Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Vocabulary. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the_underworks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 pm
On a scale of one to ten, how much do you value vocabulary?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm
With ten being the highest?

8-9, it depends on how you look at it, but I feel its quite important.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm
Well being able to use it properly and knowing when to use it is pretty important too...

Around: 8.5  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:41 am
Vocabulary is very important to me 8.5/10  

Shadowed Intent

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 am
Well, look at my username. Then again, a big vocabulary is hard to work into conversation.

Employing prolix diction, and being loquacious about it, oftentimes alienates listeners who do not appreciate such sesquipedalian speech being exploited for the self-gratification of the speaker. Oftentimes it is best expunged.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 pm
Being natively french i probably should work on my french. It can best be described as horrible and hick.  

the_underworks

L Kook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm
8 or 9/10 depending on when I need to use vocabulary, but it is pretty important.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Well, look at my username. Then again, a big vocabulary is hard to work into conversation.

Employing prolix diction, and being loquacious about it, oftentimes alienates listeners who do not appreciate such sesquipedalian speech being exploited for the self-gratification of the speaker. Oftentimes it is best expunged.

Heheh, that was brilliant!  

Shadowed Intent

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 pm
L Kook
8 or 9/10 depending on when I need to use vocabulary, but it is pretty important.
When don't you need to use vocabulary? you use it everyday that you open you're mouth or write down something. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:49 am
7. I enjoy learning new words, but I don't use them often, unless I'm debating or writing an essay.  

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 am
Digital Malevolence
L Kook
When don't you need to use vocabulary? you use it everyday that you open you're mouth or write down something. neutral
I think he means the type of vocabulary you need might be different in different situations. I mean, how often are you going to use obsequious or stentorian in your daily conversations with your friends? You might know words but not get a chance to use them.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:55 pm
7/10. Depends on if you're writing or speaking.

Two entirely different sets of rules apply. Speech should be fluid, so lengthy words, unless you know how to implement them and do so without stutter, are usually unnecessary.

But with prose, synonyms and little differences in syntax often get points across much easier. Certain words, for instance, carry certain associations and connotations with them that help clarify the intent of your idea. Higher usage of advanced vocabulary in writing helps make up for the lack of verbal and visual cues that you'd normally have in face-to-face speech.

On a random note, Wraith Lord: your sig is incorrect. My internet IS anonymous. It didn't bounce off my IP. ^_^

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:30 pm
8/10.
i like learning new words to be able to use to express myself in writing, though I don't really find it that nessesary in conversation. I don't need to know a million super-long words to get my point across. But i try to put some "new" words into my vocabulary at times.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:08 pm
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
L Kook
I think he means the type of vocabulary you need might be different in different situations. I mean, how often are you going to use obsequious or stentorian in your daily conversations with your friends? You might know words but not get a chance to use them.
Maybe...  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Oterys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:05 am
I honestly place a lot of value on vocabulary whether it's written or spoken. I know it's not nice, but I really can't stand people who use words and they have no idea what they mean. Or worse, words that come out in everyday conversation like hence, or arse, miscreant or jargon. But my biggest offendees are those who think that foul language enhances a sentence...it really doesn't, now does it?

I also write alot, so I'm always looking for better words...fun words to say. Of course this is where the greater transgression on the vocabulary takes place. There are those who seem to think they are good at prose or poetry or whatever you'll call it, and they keep repeating the same word...it's like they dont know how to find another word to describe the color blue.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff