Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
No graven images

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laid_black_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 pm
It says in Exodus 20:4: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

So heres my question: I have a lot of anime and video game figures in my room. Same for my brother. Do you think that Exodus 20:4 means like having figures or small statues of your favorite video game or anime characters?

~LBR~ heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:03 pm
Do you use them for worship or worship them as gods?

Graven images and likenesses refer both to aids to worship, that is, tools one might use to help them worship God (e.g. a carving of Jesus on a cross hanging in a church) and to idols in the image of anything in creation that is worshipped as God should be (e.g. the golden calf in Exodus).

Priestley

Laid_black_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:16 pm
ah, i understand. No i do not worship these things. I just have them caus i like them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:33 pm
In that case, there ought not to be a problem with it. I think what's most important is that they have their place and they in no way rob you of your relationship with God.

Good on you. 3nodding

Priestley

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:14 am
Acutally it makes you think.
When does something go so far that it is an Idol?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:12 am
Paranormal Zombiiie
Acutally it makes you think.
When does something go so far that it is an Idol?

When it's worshipped as a god. When it's created for some ritual as though it contains power, e.g. crucifix being kissed, voodoo doll being pierced, etc.. When it becomes an obsession that would otherwise steal one's attention away from one's relationship with Jehovah.

There are quite a few examples mentioned in the Old Testament of idolatry in the forms above. The latter example is a more modern idea, though.

Priestley

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:28 am
An idol can be anything in the modern day. Your job, your significant other, money, even family. It's hard to keep God as a central focus.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:56 pm
ryuu_chan
An idol can be anything in the modern day. Your job, your significant other, money, even family. It's hard to keep God as a central focus.

That's a very broad definition, one which I think is very modern.  

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:37 pm
Though not necessarily bad. Times have changed- we have more stuff, and we have to incorporate that more stuff into our definitions in order to help ourselves stay focused on what really matters. We have to define the things that don't. More stuff means more things to define and categorize.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:48 pm
It seems like a very Buddhist idea, that materialism and ties to worldly things are the source of all suffering.  

Priestley

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff