Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Religious or spiritual art

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:55 pm
I was just wondering if anyone did any kind of visual arts to express their spirituality or as a part of their religious rituals. Or even just to try to depict elements within your spiritual beliefs like deities, spirits, beings, the soul, etc.

I've done some art to depict certain Aspects within my own path (see pathway thread for Etherism for an explanation of Aspects).

This particular example is a piece I did to symbolize the Star/Radiance Aspect.

http://dieselsandwich.deviantart.com/art/Star-102324488  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:09 pm
I have. I also hit a bit of a wall. My block printing screwed up some of the cards I made for my personal deck! gonk

Most of my religious art is dedicated to tools anyway.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 pm
TeaDidikai
I have. I also hit a bit of a wall. My block printing screwed up some of the cards I made for my personal deck! gonk

Ah geez. Is there any way to restructure the print job so it works?

Quote:
Most of my religious art is dedicated to tools anyway.

I mostly do it as a visualization tool. For me, the visualizations are often strongest when I first do them and then I get fuzzy memory problems. So I create a depiction of my visualizations and what comes from them so it cements it into my mind.

I've always found that attempting to express a thought cements it in my memory the best. Which is why I always created random study guides when studying. It was like writing down the material for another to study helped me truly gain it in my mind.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:59 pm
LadyBanhammer

Ah geez. Is there any way to restructure the print job so it works?
Some of the cards are shot to hell. I'm going to have to remake them.

Others- I may have to re carve the block and try again. Not a happy camper about this.

Quote:
I mostly do it as a visualization tool. For me, the visualizations are often strongest when I first do them and then I get fuzzy memory problems. So I create a depiction of my visualizations and what comes from them so it cements it into my mind.

I've always found that attempting to express a thought cements it in my memory the best. Which is why I always created random study guides when studying. It was like writing down the material for another to study helped me truly gain it in my mind.
I'm too pragmatic most of the time to have art for art's sake. Almost everything is a functional piece. Even the statue I made Deo has a small box in it to hold a Valknuter.  

TeaDidikai

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:21 pm
I'm not very good at drawing/painting, though I have on occasion done some sketches of things that I have seen while meditating - mostly just as a way to record the experiences.

I am a very visual person, and it kills me that I can't put on paper what I see in my head. I have all these details and colors, and no outlet for them. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 am
TeaDidikai
I'm too pragmatic most of the time to have art for art's sake. Almost everything is a functional piece. Even the statue I made Deo has a small box in it to hold a Valknuter.

I'm a bit of a whimsical person so I've often made things just for the sake of making them. I do find that later on many of the art items I've made have had purpose, use or function beyond what I realized.

A few of my pieces served to vent and express frustration, pain and self hatred built up from my bodily dysphoria (they mostly orientated around mirrors and were very disturbingly surreal)

Some of the other ones served to vent and express the hurt, pain and loss of self worth that I had inflicted on me in the unfortunate emotionally abusive relationships I had been trapped in, in the past. I tend to gravitate to bad treatment and abuse so there's been far more of those pieces of artwork than one would have hoped. >.<

And with this thread as an example, the ones with religious significance are often made without realizing that they have it. I started making the depiction of Star before I realized I was depicting Star at all.

The artwork just came together and I realized, this is the Star/Radiance Aspect. This is how I feel when I channel it, this is what I see, this is what it is in artistic form.

I like those little realizations. Just making something and realizing it has significance later. It makes me feel like a wellspring of artistic energy, always with a subconcious plan for what I want to put forth. (Except when it's a negative significance like the abusive relationship ones. That tends to not feel so great.)  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm
TeaDidikai

I keep bindrunes in it, currently. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:28 am
I draw pictures of the Names occasionally. Sometimes they are just doodles in my school notebooks. I have lots of ankh scribbles and jackals running through my notes. I have one drawing of either Sekhmet or Bast (possibly either with a -Mut; I didn't set out to draw a goddess but one just popped up on my page), and one of Nut, and a fun one I did for a friend with Sekhmet-Mut, Wepwawet-Yinepu, (her Parents), Bast, and Nut (her Beloveds). I'd like to draw more in general, it's something I'm going to work on this year.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I.. did give you that valknuter ya?

Also- neat.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I.. did give you that valknuter ya?

Also- neat.

Ya! I wear it often. It lives on Yggdrasil when I'm not wearing it.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:20 pm
I'm going to learn metal working from a close friend so I can symbol pendants as a channeling focus aid.

^.^  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff