7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:57 am
I got the following email today:

January 23, 2009

Dear Andrea,

President Obama has lifted a ban on federal funding for international groups that promote or perform abortions, reversing a policy of his predecessor, George W. Bush.
Obama's actions mean that hundreds of millions of your tax dollars will go to help groups like Planned Parenthood perform abortions around the world.

His actions came one day after the 36th anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion in all 50 states.

Please take the action suggested below. It will not cause Obama to reverse his decision, but it will send a notice to him that unborn babies are human and deserve the same rights as the born.

Does anyone know anything about this? Where can I find out if this is true or not? It's from the AFA, so the source is slightly biased.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm
Ohh.. my mom talked to me about something like that actually.
I believe (if I remember well) that a priest sent her an e-mail to ask her to pray with him and many others so that law would not go through.. and to talk to our parish so we would all join them in that prayer..

I don't have the details about that, but I can ask her..  

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm
Yeah, I'm just wondering if this is related to FOCA or is something entirely different.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:50 pm
Looks like it's true.

This concerns me greatly. I'll pray with you guys that it doesn't pass. Even though I live in Canada, I don't discriminate when it comes to an innocent baby's life.

God bless.  

Romjacks

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 pm
May I refuse to pay Taxes? I refuse to let my money go to something that kills millions of Innocent babies.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Does anyone know anything about this? Where can I find out if this is true or not? It's from the AFA, so the source is slightly biased.

The link offered by Spike Zantren accurately describes this, though this e-mail does not. This portion of the e-mail is illogical:

Quote:
President Obama has lifted a ban on federal funding for international groups that promote or perform abortions, reversing a policy of his predecessor, George W. Bush.
Obama's actions mean that hundreds of millions of your tax dollars will go to help groups like Planned Parenthood perform abortions around the world.

The first sentence is true. The second sentence does not follow from it. There was a ban that prevented federal funding for these groups. That ban is no longer in effect. This means money can be given to these groups, but nothing in this action means "hundreds of millions of your tax dollars" will be given to them. The possibility has been created, but no funding has actually been promised.

Incidentally, I do not think Planned Parenthood is an international group, in which case it would not be affected.

Paranormal Zombiiie
May I refuse to pay Taxes? I refuse to let my money go to something that kills millions of Innocent babies.

Of course you can refuse to pay taxes. It is illegal, but you can do it. It would also be irrational, as abortion does not kill babies, but you can do it.

Then again, with everyone saying they will pray so it does not get passed, I suppose irrationality is in order. Barack Obama made an executive order. It is not a law that gets passed; it is a presidential order. If you are going to oppose something, you should really try understanding what it is.  

zz1000zz
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm
By the way, abortion is not a sin.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:57 am
zz1000zz

Thou shall not kill.
Killing little babies.
Killing children that have a right to live.

You know what makes me mad.
Someone gets pregnant.
Then they go out and kill the innocent party!
It's not the babies fault you are pregnant!
Grr. D<  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:36 am
zz1000zz

i am offended the bible says thou shalt not murder abortion is the murder of a inocent child!

i will pray that this does not get through it is a horrible thing to even think of.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 am
I think this quote is one of my favorite Pro-Life quotes...

"Abortion kills not only unborn children; it destroys constitutional order and the common good, which is assured only when the life of every human being is legally protected. Aggressively pro-abortion policies, legislation and executive orders will permanently alienate tens of millions of Americans, and would be seen by many as an attack on the free exercise of their religion."
~ Cardinal Francis George, Statement at the USCCB Fall Assembly, November 12, 2008 ~  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:25 pm
Okay okay, this isn't a discussion about whether or not abortion is a sin. I'm sure we have a thread for it somewhere- if not, someone make it and we can duke it out there. I was just curious about the email I got, what it means for my tax dollars (because, like Para, I was tempted to stop paying taxes if it meant revoking my unintended support of abortion), and how it affects things like Planned Parenthood, etc. Anyone with more knowledge in this arena, or who has access to someone with more knowledge in this arena, should totally pitch forth their ideas and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Aren't we jumping the gun?

These are organizations that are not based around Abortion, sometimes. There are public health clinics that have been denied funding because they perform abortion. And it's a shame, because they also help those in desperate need. Then there are organizations like "Planned Parenthood" that have done wonders promoting safe sex and abortion alternatives, but because they see abortion as a possibility they are demonized.

Yes, let's talk about what is more directly affected: Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood is not just about Abortions. They give every legal alternative to pregnant teenagers, while promoting safe sex education. As long as abortion is legal, they will have that as an option. They also have mandatory counselling for those seeking abortion. They will also help find mothers to care for children somebody feels they must give up, and they will also provide the necessary information for those who which to put a child up for adoption.

And I say this because a dear friend of mine was adopted THROUGH Planned Parenthood. I would not have known her any other way.  

Matt Pniewski

BluePoisons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm
I was gonna say something but, like you said, let's not turn this into a debate about whether abortion is a sin or not.
But I think it's kinda wrong, if Obama passes this bill, we have to pay taxes that goes towards abortion. I don't think that's right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
bluewisher
I was gonna say something but, like you said, let's not turn this into a debate about whether abortion is a sin or not.
But I think it's kinda wrong, if Obama passes this bill, we have to pay taxes that goes towards abortion. I don't think that's right.

Yeah, but think about the GOOD things they go to. I'm not going to condemn this because we are still helping people! We are going to help kids find homes, help unexpected mothers learn they have more options than JUST abortion. This is the only way TO get rid of abortion once and for all anyway.... Through unbiased education provided by organizations the give you ALL the options.

I don't want to debate abortion either. Because I'll have both sides wanting to kill me. But let's be reasonable: If we have better education and make people more aware of their options, isn't that a good thing? Won't that end up making the amount of abortions go down?

Do you realize that it's gone UP under these rules? And in the Clinton administration, abortion went down BECAUSE these groups had government backing?

I think the numbers do speak for themselves.  

Matt Pniewski

Romjacks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 pm
It's a 100% fact that every single politician who has voted to legalize abortion has been born.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff