringo debate is firing again after Sir Paul McCartney popped up on a US radio show last week to offer his version of the event.

Macca said: "Ringo was in another band, and we just fell in love with his drumming, that's the truth.

"One night he sat in for Pete, and we just went... wow!"

Pete recalled the thousands of nights spent agonising over why he was suddenly dropped without explanation and against a huge backlash from their Liverpool home-grown fans at the Cavern.

He said: "Maybe somebody just thought Ringo sounded better than Pete, maybe it was as simple as that.

"What really hurt then, and still hurts now, is that no one had the courage or the decency to tell me what they were plotting.

"It would have been nice if just once, in these last 47 years, Sir Paul had picked up a phone to make that call and explain it as that, just as one old mate to another."

It could be argued that on the other hand, he could have picked up his own phone and called Sir Paul.

"No way," he says. "We have never spoken a word since that day, and what would we talk about now? He's a superstar, a world icon, he doesn't lead the everyday life that ordinary people do, so what would we have in common?

"I have no regrets. You can lead a rich life without millions in the bank and mansions in the country."

..."

The rest is here.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 am
I think he should just get over it. It's been so many years and I know obviously that it's been haunting him for his whole life but I say just quit talking about it. We've heard the story so many times before and hearing it once more won't change what happened. I think Ringo fit in with the band much better and I remember reading somewhere that they also liked Ringo better because Pete got all of the girls haha. whee  

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

HistoryWak
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm
Grey Gardens
I think he should just get over it. It's been so many years and I know obviously that it's been haunting him for his whole life but I say just quit talking about it. We've heard the story so many times before and hearing it once more won't change what happened. I think Ringo fit in with the band much better and I remember reading somewhere that they also liked Ringo better because Pete got all of the girls haha. whee

lol

anyway, I think it would be good if they at least cleared things up with each other. Could you imagine what it must feel like knowing how close you were to having that sort of fame and fortune?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:29 pm
I'm sure he would have taken it pretty hard and been hurt and everything, and I know it would have sucked hugely for that to happen, but really, it's time to move on. I would feel worse for him if he didn't keep reminding everyone of what we all know already. I know the others - specifically John and Paul - were assholes about the whole thing, since they didn't even tell him themselves. But again, we all know that. It's time for him to let it go. Ringo was obviously a better fit for the group.  

practicallyzen

THE SPACE lNVADER

7,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm
I cried reading that...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm
summary of article:

PETE BEST: "WAH"
EVERYBODY ELSE: "shut up"