Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New Year Traditions? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:21 pm
Does anyone here have spiritual traditions tied to the New Year?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:56 pm
It's not all that spiritually based in any way, but I really like having my family with me right at midnight. We don't normally do anything special, but watch the ball drop, but for just that moment I try to make sure that we are all together (hubby and kiddos).  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:09 pm
New Years is celebrated with my husband.
We have pennies ready for the cork from the fizzy wine. Our dinner is a series of fondues, followed by platters of cheeses, meats, fruits, vegetables, chocolates and crackers.

We follow the Wish Box ritual from Dancing with the Sun with a couple minor twists and then we do some divination.

At midnight, we kiss, sip more fizzy wine then retire to bed when the fire works are done. After our evening ritual we call it a night.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:48 pm
I do first footing, if that counts.

Um, in case people don't know what that is: the first person into the house after midnight on New Year's Eve carries with them salt silver and coal/wood to bring luck on the household in the new year. That person is usually rewarded with a glass of whisky. And they shouldn't be a red headed person as that is bad luck. The best luck comes from a dark haired man.  

Sybil Unrest

Calixti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:54 pm
Aside from making me toast the new year with champagne (because apparently my ew face is hilarious), none of my family or friends have any traditions. Except maybe my dad--he insists that dinner on New Year's Eve has to consist of black eyed peas, collard greens, and ham to ensure good luck. No clue why, we haven't done it in years, and when we did do it, I abstained from dinner because both the peas and the collards contained ham fat. ><  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:38 pm
I throw myself into the ocean.
I wash the refuse of the past year off, and keep swimming out into the cold sea until I have a reason to go back.
This helps me to keep in mind what is important in the new year.  

Fiddlers Green

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:40 pm
The Indubitable Katie-Kat
Aside from making me toast the new year with champagne (because apparently my ew face is hilarious), none of my family or friends have any traditions. Except maybe my dad--he insists that dinner on New Year's Eve has to consist of black eyed peas, collard greens, and ham to ensure good luck. No clue why, we haven't done it in years, and when we did do it, I abstained from dinner because both the peas and the collards contained ham fat. ><

It's a southern thing -- my mother makes black eyed peas on new years day every year. And she's the only one who likes them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:04 pm
maenad nuri
The Indubitable Katie-Kat

It's a southern thing -- my mother makes black eyed peas on new years day every year. And she's the only one who likes them.
Figures--my dad's family is southern through and through, and according to oral family history, it's been tradition at least since before the Civil War, when his family actually had money. sweatdrop  

Calixti

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:39 am
I say "Rabbits rabbits rabbits" on the first of every month before I say anything else (when I can remember), so on New Year's I say "Rabbits" six times. That's kinda it. Generally I stay up with whoever I'm with and drink something non-alcoholic with bubbles.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 am
Not insofar as I'm aware.

We get together with family. We eat, we drink, we are merry together.

.. well.. sort of. I tend to sit aside with a favoured cousin and keep one another company. This year we made small-talk while we attempted to crush one another's BloodBowl team into the ground and score points.

I'm getting better at taking longer to die.

Then, around twelve, we do the count-down, we go outside to watch the fireworks, sit together some more and .. we.. go home.  

Maze

RedRoseSpiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:28 am
The only real tradition I have is to spend New Years with my best friend. I can remember only one New Years we didn't spend together and that was several years ago.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:03 pm
I have a new tradition of falling down the stairs. x_x We moved into a new place and on New Years, the first things I did were get up, get ready for work, and fall down the stairs. x_x

I hope it doesn't really become a tradition.  

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 am
We go to my husbands parents house, have a fondue bar, drink WAY too much, watch the ball drop and crash there. I'm also required to eat at least one bite of sourcraut, ah the germans, my eww face is also rather funny.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm
I don't have much of a new year tradition. I have some drinks with whoever I'm hanging with at the time, be it my family or friends. Maybe I should start one, though. I've always wanted to.  

ShadowCatSoul

`Blaise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 pm
I made some resolutions around Yule and stuck with them since then. So, other than that, no traditions. No spiritual traditions.

Though, since my heart and soul was really into those resolutions, I've stuck with most of them. So far.

Better than most years.

>>;

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas