Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sakura's art of many mediums

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blond_Sakura

Mega Member

8,700 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 pm
Hello! Welcome to my thread. It's a little empty right now, but soon it'll be bursting at the edges. You'll find everything here from watercolour to 'traditional' manga, to (when I find the pic) realism. Please take the time to give me professional critque, and I will return the favour. (some time or another) I'll try to put the most recent pictures first.
Thank you and enjoy. :3

User Image
most recent work. this is my novel's main character, Nigredo. finished in photoshop.

User Image
i finished this around xmas/new year's. made with pencil crayons, watercolour pencils and paint.

User Image
This is a scratchart of a character of mine named Dran. (he's a dragon at the moment). Did this last summer.

User Image
lineart and colouring done in photoshop. i'm not happy with the way it turned out...he looks orange XD

User Image
a commission. i think it's okay. the client liked it, so that's all that matters. :3

User Image
I did this for a friend for her xmas present. people tell me he looks evil...

User Image
i need some help with this one...i know the neck and the eye is 'off' but i'm not sure how to fix it.

User Image
this is from a novella in process called 'Project Tsubesa' i tried to fix the nose, messed up, and restarted. i still haven't fixed it XD

User Image
this is really old, but i thought i'd like to post it.

User Image
drawn from a beta. (it's not my character or pose, sorry)

That's it for now. I'm scanning a few more and working on a commision at the moment.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 am

Hello and welcome to the guild! XD this thread already looks like it's bursting to the edges with art!

Ok I'll just say a few general things and if you want I can give more detailed critique on individual pieces in the future~

Lighting - right now some of your shading looks arbitrary - Before you start coloring, pick a general direction you want your light to come from - you can get more complicated with multiple lightsources if you want but it's easier to just stick with one at first... XD;; Then keep the direction of your light in mind while you color - taking into consideration the shadows that everything will cast on other things because of that light. Sometimes it helps to draw direction lines to remind yourself~ Remember to stay consistent!

Next... it's probably been said over and over and over again, but draw from life! Even if you just do it as practice once in a while, it definitely helps to draw real people, furniture, still lifes, whatever~

p.s. I'm loving the bird picture :3~

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Blond_Sakura

Mega Member

8,700 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:19 pm
Watercolours....yay! :3

Painted from photos.

User Image
Thunderstorm--finished a year ago

User Image
The Angry Storm-finished in January

User Image
Sunshine on Leith--finished with above  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:00 pm
Wow. You've got a lot of art, and you're very skilled with your traditionals. For the time being, I'm going to focus on the first piece.
Pros:
Good pencil work. Taking some risks with the hairdo with the elaborate braids and beads. Where you put the highlights on the face, they work very well.
Cons:
The text clashes heavily with the rest of the piece, especially since it throws a shadow and he doesn't, as well as it being solid. The color was applied messily and leaks into everything else too much (though it did turn out well on the earrings). His neck is too thick and long, but the shadows turned out well on it despite. His pupils are also tiny: they should probably be about three times the size that they currently are.

As for the watercolors you recently put up, if you have the reference pictures available it would help a lot to post them as well so we know what you're aiming for. Anyway, hope this is of some help.  

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

Blond_Sakura

Mega Member

8,700 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 pm
I haven't posted in a while XD I haven't really made anything worthy of posting in a long time, but since it's the holiday season, here's some art I gave away to a user:
User Image

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff