Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Using God's name in Vain Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BluePoisons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:26 pm
Isn't it true not to use your God's name in vain? When people "swear to God" does that mean they're using His name in vain?
That's what I always thought. So I came up with "I swear not to God", is that basically the same thing?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm
You misunderstand. That Commandment was originally to preserve the sacredness of God's Name. The Ineffable Name, the Tetragrammaton. It was never spoken by the Jews. You know... YHWH, also known as Yahweh or Jehovah. It was so holy that it was a blasphemy to say it, so they termed the names "Eloah" (Holy One) and Adonai (Lord). 3nodding

I think YHWH means "that which is".  

Galad Aglaron

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm
YHWY is actually translated it I am.
I believe that at least.
Except YHWY is a special version of I am. :/
When Moses asked who God was, God pretty much said: "I am who I am."
So unless you are using YHWY or I AM WHO I AM, or something close as a swear words.

Buut, on top of that.
Jesus did tell people not to swear on ANYTHING. He said let your Yes be a Yes, and a No be a No.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:20 am
I was always under the impression that it meant not to claim to be a follower of God if you don't really mean it or live a life that reflects it.  

Combat Chuckles

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 am
To do anything in vain means to do it without purpose or response. To study in vain is to study purposely, to study, even though you will not get a better grade on your test by doing so. To take God's name in vain is the same thing- to use His name without purpose or reason. When we call on God, it's alot like calling Him on the phone. If we're running around saying "oh my God oh my God", God is waiting for us to finish the prayer, since "oh my God" is the same as calling out His name (or calling Him on the phone, if we're continuing with the metaphor). The only time we should use God's name is if we are praying or discussing Him.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:36 pm
I never really thought about it like that. ^^ I learned something new today XD  

BluePoisons

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:59 pm
Gods name is holly i think he meant dont go off and sin and then say that God told you to do it or using witchcraft and claiming he helped you acomplish it he does not help you with witchcraft and he most certantly doesnt tell you to sin

(i also agree with fushigi,s post)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:40 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
To do anything in vain means to do it without purpose or response. To study in vain is to study purposely, to study, even though you will not get a better grade on your test by doing so. To take God's name in vain is the same thing- to use His name without purpose or reason. When we call on God, it's alot like calling Him on the phone. If we're running around saying "oh my God oh my God", God is waiting for us to finish the prayer, since "oh my God" is the same as calling out His name (or calling Him on the phone, if we're continuing with the metaphor). The only time we should use God's name is if we are praying or discussing Him.

Oh wow! That is a great way to put that!! <3
I actually agree with you on that now that I know a little more. I forgot that when we say something like that, we are calling on God.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm
We do walk around going "OMG!" and we don't realize that God is on the other side going "Yes? What do you need?" How annoying would it be if someone was constantly calling your name and every time you stopped to see what was going on, they went "Nothing, never mind"?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 am
I'd like to think those who have turned away from Jehovah are actually appealing to some other god when they say "OMG", be it themselves or whatever other gods/idols they have, possibly Satan.  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 am
Priestley
I'd like to think those who have turned away from Jehovah are actually appealing to some other god when they say "OMG", be it themselves or whatever other gods/idols they have, possibly Satan.

Or perhaps it is simply an exclamation that was once spoken devoutly, but has become so hackneyed that it has passed into meaninglessness.

It's like when people say "good heavens" or "dear Lord" or "Jesus Christ". Figure of speech. You don't need to believe in any kind of god while saying it. Of course, there are those who are literally calling out to the Christian God when they use His name.

And Jehovah is a mistransliteration. It really should be Yahweh. Although saying his name is a blasphemy, although most Christians cannot even begin to grasp how little I care about blasphemy. I say "yehiy 'or" every time I light a candle, after all. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:22 am
Priestley

OMG has always translated as "oh my gosh" since I subscribe to the belief that one should never say "oh my God" unless they plan on finishing the prayer. -shrug- It's a bit funny (though probably annoying to some) if, whenever you hear someone say "oh my God" you reply with "mine too ..." I used to do that, before I realized that it probably wasn't as amusing to them as it was to me. xd  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:09 pm
So I'm in a world religions class right now and we just finished a book called "Dynamics in Faith." Wonderful book, I encourage everyone to go read it.

Anyway, the book was talking about symbols and the nature of symbols in religion, and then said that, in essance to word "God" is only a symbol for God. It's not his real name, it's just a word point towards something bigger than itself that we cannot express otherwise.

So that made me wonder, how does this effect things like taking God's name in vain? If it's just a symbol, how does that differ the way we should use the word God?

I came to the conclusion that it's still a holy symbol, and we should treat it as such, but it was just such a neat idea. In general though, I don't personally take the Lord's name in vain. Instead I say goofy sounding this like "Goodness gracious" of the one that makes everyone laugh "Holy mother of [insert whatever is frusterating me here]."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:38 pm
I don't think God cares what you say about him.
He does not have an ego like us so he cannot be offended!
What need would God have to defened Himself.
He is ultimate truth and love unconditional, which needs no defense and is endless and for everyone.  

fromthatshow

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:45 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley

Or perhaps it is simply an exclamation that was once spoken devoutly, but has become so hackneyed that it has passed into meaninglessness.

The very fact that it is meaningless to the people who use it pretty much shows how little they care for those to whom/which they are appealing, which is clearly not a characteristic of the Spirit.

Galad Damodred
It's like when people say "good heavens" or "dear Lord" or "Jesus Christ". Figure of speech. You don't need to believe in any kind of god while saying it. Of course, there are those who are literally calling out to the Christian God when they use His name.

Well, it should be a call, an appeal to Him. Of course you don't have to believe in any God to use it. Not believing just makes it easier to use in vain. I've actually never heard any real-life examples of people commonly using anything other names/things in vain like this. It's a phenomenon centred solely around blasphemy of the Judeo-Christian God.

Galad Damodred
And Jehovah is a mistransliteration. It really should be Yahweh. Although saying his name is a blasphemy, although most Christians cannot even begin to grasp how little I care about blasphemy. I say "yehiy 'or" every time I light a candle, after all. rofl

You try transliterating the Hebrew into Greek and see what you get. I was using the Greek form because it flowed better, not out of ignorance. I only care about blasphemy when it's used negatively. What does "yehiy 'or" mean?  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff