Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why are you voting here?
  Gold? Meep?
  I is the gold burglar!!!
View Results

faerygirl-14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:50 am
I've been thinking about this for a loooong time, but I just realized I could post it... sweatdrop Yeah, real smart... whee

Uhh... anyways... okay, there are some REALLY weird names out there... post them!!!

From Death Note:
Light. Light? What the heck? This is a freaky, deranged, crazy, homocidal mass murderer we're talking about... LIGHT?!?!!? And his last name... Yagami... spell it backwards... go on... did the author know what he was doing there? Maybe the author doesn't like him either... twisted
Mello... That's also weird... Mello is anything BUT mellow... so... uh...? ? ? Am I missing out an something here?

From Bleach:
I have ZERO idea what the author was thinking when he named the main character as a strawberry shortcake... I think it's different in kanji or something... but... uh... really? Not that I really ever liked him... he made my Toushiro-kun suffer... crying

From Fruits Basket:
Hanajima's last name is... saki... wow... I don't know what it is in kanji, but saki means "fortune and happiness" and that kind of stuff... uh...?

And... there's more... but I can't remember right now... crying  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:46 am
faerygirl-14
I've been thinking about this for a loooong time, but I just realized I could post it... sweatdrop Yeah, real smart... whee

Uhh... anyways... okay, there are some REALLY weird names out there... post them!!!

From Death Note:
Light. Light? What the heck? This is a freaky, deranged, crazy, homocidal mass murderer we're talking about... LIGHT?!?!!? And his last name... Yagami... spell it backwards... go on... did the author know what he was doing there? Maybe the author doesn't like him either... twisted
Mello... That's also weird... Mello is anything BUT mellow... so... uh...? ? ? Am I missing out an something here?

From Bleach:
I have ZERO idea what the author was thinking when he named the main character as a strawberry shortcake... I think it's different in kanji or something... but... uh... really? Not that I really ever liked him... he made my Toushiro-kun suffer... crying

From Fruits Basket:
Hanajima's last name is... saki... wow... I don't know what it is in kanji, but saki means "fortune and happiness" and that kind of stuff... uh...?

About Light: This reminds me of a funny idea I came up with on "How to Figure Out Light is Kira in 2-5 steps" (give or take the explanations). You're ranting on HIS name, of all things? Puh-lease. The LABB novel would make your head spin on the subject of names.

Nisioisin wanted to come up with names that seemed like they were real, but weren't (on the risk that someone with the same name would somehow be reading the book or whatever, I actually forgot the reason why), but come on: out of the three names for the victims-- Blackberry Brown, Blues-harp Babysplit, and Quarter Queen-- regrettably, Blackberry Brown seems like the only one that would be given to a real person while still being fake. The other two names are far too ridiculous. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far, and it was better to have alliterative names that WERE real. Just tack on the "any likeness to real people is purely coincidental" disclaimer.

About Ichigo: He's not named after a strawberry shortcake, he's just named after a strawberry, which is the source of some funny jokes within the anime. But check this out. His name = "Ichigo", which means Strawberry. His hair? Strawberry blonde. 3nodding He himself claims in one episode that he wasn't named after a strawberry, and that the name had to be looked at separately. "Ichi" for "one", and "go" for "guardian angel", or something. (It was in the old Lunar subs, so...)
In terms of numbers, however, "ichi" is the character for "one", and "go" for "five", making his name "1 5". His age when the series starts? 15. Add to that, most of his shirts and sweaters in fancy character art carry the number 15 on them.

What was Tite Kubo thinking when he named Ichigo after a strawberry? A LOT of things. cool

And I've never seen Fruits Basket, so I can't say much about it.

UltimaMage3

Count Chocolat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 pm
Weird names all over the place. i've heard some of the strangest in my math class.

Light Yagami. Remember, it was written in Japanese first, not English. Yagami wouldn't be what you're thinking in Japanese, so I doubt that's what Ohba had in mind. I remember Light saying something about his name, spelled with the kanji of darkness and something else, so I doubt that it's exactly in English as well. Also, some authors like the have the character's names be contradicting the person. Also, Yagami is spelled with the kanji of 'god' and 'night'.

Ichigo Kurosaki. He wasn't named after strawberry shortcake. His name means somethign along the lines of protector, like the previous poster said. But like many other names, kanji can be read differently, so it also means 'strawberry'. And it's not all a coincidence. Tite Kubo planned it out and I hadn't grasped exactly how much. Thank you to UltimaMage3 for pointing that out. Love Ichigo, BTW.

As for Saki Hanajima, I was sure that Saki mean "flower" and that's why whenever her face isn't shown, but she's speaking, there's a flower connected to her speech bubble. (Like Arisa can mean fish.) So, I'm not sure about the "fortune and happiness". I'm not an expert in Japanese, so I can't be sure. You may as well be right. And the author could ahve easily made the name fit or contradict the character. I know I like doing that a lot.

There are plenty of strange names out there, not just in fiction. Don't take it all too seriously, since there are strange things authors like to do with names.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:47 pm
UltimaMage3
faerygirl-14

From Death Note:

From Bleach:

From Fruits Basket:

About Light: This reminds me of a funny idea I came up with on "How to Figure Out Light is Kira in 2-5 steps" (give or take the explanations). You're ranting on HIS name, of all things? Puh-lease. The LABB novel would make your head spin on the subject of names.

Nisioisin wanted to come up with names that seemed like they were real, but weren't (on the risk that someone with the same name would somehow be reading the book or whatever, I actually forgot the reason why), but come on: out of the three names for the victims-- Blackberry Brown, Blues-harp Babysplit, and Quarter Queen-- regrettably, Blackberry Brown seems like the only one that would be given to a real person while still being fake. The other two names are far too ridiculous. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far, and it was better to have alliterative names that WERE real. Just tack on the "any likeness to real people is purely coincidental" disclaimer.

About Ichigo: He's not named after a strawberry shortcake, he's just named after a strawberry, which is the source of some funny jokes within the anime. But check this out. His name = "Ichigo", which means Strawberry. His hair? Strawberry blonde. 3nodding He himself claims in one episode that he wasn't named after a strawberry, and that the name had to be looked at separately. "Ichi" for "one", and "go" for "guardian angel", or something. (It was in the old Lunar subs, so...)
In terms of numbers, however, "ichi" is the character for "one", and "go" for "five", making his name "1 5". His age when the series starts? 15. Add to that, most of his shirts and sweaters in fancy character art carry the number 15 on them.

What was Tite Kubo thinking when he named Ichigo after a strawberry? A LOT of things. cool

And I've never seen Fruits Basket, so I can't say much about it.

Yes, I know it's not strawberry shortcake, but that's the name me and my friend came up with. XD Because we hate him... even though he isn't short...

He was fifteen when the series started? eek Seriously? Well... that makes... a little... bit... of sense... Maybe they should have named him ichiban or something... "First" ... but then, you might name him Ichishi or something, "First Death" if you wanted to go with the angel or whatever thing...

Which sub did you say you watched? It's be nice to have someone else figure those things out rather than do them myself... sweatdrop  

faerygirl-14

L Master of Death

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Yo I think the DN author uses common words of nouns for most of the names like "Light" and law in "Lawliet" of course. And even "Misa" in japanese means fish head these r all nouns lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:08 pm
Eh heh... I use colors and nouns like "water, sky, ice, etc" for my names... (mizu, sora, koori) because I'm not very creative... isn't white such a pretty color? Pure white with a dab of turquoise...  

faerygirl-14

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:15 pm
faerygirl-14
And his last name... Yagami... spell it backwards...
トイス!!

I flippin' hate it when people bring this up. It annoys me like you wouldn't believe.

Catch on Everywhere ♪  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm
Good to know that! blaugh
Annoying people is really hard sometimes... stare *looks at annoying non-annoyable real-life friends...*  

faerygirl-14

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:46 pm
faerygirl-14
Good to know that! blaugh
Annoying people is really hard sometimes... stare *looks at annoying non-annoyable real-life friends...*
トイス!!

It's good to know that you take pleasure in being annoying. neutral

Lookin' Lookin' GAA ♪  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:58 pm
It's a relief, actually... I was beginning to think that I was the only one who ever felt annoyeg... stare  

faerygirl-14

tokijin0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:48 pm
I had never noticed the Yagami thing before i read this. It was funny for about a minute after i read it, now its just dumb  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:50 pm
You are talking to a Light-hater here. I will use any ammo I can find. XD
I seriously DO wonder if the author knew, though...  

faerygirl-14

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:29 pm
faerygirl-14
You are talking to a Light-hater here. I will use any ammo I can find. XD
I seriously DO wonder if the author knew, though...
トイス!!

I am also a Light hater, but I think it is petty and meaningless to make fun and taunt one's name.

Black Out Fall Out ♪  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:18 pm
If you want to.  

faerygirl-14

randomnessensues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 am
I actually understand why Light's named the way he is. Lucifer, in Latin, means "light-bringing." With all of the Biblical references in Death Note, that was probably intentional.  
The L Guild Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff