Steampunk Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:35 pm
So, steampunk has be noticed by MTV, I sure hope it doesn't become the next scene thing to do. I'm actually quite upset about this, at the same time intrigued. I, however, fear that it will lose all meaning. Steampunk is supposed to be using your own creativity and making the stuff you wear or puting things together to make them look steampunk. I hoping companies don't pick up on this steampunk thing and mass produce things already made so that you can have a steampunk outfit within a few minutes of shopping at a hot topic or similar type store.

opninions?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 pm
MTV has noticed Steampunk now?

'Is nothing sacred?' Agh......... stare

I really hope this won't become some new fad that sucks the meaning out of it.....if it does become one it's not like there's anything we can do to stop it. It might open some people's eyes to Steampunk, and others will just use it like some new trend to wear and then drop when the next one comes. If that does does happen, the worst that could happen in the future will be someone saying "Oh you're still following it? That went out years ago...."

Wait this out, see what happens.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:51 pm
I hope it doesn't become some new big trend.

I don't dress steampunk or anything but its one of my favorite styles. Occasionally I'll wear some steampunk goggles that I made or something like that but I don't dress steampunk. However, I love the style and the creativity it takes but I fear it will be lost, much like the Gothic fashion today.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 pm
eek i'm a bit surprised it ever had any meaning, thought it was just a pop-"goth" fashion trend from the start?  

AEtherclaw

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 pm
AEtherclaw
eek i'm a bit surprised it ever had any meaning, thought it was just a pop-"goth" fashion trend from the start?
Really?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 pm
Occasionally I dress with a steam/clockpunk flare, and it seems fairly rare around here. You'd think there'd be more people picking up on it since I'm in a huge city, but No. It's mostly Scenester/Hipster style. (*shudders* ... hippppppstters... gahhh.) Anyhow. I can see it happening. There is a steampunk journal on livejournal and I see lots and lots more hits on "steampunk" every time I search for it. Those market researchers are watching us all the time.

For some reason the band Abney Park seems to be associated with the movement (as argued by many enthusiasts). So I assume the style of dress will become ('un')codified as with every other subgenre of music. Others might say classical music is more steam-punk, but then... classical music is not punk. Or is it?

Steampunk is many things. It is a play on 'cyber-punk'. It is Steam Engines, Clockwork Computers. It is Dirigibles, Airships. It is Mad Science. It is Mary Shelley. It is Jules Verne. It is Metropolis. It is Dark Victoriana. It is Swashbuckling Sky Pirates. And so on.

I'm rambling, but I do have a point. My point is: supposing steampunk gained mtv-status popularity, would that necessarily be a bad thing? IMHO, it would expose people to a beauty they previously did not see in the world. It might open narrow minds. I hope it does.  

trampyre

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:00 pm
think...Captain Shakespeare and crew from the movie "Stardust". sure the movie has a lot of fairytale and magic themes in it, but the entire time spent with capt and crew were pure steampunk....edwardian fashion with a technical twist.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm
Well, I've spent a good long while discussing this with many other people, but I feel compelled to post my opinions on this phenominon here as well.

I'm a pureblood steampunk to the core, and I know just from personal experiance that it takes alot more work than one might think. I seriously doubt it is a style that can just be "picked up." Those who are new to the actual Steampunk scene sunch as myself tend to have been somewhat steampunk in the manner and dress even before they knew what it was. I was always a corset wearing, brown and brass loving, pirate-victorian girl. Steampunk just put a name to it. ((On a side note, I used to call it Punktorian thanks to Emilie Autumn, haha.))

Mainstream movies and Anime might launch more series Steampunk themed, but that doesn't mean that you'll see a bunch of tweens in front of hottopic compairing mechanical wings.

It would be unfortunite if it went the way of "Goth" trends of today though.
I can just picture it now... Cheap mass produced gadgetry... plastic pocket watches and rubber boot covers... Poorly ironed on designs in hoodies... I don't want to think about it...

Also, it'd be pretty cool if more steampunk literature came out. I'm running out of things to read.

And entirely off topic, but...
I loved Stardust! Deffinitly an example of how books should be turned into movies. Stay true to the feeling of the book, but take some creative liberties to make it a good movie. Captian Shakespeare was amazing. <3  

NewAgeAntique

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:17 pm
NewAgeAntique

I loved Stardust! Deffinitly an example of how books should be turned into movies. Stay true to the feeling of the book, but take some creative liberties to make it a good movie. Captian Shakespeare was amazing. <3

how is it off topic? Cpt. shakespeare and co. was a prime example of the beauty of steampunk. The lightening tube he gave tristan was a golden example.

another great example of steampunk noir is the movie "Steamboy" by Katsuhiro Otomo.

not good enough for you? Try the short lived tv series brought to you by the same people that made "xena" and "the lost world", i'm talking about "Around the world in 80 days" with fineas fog and paspartu...pure steampunk bliss.

a little too visual and not enough literal for you? try the graphic novel "Steampunk: Drama Obscura" by Chris Bachalo, Joe Kelly, and Richard Friend. dystopian steampunk bliss...

enjoy!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:24 pm
Keevan Draco
NewAgeAntique

how is it off topic? Cpt. shakespeare and co. was a prime example of the beauty of steampunk. The lightening tube he gave tristan was a golden example.

another great example of steampunk noir is the movie "Steamboy" by Katsuhiro Otomo.

not good enough for you? Try the short lived tv series brought to you by the same people that made "xena" and "the lost world", i'm talking about "Around the world in 80 days" with fineas fog and paspartu...pure steampunk bliss.

a little too visual and not enough literal for you? try the graphic novel "Steampunk: Drama Obscura" by Chris Bachalo, Joe Kelly, and Richard Friend. dystopian steampunk bliss...

enjoy!

Yay! You make me very happy with new things to read and watch.
I've been intending on watching steamboy for a long time now, and for some reason just haven't had the chance to yet. I've heard of the series "Around the world in 80 days," I'll have to watch that as well. And graphic novels almost always make me happy.

Thanks!  

NewAgeAntique

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:00 pm
Cheaply-made "Steampunk" items will one day be purchaseable at Hot Topic. Count on it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Cheaply-made "Steampunk" items will one day be purchaseable at Hot Topic. Count on it.

true, but the day TrippNY cranks out another cheaply made (just like the rest of his items) steampunk frock coat or skinny pants then i'll know the end is near. I'd rather spend 300 on a good quality historical reproduction from a dealer in the reenactment circles (find the caroling societies or the teatotalers and find out who dresses them) that I can alter at will, than pay 100 for one of tripp's crappy items. heck, i'll go to smoke and fire co. for patterns before i'll buy something in the retail stores, and the interpretations that the big name designers will come up with will be a far cry from authentic steampunk.

if any of our members on the east coast are thinking of trying this style, and don't wish to make their own clothing...I would highly suggest hitting the mom and pop clothing stores over in Salem, Mass. The last time I visited there, many of the small shops I parused had many items that could be altered a bit to achieve that desired look for a reasonable price. If I could find my business card profolio i'd post a couple of links for you to look at....

happy hunting!  

Keevan Draco

Mechanical Death

Witty Lunatic

16,325 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Winged 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm
When was steampunk ever on MTV?
D:  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm
Mechanical Death
When was steampunk ever on MTV?
D:
http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/280093/its-airships-pirates-and-goggles.jhtml#id=1595811

Theres a short commercial thing in the beginning.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

NewAgeAntique

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:19 pm
*Starts planning a trip to Salem* mwahahahaha  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items