Nintendo Crescent Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GeorgeStow
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 am
This is based off the ever-popular board game Mornington Crescent, except with names of Video Games.
The Rules of the Original Mornington Crescent:
Quote:
The objective was to give the appearance of a game of skill and strategy, with complex and long-winded rules and strategies, in parody of games and sports in which similarly circuitous systems have evolved. In general, Humphrey Lyttelton (Humph) would describe special rules to apply to that session. For example, 'Trumpington's Variations', or 'Tudor Court Rules'. This meant that almost every episode of Mornington Crescent introduced a variant.

The game has many variations; in one of them, a player whose movement is blocked is considered to be "in Nid" and is forced to remain in place for the next three moves. This tends to block the other players, putting them into Nid as well and causing a roadblock. In one episode of "I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue", every player ended up in Nid and the rule had to be suspended so that the game could continue.

Over time the destinations expanded beyond the Underground. ISIHAC was recorded around the United Kingdom, and the game was occasionally modified accordingly; such cases included versions in Slough and Leeds, as well as one in Scotland played during the Edinburgh Fringe arts festival. In one game, recorded in Luton, moves ranged as far as the Place de l'Étoile in Paris, Nevsky Prospekt in St. Petersburg, and Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC. However, a move to Luton High Street was ruled invalid for being too remote. An attempt has been made to expand the territory to Manhattan (via Heathrow and JFK), but there is some disagreement as to whether or not the Manhattan subway system is suited to the game.

Lyttelton joked that the game predated the London Underground. 'Tudor Court Rules' were described as "A version of the game formerly adopted by Henry VIII and played by Shakespeare. At this time, the underground was far smaller than at present and so the playing area also was more restricted, primarily due to plague."

Those who asked for the rules were told "NF Stovold’s Mornington Crescent: Rules and Origins" was out of print. They were also advised that "your local bookshop might have a copy of The Little Book of Mornington Crescent by Tim, Graeme, Barry and Humph."

We will be playing with Nid, except it shall be an open game, so anyone can play.

I'll start with Pokemon Red.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:02 am
Well, I don't understand the rules. Following your link, I guess I'm not supposed to. So, I'll go with something relatively safe.

Pokemon Gold  

Zapatorf
Crew

GeorgeStow
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 am
I'll take the side route there and go to Super Mario Bros 2.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm
I've got a little clue how it works,so I'll go forward a good bit with New Super Mario Bros.  

Fairy Alchemist 96

Sayd MK X

6,450 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 pm
I'll take the left route and go to Fire emblem radiant dawn  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm
I'm going to go back to the future with Super Mario Galaxy.  

Zapatorf
Crew

GeorgeStow
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:12 am
I think that means that Fairy's in nid.
I'll help get her out by moving to Ocarina of Time.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:39 am
Him? It may have taken you a while to notice, but I'm 99.9% sure Fairy's a girl. XD

That being said, I'm going to mosey on down to Metriod.

How do you get in Nid? XD  

Zapatorf
Crew

Fairy Alchemist 96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:56 pm
(I'm in Nid 'cause you blocked me by saying Super Mario Galaxy,which is in front of New Super Mario Bros.
And,you're right Zap,I AM A GIRL!! crying )  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 am
Sorry....

Twilight Princess is the only way I can move now...
You guys keep blocking all my paths.

I reckon Fairy can get out of nid in 2 posts.  

GeorgeStow
Crew

Fairy Alchemist 96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:26 am
(Not a problemo xp ))  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:21 am
My bonus for going along that route, the long way round, appears to be to be able to put someone else in nid.
Zapatorf, you're in nid, which means thaf Fairy comes out onto where I was last.
Twilight Princess.

I don't move because of that move, so I'm still on Twilight Princess.  

GeorgeStow
Crew

Zapatorf
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:48 am
Wait... how'd I get in nid? I picked metroid and you picked Twilight Princess.... they're tons of years apart and not even the same series! XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:15 am
I shall trundle forward to Phantom Hourglass,and I thank you very much,Dear George. 3nodding  

Fairy Alchemist 96

GeorgeStow
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 pm
You got put in nid because by me completing a side route, I got to put someone in nid! You.

Now I can move onto MarioKart Wii.  
Guild Games [Play your favourite forum games]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces