Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Path/Religion Naming Conventions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm
It occurs to me that while it doesn't seem hard to name one's path, I'm also speaking from experience.

There may be a good number of people who aren't sure where to look in attempting to figure out if a path name is suitable or whether it steps on someone else's toes (a nice way to say "rapes a culture")

There may also be a good number of people who don't even realize that naming a path requires seeking out the possible complications of usage and how to figure out a name that suits that particular path.

So I was figuring, we could have this thread as a place to sort of brainstorm effective ways to make this process work at its best and help people avoid violating other cultures by accident when they work on their own paths and attempt to name it and the things within it.

Research tips, some common mistakes made by people seeking a path name, useful search resources and maybe some naming conventions that are open use and could be useful in articulating how one's path works.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:42 pm
I guess I'll put forward my process first?

One of the things I've found is that the primary name of your path really benefits from either having significance to the metaphysics of the path or connect to its philosophy.

I named Etherism the way I did because I found an arbitrary name (The Ether) that fit the overall sum total of the spiritual and material energy of the universe and isn't really being used for anything, nor is it from a closed culture originally.

I did a good chunk of research, using search engines and religion related forums. I subjected my path and its name to critique, attack and debate all over a wide number of areas. And I made the necessary edits to it from that critique, attack and debate.

It was originally the name of a failed scientific theory regarding what outer space was made of, I felt that made it more fitting.

But none of this means I couldn't have formulated a name based on the philosophy of my path, with the three pillars of growth, wisdom and power (I'm just not sure how I would have done that right now >.>)

Some of the naming conventions within my path are a little unusual, like the Aspects and Dual Reflectivism. But they are reasonably intuitive and that really helps with describing what I belief and how I exercise that belief to others.  

Recursive Paradox

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 pm
I think part of the issue with people (especially of the younger, flufflier crowd) in naming their own paths is when it's more about a need for drama and a cool sound than about accuracy. The research is an important part, but only if they want to do it, and I think that's where it becomes hard.

My naming process was more a process of elimination, as I learned what I was not. I settled into saying Syncretic as a means of calling a spade a spade. The first thing I learned I was not was Christian. That was very early on, shortly after I stopped going to (and misinterpreting) Sunday school. I learned that I was not a Taoist, which was something of a disappointment at the time. Then I had that wonderful and thankfully brief journey of learning I was not a Wiccan. I tried on Eclectic Pagan for size, and it was okay, only it ignored all the less pagan aspects of me, and gave people the wrong idea.

Then in my Indo-European linguistics class, I learned about syncretism, and while I saw how that could also be a label for someone doing things very wrong, I also saw a chance to put a name to my attempt to bring in practice and culture from multiple sources.

It's not a very glamorous name, but you know... it does the job, and gives me something that I can explain.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 pm
I poke the universe.

Sometimes, the universe pokes back.

I dig it.

Not sure what to call it. I guess I might be taoist, but I need to do more research before I can conclusively claim myself as such.  

Maze

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:24 pm
TatteredAngel

It's not a very glamorous name, but you know... it does the job, and gives me something that I can explain.

Well, if someone is simply making a name to be glamorous, they're probably doing it wrong.

I should put that into the first post. o_O

Maze
I poke the universe.

I dig it.

Not sure what to call it. I guess I might be taoist, but I need to do more research before I can conclusively claim myself as such.

Pokeism? >.>  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 pm
Recursive Paradox
Maze
I poke the universe.

I dig it.

Pokeism? >.>

Too close to Pokémon for me to not burst out in random giggles at the mere thought. XD

Suppose I can call it 'Quantum Physics', but I'm still reading up on that, myself, so I can't promise it's that either. XD  

Maze

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:14 pm
Maze
Recursive Paradox
Maze
I poke the universe.

I dig it.

Pokeism? >.>

Too close to Pokémon for me to not burst out in random giggles at the mere thought. XD

Suppose I can call it 'Quantum Physics', but I'm still reading up on that, myself, so I can't promise it's that either. XD

Prodism? >.>  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 am
Recursive Paradox
Maze
Recursive Paradox
Maze
I poke the universe.

I dig it.

Pokeism? >.>

Prodism? >.>

*snerks* It's an idea, but does it really need a name? I get the impression that anyone can do this if they were but so inclined, and it's not like we call riding a bike a religion either.  

Maze

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am
Maze
Recursive Paradox
Maze
Recursive Paradox
Maze
I poke the universe.

I dig it.

Pokeism? >.>

Prodism? >.>

*snerks* It's an idea, but does it really need a name? I get the impression that anyone can do this if they were but so inclined, and it's not like we call riding a bike a religion either.

Unless you had rituals and a philosophy based around riding bikes and people started showing interest in following that setup.

>.>

Bicyclism? Hehehehe. Too much fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 am
Recursive Paradox
Maze

Unless you had rituals and a philosophy based around riding bikes and people started showing interest in following that setup.

>.>

Bicyclism? Hehehehe. Too much fun.

XD I suppose I know some fellow Dutch folk who ride their bikes religiously..

I have one or two rituals, but they're just variations upon the 'poke' mechanism, and what philosophy I have changes through time, but does include the 'poke' mechanism as a valid part of my life.

But don't really have a name for it, no. XD Not needed one yet, so. :3  

Maze

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:10 pm
Fishism?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:13 pm
CuAnnan
Fishism?

Now I find myself craving eel. crying  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 pm
Names are neat. Names are fun. But until your cult has a following larger enough that it is statistically likely that a random stranger may be familiar with it, I find that identifying concepts are far more useful.

If I practice Fishism, but no one has ever heard of Fishism, me telling folks I practice Fishism isn't going to do a whole lot when it comes to communication- which is one facet of what words are about. The other facet, the power of the word, is still there, even if it is an obscure name.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 pm
TeaDidikai
Names are neat. Names are fun. But until your cult has a following larger enough that it is statistically likely that a random stranger may be familiar with it, I find that identifying concepts are far more useful.

True.

There are still some issues with articulating some of the concepts within my path. I'm going to have to work on things a bit to get the wordings right.  

Recursive Paradox

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff