Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
May's Doodles; they stink

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

*sigh* I wish I could draw better...
  Stop sobbing, you big baby! Practice! Geez!
  Yeah, I wish you could too *shields eyes*
  Psh, whatever. Your gonna stink anyways.
View Results

virgofiregirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:29 pm

I need critiquing. Please be nice, I get a really weird feeling when people say things like, Is that big black thing on the face supposed to be the eye? Cause I got one like that and, and... Yeah. I dunno. So, just constructive stuffs!
Heres a few I recently did (I don't really like 'em, *sigh*);
User Image
User Image
User Image
please critique nice-ly...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Do you draw through?
I think you could benefit greatly by the technique. It will help your clothing and hair and all that sit more believably.
Basically draw your character "nude" and hairless. Get the body worked out first. Then draw the clothing over top of that and the hair over the skull. This keeps everything properly proportioned and properly placed.
You have some cute ideas.

This next bit I'm going to say because you'll hear it eventually. Try some life drawing. What this means is observe things/people around you and try drawing what you see rather than what you think you see. You'd be surprised at how much this will transfer over to your anime/mange style. If you're a book person, a great book to help teach you to observe for drawing is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more from you. smile

Wispered

virgofiregirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:09 pm

thanks for the advice! i tried that with this pic, and i like how the left leg come out! i need to work on hands, tho... xD
User Image
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Awesome, the clothing is already looking more believable.

Wispered

virgofiregirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 am

Ah, I got some advice from a friend's cousin (I know, random much, huh?), and re-did a doodle. So, here it is:
User Image
Next, I'll do a draw-through, and see how it comes out.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Alot of your problems stem from anatomical errors. Study the human head and skull Even though you are drawing anime, the facial features should bear a general resemblance to realistic human form. The eyes look too big and are disproportionate to the head. Also, eyes are spheres inside of a socket and should have a ball-like feel to them.

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Danaidae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm

You're drawing style is really pretty cute! Some general advice that will help you in the long run:

Avoid drawing the "one eye covered by bangs" or "hands behind the back," etc. like the plague. Most people will only end up thinking that it's a cop-out and you'll likely end up stuck drawing the same things over and over again for a while. Getting used to drawing both eyes, different eye shapes, hand gestures and poses really helps you learn to draw more dynamic images in the future.

Brushing up on some anatomy and life drawing will further polish your skills. :]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Danaidae
You're drawing style is really pretty cute! Some general advice that will help you in the long run:

Avoid drawing the "one eye covered by bangs" or "hands behind the back," etc. like the plague. Most people will only end up thinking that it's a cop-out and you'll likely end up stuck drawing the same things over and over again for a while. Getting used to drawing both eyes, different eye shapes, hand gestures and poses really helps you learn to draw more dynamic images in the future.

Brushing up on some anatomy and life drawing will further polish your skills. :]

Yeah, I've been working on the hands and eyes. I just usually end up erasing and re-drawing them again and again, because the second eye has to be EXACTLY the same as the first.
And with the hands, I always get the size wrong, in proportion to the arm, but looking at my own arm/hand helps.
3nodding thanks for the advice!

virgofiregirl

virgofiregirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 pm

here's a doodle i JUST did;
User Image
so, i like the hands, but give me feedback on the eyes? also, my stupid scanner cut off the feet.
thank you! 4laugh
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:16 am

okay, here's a little chibi thing i doodled, thought it was cute...
User Image
feedback? nice feedback? please? xD thanks.

virgofiregirl

saralee 20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:38 pm

Do you like to read and look all over the internet.

To me it seems u might need help with human's anatomy, soo . . .

There is a lot of help with anatomy problems and how to draw from them. my advice is (if u got no money, like me half the time) to go to ur nearest library and with a notebook go and read and practice from them. If for any reason u don't like to go to the library (library-phobic or other) then put in google "Human anatomy art" and for starters see these pages:
http://fineart.sk/index.php?s=16&cat=14

fineart anatomy
biggrin
maybe u might have heard of this site, if not here is something of a preview:
artist hospital
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I can already see improvement. But really, just practice drawing real people...faces, clothes, hands everything. You will be amazed at how much it helps. If you haven't already, check out posemaniacs.com.

mangachan

oxellebellxo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:01 pm

omg ur chibi is so cute! X]
all i have to say is put a bit more detail into the eyes and itll look perfect biggrin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm living with false hope

And my eyes just want to see a ray of light

I'm gonna find it in my fairy tale...

For anatomy practice, try Posemaniacs.com .

It's a pose website. They have a feature where it puts up a random pose every 30 seconds for gesture drawing. They say if you do that for 10 minutes every day, you'll improve.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 am

There are two things that I want you to start to consider when you draw. It will make an improvement in your work.

First, balance.
User Image

For now, make an upside down T so you can check that leaning. Head is over center of feet if the body is centered.

Like so.

User Image

As the weight shifts, the standing leg (the one your weight is on) is under your head. This keeps you from falling over.

Like so.

User Image

Try to draw think of the space that the person is taking up. Rather than a square, draw a cube. Start off doing very basic shapes. And when you feel you understand those, put the same shapes together to make other things. It makes things that look harder, like people, much easier.

User Image

Put the two concepts together and you get the following.
Simple
applications
of those two very basic rules.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas